where is Uncle Eric???

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
weenie

Post by weenie »

hi all, i wanted to locate the grave number of my Gt Grandmother, and who was in the grave with her? at Armley Hilltop cemetary, we all presumed that it was Nellie Helliwell (my Gt Grandmother) her son Eric and one of her husbands but didnt know which one. so on doing my research found the grave number G 235 and Lawnswood told me her first husband James Humphries was buried first in 1938 but no other people just mt Gt grandmother and my Gt grandfather. now our family all know this is a family plot for 4 people with the space left for the next one in line who wishes to be buried, with themMy grandmother was cremated as by her wishes and so was my uncle her brother Ken (2 months ago) so as the plot now goes down to my mum who is the next in line, we wanted to find out where and which husband was with them. we now dont know what happend to Eric Humphries? he was born 1926 Dec qtr, and died March 1929 of meningitus age 2 registerd Leeds Northand should have been in there first, there is no record of him been in Armley Hilltop, Beckett Street, or Harehills, Would anyone be able to help me or suggest what to do next on the search for my Gt Uncle Eric and where he is buried? any help much appriciated Weenie

jim

Post by jim »

A delicate subject, but as cremation was usual for your family, have you considered that cremated remains are not inevitably buried?. Sometimes families keep them in urns, often they are "scattered" at some place with relevance to the family. Under such circumstances there may be no record of a site. I speak from family experience.    

weenie

Post by weenie »

my Nana died in 1979 and was the first one as we all think in this line of the family, Eric died 1929, there was never a thought of Eric been cremated, did they happen in 1929?? many thankx

jim

Post by jim »

Cremation goes back to pre-historic times, but the 1902 Cremation Act seems to be the modern era start. I only proposed that as a possibility in the absence of any record of a burial.The thought occurs that the cause of Eric's death                     ( meningitis, with a possibility of hospitalisation ) may have a bearing.