district boundaries in leeds

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Has any one out there got a map showing the boundary's of Armley,Wortley and New Wortley?I was born in Armley nere the old Castleton School .On the Leodis site there are some old streets on Armley road only 100yds down that says these streets are in Wortley.I'd like to know where the exact boundary starts and finishes. Any one help? Thanks in anticipation.
ex-Armley lad

weenie

Post by weenie »

according to godfrey map Holbeck and new wortley, new wortley goes to as far as St Barts church, to HMP, and as far as Water lane nr Whitehall road, if you could give specific street names i will have a look for you

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

weenie wrote: according to godfrey map Holbeck and new wortley, new wortley goes to as far as St Barts church, to HMP, and as far as Water lane nr Whitehall road, if you could give specific street names i will have a look for you Hi Weenie,thanks for replying,however I am not looking for a specific street,I would like to see on a map,outlined in red the marked boundaries of the districts so I can see where the actual boundary is. I may of course be asking too much and I think maybe that boundaries have changed over the years.
ex-Armley lad

weenie

Post by weenie »

here is a map taken from Wortley de Leeds book dated 1926
Attachments
__TFMF_1jsgwaveniu5sp455xu3nqij_2e74df13-dd13-4fc1-88f6-299189c2d4b1_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_1jsgwaveniu5sp455xu3nqij_2e74df13-dd13-4fc1-88f6-299189c2d4b1_0_main.jpg (491.34 KiB) Viewed 2636 times

weenie

Post by weenie »

the dip in the middle is at Amberly Rd, and goes up through the cemetary and the HMP. across the Canal, down by Geldard Rd, across Whitehall Road at the bottom, to Ring Rd that meets Pudsey Rd and up on to Tong Rd. hope this helps you sorry my attachment skills arnt very good

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

weenie wrote: the dip in the middle is at Amberly Rd, and goes up through the cemetary and the HMP. across the Canal, down by Geldard Rd, across Whitehall Road at the bottom, to Ring Rd that meets Pudsey Rd and up on to Tong Rd. hope this helps you sorry my attachment skills arnt very good Hi Weenie, Thanks for your map and explanation of the landmarks thereon.Unfortunately it seems slightly out of focus. Never mind, many thanks.
ex-Armley lad

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Brandy wrote: have you tried old maps http://www.old-maps.co.uk/indexmappage2.aspxor here http://www.ponies.me.uk/maps/osmap.html Hello Brandy .No I have not tried old maps,I'll give that a go.Ididn't think the boundaries would be on there.Thanks for the suggestion though.
ex-Armley lad

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

try here stutterdog you can design your own maps its a pretty cool site as it goes http://www.magic.gov.uk/I think you may find what your looking ofr on the administration map
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Brandy wrote: try here stutterdog you can design your own maps its a pretty cool site as it goes http://www.magic.gov.uk/I think you may find what your looking ofr on the administration map Thanks brandy.Have had a go at magic maps but cant get the hang of it. Could be my m/c.I'm only using an Acer net book with Linux as my son has taken possession of my laptop,typical, breaks his own and borrows mine! If mine breaks down I wonder which one will get fixed? I dont think it will be mine somehow!Thanks again.
ex-Armley lad