Harold Pearson

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Ched

Post by Ched »

Hi, I'm not sure exactly what to do here as this is a bit new to me. I am researching my father Harold Pearson who was born in Toft Lane, Wortley in 1901. I am not sure at this stage that I want to go much further back than my grandfather but am keen to find out what I can. I have a few pages of an autobiography written by my father when he was ill in the 50s which tells of his early life in Wortley. His father, my grandfather, Walter Pearson was an engine stoker on the railways (discovered on the 1901 census) and was promoted to an engine driver and moved to Hull (as shown on 1911 census).I know that my Dad was a very proud Yorkshire man. He was in WWI as I have a medal for that but cannot read his service number so am looking into that. After the war he joined Leeds City Police as a fireman and remained in that career for the rest of his working life albeit in Berkshire and Hampshire, where he retired in 1951 from ill health as Divisional Officer. He was awarded an MBE in 1941 for services to Wokingham Rural District Council.He died in 1963 when I was 10 years old and never spoke much about his life to my Mum so I only have limited knowledge. I also don't think I have ever been to Leeds! The autobiographical pages I mentioned above are in his own handwriting which I have now typed out, and are quite descriptive. I don't know if anyone is interested in reading them, although only the first 2 pages are about Leeds, the rest is about his life in Hull. If anyone can shed any light on the area mentioned I would like to know. I would also like to know a bit about his father and his occupation.Thanks for reading.

ceejaylufc

Post by ceejaylufc »

Hello, looking at Walter Pearson, I have him in 1891 was being a cartwright, and living at Football, Yeadon with his grandmother Mary and parents Charles and Annie and brothers lawrence and George. His father Charles was a cloth Presser and was born in Leeds in 1859. his mother Annie was a housemaid and was born in Otley in 1861.In 1881, he was living with his grandparents William and Mary and father Charles in High Street, Yeadon. Charles was classed as being a fur carrier. Walter's mother was not at the address at the time of the census. Hope that's OK to be going on with

Si

Post by Si »

Just to clear up any possible confusion for Ched, Football is the name of a street in Yeadon. Not Football Street, or Terrace, or Lane - just Football. There is a large painting of a modern black and white football on the gable end.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Can't see a Toft Lane on the 1906 map, there's a Toft Street and Toft Place. Here's Toft Street in 1939:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 58_6307619

Ched

Post by Ched »

Hi and thank you to all who have answered my message. I couldn't find a Toft Lane either, but I was only looking on Google, so presumed it had disappeared. In the writing my Father says their house was in the same street as a school, then known as a Board School. there was also a general store and fish & chip shop. There were also a lot of long black sheds producing forced rhubarb nearby. I agree with the 1881 Census info, but I had found a different Walter for 1891 living in St Mary Bishopshill Senior, York. I presumed this was him as at 13 he was a scholar and his father Charles was a Signal Man, hence the railway connection. I did think it was odd that he was in York, so I am not sure now which is the right one. Does anyone know which railway company Walter would have worked for? Again Dad mentions he would take a goods train from Leeds to Liverpool, Crewe or Shrewsbury. He was then promoted to passenger trains.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

No school near the Tofts on the 1906 map. I don't know the area very well though.

ceejaylufc

Post by ceejaylufc »

Ched wrote: I agree with the 1881 Census info, but I had found a different Walter for 1891 living in St Mary Bishopshill Senior, York. I presumed this was him as at 13 he was a scholar and his father Charles was a Signal Man, hence the railway connection. I did think it was odd that he was in York, so I am not sure now which is the right one. What I was looking at Ched was the 1911 census, where it tells me that Walter was born in Yeadon, Leeds. I looked at the York 1891 census that you were talking about, but that Walter Pearson was born in York. I can see where you are coming from though, in that his father was a signalman.Looking back on the censuses, Walter's birthplace has always been Yeadon also.ps - On looking at the 1901 census (the image), its actually Toft Street, found Toft Street on Leodishttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... 5_48481387 - hope the link works    

Pearson

Post by Pearson »

Ched wrote: Hi, I'm not sure exactly what to do here as this is a bit new to me. I am researching my father Harold Pearson who was born in Toft Lane, Wortley in 1901. I am not sure at this stage that I want to go much further back than my grandfather but am keen to find out what I can. I have a few pages of an autobiography written by my father when he was ill in the 50s which tells of his early life in Wortley. His father, my grandfather, Walter Pearson was an engine stoker on the railways (discovered on the 1901 census) and was promoted to an engine driver and moved to Hull (as shown on 1911 census).I know that my Dad was a very proud Yorkshire man. He was in WWI as I have a medal for that but cannot read his service number so am looking into that. After the war he joined Leeds City Police as a fireman and remained in that career for the rest of his working life albeit in Berkshire and Hampshire, where he retired in 1951 from ill health as Divisional Officer. He was awarded an MBE in 1941 for services to Wokingham Rural District Council.He died in 1963 when I was 10 years old and never spoke much about his life to my Mum so I only have limited knowledge. I also don't think I have ever been to Leeds! The autobiographical pages I mentioned above are in his own handwriting which I have now typed out, and are quite descriptive. I don't know if anyone is interested in reading them, although only the first 2 pages are about Leeds, the rest is about his life in Hull. If anyone can shed any light on the area mentioned I would like to know. I would also like to know a bit about his father and his occupation.Thanks for reading. My husband's Grandfather was called Harold Pearson who was born at 14 Toft Street, Wortley in 1901. He was a Commercial Motor Driver (at time of marriage) , worked for Needlers Confectioners, then became the Chauffeur for the Chief of Police in Leeds, then promoted to (Fire) Engine Driver with Leeds Fire Brigade until 1941. He was awarded an MBE in Woking for fighting a fire for 4 days (or so we believe). He had a younger brother called Clarence. Their parents were Walter and Florence Pearson. Walter was a Railway Stoker then became a Master Confectioner. Sadly my FIL lost touch with his Father after his parents marriage broke up and his Mother refused to let him have any contact with Harold and his new family. We would love some more information if you think this is the same Harold Pearson. Having read your story, we believe it is the same person and would be very interested in any information you have about Harold. We have a few photos of Harold in his uniform etc. We do have a family tree with more information.

Ched

Post by Ched »

I can't believe this last message, and I'm a bit in shock! Please can you contact me direct, I'm sure we are talking about the same man. I need to read your message again as I can't get my head round it all.    

Croggy2

Post by Croggy2 »

Gosh, that is amazing!I hope you can have a family reunion soon (or at least swap information).