Chelsea Pensioners

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Does anyone on this excellent site know what qualifies an ex-soldier to be considered for entry to the Royal Hospital, Chelsea? Thanks to Cnosni I have now found out that my Grandad,who was discharged from the Army in July 1916 applied to be considered a Chelsea Pensioner. He joined up in 1899 and after service in South Africa was placed on reserve and called to the colours again in 1914 but was discharged with chronic Nephritis on the date mentioned above His application was refused with no reason given . Why would he have been refused I wonder?
ex-Armley lad

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

This should tell youhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_pensioner
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

buffaloskinner wrote: This should tell youhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_pensioner Thanks buffaloskinner,I knew I should have looked on wiki! I now see why he was refused,he had 3 daughters under 16.
ex-Armley lad

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

buffaloskinner wrote: This should tell youhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_pensioner 2nd Avatatar ive seen for you today Buffy,how mant different Buffaloes can you have?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Love my Buffalos Cnosni    

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

buffaloskinner wrote: Love my Buffalos Cnosni Looks more like a Bison to me,Bill! lolSave us a bison-ful of buffalo stew! (Plse take the horns outfirst)

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Awk AwkScientifically, the American Buffalo is named Bison and belongs to Bovidae family of mammals, as do domestic cattle. Because history has so ingrained in us the name "Buffalo", we still use it, although "Bison" and "Buffalo" are used interchangeably. So there we have it.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

buffaloskinner wrote: Awk AwkScientifically, the American Buffalo is named Bison and belongs to Bovidae family of mammals, as do domestic cattle. Because history has so ingrained in us the name "Buffalo", we still use it, although "Bison" and "Buffalo" are used interchangeably. So there we have it. There Arry - straight from the bovine's mouth for yer

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

chameleon wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: Awk AwkScientifically, the American Buffalo is named Bison and belongs to Bovidae family of mammals, as do domestic cattle. Because history has so ingrained in us the name "Buffalo", we still use it, although "Bison" and "Buffalo" are used interchangeably. So there we have it. There Arry - straight from the bovine's mouth for yer Sounds like a load of bull to me! And a far cry from Chelsea Pensioners!
ex-Armley lad

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

chameleon wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: Awk AwkScientifically, the American Buffalo is named Bison and belongs to Bovidae family of mammals, as do domestic cattle. Because history has so ingrained in us the name "Buffalo", we still use it, although "Bison" and "Buffalo" are used interchangeably. So there we have it. There Arry - straight from the bovine's mouth for yer Better than from t'other end,I suppose! lolThanks B'skinner for the info providedNow for me midday cup o' Bovril!