Leeds in the 1870s

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Don't forget also there is still the Yeoman of the guard, more familiarly known as Beefeaters.From memory they must be single, retired from the forces and have been of rank no lower than NCO
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: Quote Cnosni:"Si's grandad was in that Battalion as well (i think),not sure if he chased up any more on him. Am going back to Serre in April,so Si if you are reading then let me know if you did any more digging on your grandad,im sure some of you others will remeber Si's story about his grandad "nutting" a teenage mugger."Hi Chris. Yes, he was. I haven't been able to dig up much more, I'm afraid, due to time and financial restrictions! Incidentally, it was my great grandad who was in the Dukes - one grandad was in the Black Watch, and the other was in a reserved occupation (cooper.) The "nutting incident" was my uncle.From the book "British Army Cap Badges of the First World War" by Peter Doyle and Chris Foster, I found this: "The Yeomanry was the cavalry of the Territorial Force in 1914. Yeomanry regiments had been raised through history to assist in the defence of the nation in times of crisis, particularly when there was a threat...from the French...In the First World War, many of the Yeomanry regiments would have to abandon their horses and fight as dismounted infantry."Yeomanry regiments still existed in the Second World War, for example, the 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry who fought in Sherman tanks as part of 33rd Armoured Brigade.Sorry to go of topic a bit!     Wow,imagine that,some bloke from Nottingham provides his own Sherman tank to fight in As for your great grandad (was it William Shires?) then a quick letter to the Dukes regiment and a cheque for about £20 and the archivist will provide you the necessary info.You never know he might have been at Serre with my great uncle.Its worth a punt mate.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

Will do, Chris.

HelenG

Post by HelenG »

cnosni wrote: Hi cnosni,appologies for hijacking this thread but just wondering if you could help with the grave number of my GG grandfather's grave in Beckett St cememtery.I very much doubt there would be a headstone to find.His name was Moses Mann.He was buried there on May 28th 1910(according to the funeral card I have) His wife Elizabeth was also buried there Jan 10th 1929.Any info would be greatly appreciated Hi LilysmumYou're in luckMoses Mann Burial 59770 grave 19077Elizabeth Mann Burial 19077 grave 19077So Moses and Elizabeth are buried together.Further good news,there is a record of the memorial inscription as well,though Elizabeth isnt mentioned.However is would appear that Moses mother Ann,and Ann's mother Mary Lockyer are in grave 19077,here is the Monumental Inscription as it appears on the Leeds Indexers cd rom,originally copied by the Frirnds of Beckett Street CemeteryInto Thy Hands i Commend My SpiritIn Memory Of Ann Manndied May 18th 1873 aged 54Her End Was PeaceAlsoMary LockyerMother to the AboveDied Feb 7th 1888 aged 87 yrsAlsoMoses Son Of Ann MannDied May 24th 1910Aged 56 yrsMany thanks Cnosni, I finally got to Beckett St Cemetery and with no idea where to start looking and only armed with the grave number you kindly looked up for me and my sister for help we thought we had little chance of finding the long lost family grave amongst the sea of headstones while my aunt was having a cataract op at Jimmys. We found it within 10 minutes! nothing short of a miracle. Maybe not the best place to be wandering round at 7.45am but mission accomplished, and another little piece added to the jigsaw, thanks to your help ( Lilysmum now HelenG)

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

HelenG wrote: cnosni wrote: Hi cnosni,appologies for hijacking this thread but just wondering if you could help with the grave number of my GG grandfather's grave in Beckett St cememtery.I very much doubt there would be a headstone to find.His name was Moses Mann.He was buried there on May 28th 1910(according to the funeral card I have) His wife Elizabeth was also buried there Jan 10th 1929.Any info would be greatly appreciated Hi LilysmumYou're in luckMoses Mann Burial 59770 grave 19077Elizabeth Mann Burial 19077 grave 19077So Moses and Elizabeth are buried together.Further good news,there is a record of the memorial inscription as well,though Elizabeth isnt mentioned.However is would appear that Moses mother Ann,and Ann's mother Mary Lockyer are in grave 19077,here is the Monumental Inscription as it appears on the Leeds Indexers cd rom,originally copied by the Frirnds of Beckett Street CemeteryInto Thy Hands i Commend My SpiritIn Memory Of Ann Manndied May 18th 1873 aged 54Her End Was PeaceAlsoMary LockyerMother to the AboveDied Feb 7th 1888 aged 87 yrsAlsoMoses Son Of Ann MannDied May 24th 1910Aged 56 yrsMany thanks Cnosni, I finally got to Beckett St Cemetery and with no idea where to start looking and only armed with the grave number you kindly looked up for me and my sister for help we thought we had little chance of finding the long lost family grave amongst the sea of headstones while my aunt was having a cataract op at Jimmys. We found it within 10 minutes! nothing short of a miracle. Maybe not the best place to be wandering round at 7.45am but mission accomplished, and another little piece added to the jigsaw, thanks to your help ( Lilysmum now HelenG) Its a pleasure to help.Incidentally the lady who recently started a thread about St Marks in Woodhouse has done a very similar thing for me with regards my ancestors who used that church.Everyone helps each other in FH,long may it continue.PS,forgot to mention i have some Manns i my tree,but thats 18th century and havent really followed them down yet.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

DerekT

Post by DerekT »

Hi, Dakota and all those wonderful folk who have helped with your research. I was interested particularly as members of my family also lived in that part of Leeds in the 1800s and up to about 1980. My paternal grandmother lived most of her life in "The Bayswaters" which are not far from Glebe Street, but on the other side of the hospital and cemetery. My gran. died at age 96 and is reputed to have only visited a doctor once in her early 90s, when she was blown over by the wind! Or so my Dad used to tell.    My own research only started a few months ago, so I am virtually at the "bare bones" stage. I have to rely on open sites such as LDS, sadly unreliable, with some help from others. AsI live far from home in wildest Africa the opportunities for "footwork" are limited, but it is great fun. Anyway, good luck to you, and "Keep On Keeping On".

Dakota

Post by Dakota »

I wouldn't know all that I know without the kind and generous assistance and enthusiasm of the folks on this website. I'm constantly searching and finding new information - hopefully I'll never be able to say I know all that I need to know, it's only interesting when I have a tidbit to chase or a hint of something to look into. I don't know if I can be of any help to you, but feel free to ask and I'll do what I can. Take care.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Dakota wrote: I wouldn't know all that I know without the kind and generous assistance and enthusiasm of the folks on this website. I'm constantly searching and finding new information - hopefully I'll never be able to say I know all that I need to know, it's only interesting when I have a tidbit to chase or a hint of something to look into. I don't know if I can be of any help to you, but feel free to ask and I'll do what I can. Take care. Welcome back !
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Dakota

Post by Dakota »

Thanks - I've been side tracked from my father's side of the family to my mother's side. I was contacted by someone who saw my tree and had information that my great grandfather was illegitimate. He was the son of who I had thought was his older sister, but turns out she was his mother. And I'm still searching on the English side - am enjoying the parish records that have been put online - Barlick Girl and I have been looking them over and comparing notes and finding/confirming names, relationships, dates, etc. So, it's good to be back with you guys.

barlickgirl

Post by barlickgirl »

DerekT wrote: Hi, Dakota and all those wonderful folk who have helped with your research. I was interested particularly as members of my family also lived in that part of Leeds in the 1800s and up to about 1980. My paternal grandmother lived most of her life in "The Bayswaters" which are not far from Glebe Street, but on the other side of the hospital and cemetery. My gran. died at age 96 and is reputed to have only visited a doctor once in her early 90s, when she was blown over by the wind! Or so my Dad used to tell.    My own research only started a few months ago, so I am virtually at the "bare bones" stage. I have to rely on open sites such as LDS, sadly unreliable, with some help from others. AsI live far from home in wildest Africa the opportunities for "footwork" are limited, but it is great fun. Anyway, good luck to you, and "Keep On Keeping On". Welcome to the thread DerekT. Your Gran lived to a great old age, what a feat for those days especially! I understand your difficulties in researching from so far away and I'm happy to help as well if I can. I've been trying to trace the person likely to be the last male descendant in my Holdsworth line. His last known destination was South Africa, so I understand your frustrations, with degree of difficulty. Let us know how we can help!hi Lis and Dogduke, happy Easter!
Jill Ross