gay lane Otley

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Si

Post by Si »

stutterdog wrote: Si wrote: The 1909 OS map shows three premises to the north of where the chippy (55) is now, and four premises where Tate's yard is. This must be proof that The Yeoman (at least) has been re-numbered. The stretch of road between the Leeds Road junction, and the Birdcage Walk junction was called Chevin Bottom, and has no buildings (just a field) opposite the Auction Mart. This is also the case on the Tithe map. PS The reason I'm interested in this thread, is because I can see all these places from my attic dormer!      I wonder if before Leeds road was named ,is it possible that property round the bend was actually on Gay Ln and the planners pinched a bit of it to become the start of Leeds Rd?Just a thought. That's what I was thinking. It must have been called something - obviously not Leeds Road, as it didn't go there! I think it probably ended near Stubbings Farm, just beyond what is now the bye-pass roundabout. I don't have a map old enough that shows it. The trouble is, an old Victorian photo of that junction clearly shows that the main road continued straight up the Chevin, reversing the junction, if you see what I mean.