Kirkstall family

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: actually for once csosni might be wrong<LOL..One way of finding out if there is a name for the father would be to see if there was ever a bastardy order/this is an order aplied for by the parish hse lied in to get her to name the supposed father.if a name was given that person was told to pay an amount to the mother,that way the parish avoided paying out of their own funds (think of an ealrlier more eficient Child Support Agency!).Just a thought as we know the name of one of my Devon ancesters only because the parish applied for a Bastardy order. The era that Barlickgirl is intersted in was after the time that local parishes were responsible for the circumstances in this case.The population explosion made this system pretty much unworkable in the larger cities and this responsibilty fell onto the Guardians of the Poor Law UnionsOnly if the persons concerned had applied for Poor relief would they have come to the attention of the Guardians,and from what Barlickgirl has said then there doesnt appear to be any record of this.To confirm this then she would have to research the poor law records for the area,which may not have been in Kirkstall.Cant find anything on the A2A regarding Poor Law records for Leeds post 1834http://www.pricegen.com/resources/illegitimacy.htm
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

barlickgirl

Post by barlickgirl »

Thanks for the web-site it's really interesting to read through.I think that Mary Ann had the care and support of family up until her marriage. She's listed on the 1871 as Mary Ann Moule age 11 and her Grandfather and her Aunts and cousins are all in the same house. It was the same year that Hannah died and so they could have been there for her funeral etc.In the 1881 census Mary Ann age 19 is listed with her Aunt SArah and many cousins, her name was changed back to Austin by then, so I'm assumming that Luke Moule had not adopted her. She married John Gaunt later that year. I doubt she had need for parish relief. I love to look at the parish records though.
Jill Ross

Si

Post by Si »

barlickgirl wrote: I'm hoping that this is the correct forum for help with my Austin family who came from Kirstall.Benjamin Austin, Hannah's Grandfather had 2 children who the parish records state were born in JE Brook Mill in Kirkstall. A google of this JE Brook was probably the tenant of what is St Ann's Mill today. There may be some connection with the Brook and Austin families as both Hannah and her niece Mary Emma Lunn had boys named John Edward, the name appears elsewhere in my family tree in this family as well. A quick search of Leodis for St Ann(e)(')s Mill, Kirkstall, throws up these two 1950s images.Caption:"25th January 1955. View across Clarence Field (Headingley RUFC) towards St Ann's Mills with factory chimney in view. The two smaller buildings just in front of the mill are pavilions on Clarence Field."    
Attachments
__TFMF_outmy3fkh3hslf2zh2kyvi45_30761719-c2f2-4b12-948e-6481f0d66dc9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_outmy3fkh3hslf2zh2kyvi45_30761719-c2f2-4b12-948e-6481f0d66dc9_0_main.jpg (30.27 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

Si

Post by Si »

Caption:"14th October 1953. Looking south east along Bridge Road towards crossroads with Commercial Road and Abbey Road. Star and Garter Hotel and public house is on the left. Telegraph poles and streetlamps are along the broken stone wall. A caravan and mobile workman's hut are in the centre. Savins Mills can be seen in the background. At this time these were the premises of Henry Jenkinson Ltd, Abbey Printing Works."
Attachments
__TFMF_outmy3fkh3hslf2zh2kyvi45_52bd1b85-ce5a-4704-aebb-88d88f607391_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_outmy3fkh3hslf2zh2kyvi45_52bd1b85-ce5a-4704-aebb-88d88f607391_0_main.jpg (40.1 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

Joanne

Post by Joanne »

I also have John Edward Austin in my tree, he was my great great great grandfather, I can't help with your paternity query but do have details of his descendants, my email address is [email protected] if you wish to contact meJoanne

barlickgirl

Post by barlickgirl »

Joanne wrote: I also have John Edward Austin in my tree, he was my great great great grandfather, I can't help with your paternity query but do have details of his descendants, my email address is [email protected] if you wish to contact meJoanne Hi Joanne,So nice to hear from you. I would love to know more about John Edward and have sent you an email. Thanks so much for offering to share information with me.I should warn you that your Gt Gt Gt Gt Grandmother, Hannah is probably that "skeleton" in the Austin closet :-) !Kind regards,Jill
Jill Ross

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Hi Barlickgirl !are you still in touch with Dakota ?Would be nice if she could bring us up to datewith her Leeds !870's thread-amazing stories which I thinkmost of the forum members are still interested in.Thanks
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

barlickgirl

Post by barlickgirl »

dogduke wrote: Hi Barlickgirl !are you still in touch with Dakota ?Would be nice if she could bring us up to datewith her Leeds !870's thread-amazing stories which I thinkmost of the forum members are still interested in.Thanks Yes definitely, I'll get her to catch everyone up with her latest findings. She and I have been tracing our Tetley side and traced them to Chellow Grange in the 1800's. We only thought to look in that area after a cousin visited her with some family heirlooms. Dakota has candle sticks that were supposed to be given to the family by the Mayor of Bradford and we have since learnt that a Tetley once held that office. We are finding so much more than wishful thinking attached to her families stories.The Parish records are keeping us both busy as well! Such a goldmine.Cheers,Jill
Jill Ross