Leeds in the 1870s

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
barlickgirl

Post by barlickgirl »

DerekT wrote: Hi, Dakota and all those wonderful folk who have helped with your research. I was interested particularly as members of my family also lived in that part of Leeds in the 1800s and up to about 1980. My paternal grandmother lived most of her life in "The Bayswaters" which are not far from Glebe Street, but on the other side of the hospital and cemetery. My gran. died at age 96 and is reputed to have only visited a doctor once in her early 90s, when she was blown over by the wind! Or so my Dad used to tell.    My own research only started a few months ago, so I am virtually at the "bare bones" stage. I have to rely on open sites such as LDS, sadly unreliable, with some help from others. AsI live far from home in wildest Africa the opportunities for "footwork" are limited, but it is great fun. Anyway, good luck to you, and "Keep On Keeping On". Welcome to the thread DerekT. Your Gran lived to a great old age, what a feat for those days especially! I understand your difficulties in researching from so far away and I'm happy to help as well if I can. I've been trying to trace the person likely to be the last male descendant in my Holdsworth line. His last known destination was South Africa, so I understand your frustrations, with degree of difficulty. Let us know how we can help!hi Lis and Dogduke, happy Easter!
Jill Ross

Yorkshirerose

Post by Yorkshirerose »

Hi Derek T. What part of the Bayswaters did your family live? My parents and grandparents also lived there, and I lived there from about 1935 to 1952.    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Dakota wrote: Thanks - I've been side tracked from my father's side of the family to my mother's side. I was contacted by someone who saw my tree and had information that my great grandfather was illegitimate. He was the son of who I had thought was his older sister, but turns out she was his mother. And I'm still searching on the English side - am enjoying the parish records that have been put online - Barlick Girl and I have been looking them over and comparing notes and finding/confirming names, relationships, dates, etc. So, it's good to be back with you guys. Be very very very careful with those Ancestry Parish records for West Yorkshire.I have come across loads of mistakes in surnames that have either been missed,mistranscribed or even attributed to the wrong parish altogether.The transcribing did not occur in the UK,it was in a country where English is not the first language and i believe i have hilighted and reported dozens and dozens errors,and that just those that are in my tree.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Dakota

Post by Dakota »

Oh snap.! But thanks for the warning - I'll look harder as I review them. I was pretty excited about them as they seemed to open up a whole new window for us who are far, far away.

carith

Post by carith »

Fully agree with cnosni on this. I have researched parish christening records via ancestry for the late 1700s finding what i believed to be correct records but when cross referenced at west yorshire archives the parents had different christian names.I believe the archives to contain more accurate records.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

carith wrote: Fully agree with cnosni on this. I have researched parish christening records via ancestry for the late 1700s finding what i believed to be correct records but when cross referenced at west yorshire archives the parents had different christian names.I believe the archives to contain more accurate records. Its a mixture i think,there are problems with the record sbeing transcribed by persons who are not entirely familiar with English/British surnames and place names,the location of those places and when the actual records are indexed for the site.An example is a search for some of my "Page" ancestors on the site shows that they were baptised/married/died at Harewood,whereas from doing the PR myself,i know it was Horsforth.Yet when you look at the actual images they have for "Harewood" the original handwritten titl clearly says "Horsforth",the place names in the events are around Horsforth AND the Archives own reference number at the bottom of each scanned page clearly relates to Horsforth.I take my hat off to Ancestry fro doing what they have,it has saved years of research,and i mean years,however the number of mistakes do make things quite hard,especially those where they have only put in a christian name on the index,even though to a native of these islands we can see what the surname actually is.For anyone using the West Yorkshire records i would suggest,when looking for a baptism,to put in the child and fathers first name on an "exact" search with a time period of plus or minus 2 to 5 years and then go through the results.There may be a lot of results but at least it should overcome any mistakes as to wrong parish,incorrect or no surname.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

Hi everyone,I started at page 1 and just finished up to page 12. Its taken me 2 hours laugh. What a fab story and all the help that has been given is a lovely thing. As mentioned though the times were hard and living in Armley when young it still was hard even in the 50's and 60's. We still had an outdoor toilet until I was 16. It was not very nice in Winter trying to get into the tin bath in front of the fire especially in about 3 inches of water laugh. The washing was hung out across the streets as the picture showed on page ? and I remember once when a lorry decided to take our street as a short cut and he took the washing with him as it cut the washing line. All the women came out of their houses and chased the lorry up the street shouting. He soon stopped and the lady whose washing it was had to take it off of the back of the lorry and wash it again. It had to be a coal lorry. I dont think he ever tried that as he nearly was lynched. Also about walking in those days. I used to walk miles when I was a child. There were no computer games to keep you in. I used to do about 10 miles a day when it was the school holidays and I ran most of them. The freedom was great and I can still chase a bus now even though I am in my 60's laugh. Frighten the bus driver to death when I jump on and show my free bus pass. Not related to any of your family Dakota but I see you have the Yorkshire sense of humour you seem to have inherited from your family. That will keep you going until you are old. Well done everyone and great to see people on form and showing the true Yorkshire grit I remember well when I was younger. They dont really have it as much here in Nottinghamshire. Miss it all so thats why I come back 'home' regularly, will be back in Leeds next Monday. Take care all and good luck in your ancestor searching.    
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

Caron

Post by Caron »

Yeh, you've really to check and double check when re searching family.Yorkshire BMD have my nans maiden name as WAUD when it's WARD. Had me confused for a while.I'm also down as married in Guiseley not Leeds. Took me ages to find it.Which reminds me to ask, I was married in the registry office on Oxford Road, Guiseley. The house looks to me as though it may be listed yet I cannot find anything out re the place.Looks rather a grand house to me.Does anyone know who it belonged to originally?Thanks for any news.    

DerekT

Post by DerekT »

Yorkshirerose wrote: Hi Derek T. What part of the Bayswaters did your family live? My parents and grandparents also lived there, and I lived there from about 1935 to 1952.     Hi Yorkshire Rose. My Grandparents lived in Edgware Mount(No. 5) from 1901 +/- Gran was still there when she died in1964. Brought up two sons, two daughters. Dad married Mum at St. Aidans in 1922. Mum's address at that time was 14 Elford Grove. Maiden name "Smith". Dad's brother Harry married and continued to live in Edgware Mt. ( No.9, I think) The family later went to Australia. There is a family mystery about the surname which was recorded as Tunnington after 1881 but as Taylor until 1881 census when it became Taylor Tunnington. How can a family suddenly acquire a new name? In the Lottery? or on the run????

DerekT

Post by DerekT »

Yorkshirerose wrote: Hi Derek T. What part of the Bayswaters did your family live? My parents and grandparents also lived there, and I lived there from about 1935 to 1952.     Hi, again, I see you are in Perth WA. Some of my children and grandchildren live in Bunbury, just a step away! DerekT