Is it possible to access Royal Navy Court Marshall records?

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

My stepfather claimed to have been thrown out of the Royal Navy after a Court Marshall for being caught in bed with another sailor, he insisted they were just shacked up really I say claimed because he was the kind of guy that if he told you the sky was blue you'd nip outside and check just to be on the safe side, but i do know that he left the navy one way or another.Datewise it would have been cira 1960s, he was born in 1943 and i believe signed up aged 15, i don't know his movements that well before 1971 but know he had a previous marriage as well, so guessing he bombed in the navy after not so many years.The only other thing i know about that is he served on HMS Ganges, he had a commemorative metal mug that was engraved that they gave him when he left.Come to think of it, are RN records from that era accessible at all?
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I think they might be covered under the Official Secrets Act, but then again they might not.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

There seems to be a 75 year embargo on courts martial records. There is an HMS Ganges Association with a forum. Might be worth asking if anyone remembers him?http://www.hmsgangesassoc.org/notices

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

Thank you for that geordie! It never occured to me such a thing might exist.Now i just need to live until 70 something to outwait the sealed records O_o
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

You might be best advised to try 'Court Martial' rather than 'Court Marshall'!!!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

Do i have to wait another 70 years for that? Doh!

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Crazy Jane wrote: My stepfather claimed to have been thrown out of the Royal Navy after a Court Marshall for being caught in bed with another sailor, he insisted they were just shacked up really I say claimed because he was the kind of guy that if he told you the sky was blue you'd nip outside and check just to be on the safe side, but i do know that he left the navy one way or another.Datewise it would have been cira 1960s, he was born in 1943 and i believe signed up aged 15, i don't know his movements that well before 1971 but know he had a previous marriage as well, so guessing he bombed in the navy after not so many years.The only other thing i know about that is he served on HMS Ganges, he had a commemorative metal mug that was engraved that they gave him when he left.Come to think of it, are RN records from that era accessible at all? Difficult in a hammock, I should think!!!Cheeky!l!

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: Crazy Jane wrote: My stepfather claimed to have been thrown out of the Royal Navy after a Court Marshall for being caught in bed with another sailor, he insisted they were just shacked up really I say claimed because he was the kind of guy that if he told you the sky was blue you'd nip outside and check just to be on the safe side, but i do know that he left the navy one way or another.Datewise it would have been cira 1960s, he was born in 1943 and i believe signed up aged 15, i don't know his movements that well before 1971 but know he had a previous marriage as well, so guessing he bombed in the navy after not so many years.The only other thing i know about that is he served on HMS Ganges, he had a commemorative metal mug that was engraved that they gave him when he left.Come to think of it, are RN records from that era accessible at all? Difficult in a hammock, I should think!!!Cheeky!l! PS Wonder if he found the Golden rivet?

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: Crazy Jane wrote: My stepfather claimed to have been thrown out of the Royal Navy after a Court Marshall for being caught in bed with another sailor, he insisted they were just shacked up really I say claimed because he was the kind of guy that if he told you the sky was blue you'd nip outside and check just to be on the safe side, but i do know that he left the navy one way or another.Datewise it would have been cira 1960s, he was born in 1943 and i believe signed up aged 15, i don't know his movements that well before 1971 but know he had a previous marriage as well, so guessing he bombed in the navy after not so many years.The only other thing i know about that is he served on HMS Ganges, he had a commemorative metal mug that was engraved that they gave him when he left.Come to think of it, are RN records from that era accessible at all? Difficult in a hammock, I should think!!!Cheeky!l! PS Wonder if he found the Golden rivet? It's beginning to sound like the old saw"'twas on the good ship Venus By God you should have seen us, The figurehead was a whore's backside" I'll not go further or I'll the wrath of the censor !LOL
ex-Armley lad

Keg

Post by Keg »

If i remember correctly, HMS Ganges was a Shore Training Establishment ( hang on will google it)- yes it was, near Ipswitch. According to the website, there is a HMS Ganges association, might be worth a look.Hope this helpsTim
Keg