Where is Sugar Street, Otley?

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Si

Post by Si »

cnosni wrote: Si wrote: Hi Chevin,You're right. Sugar Street was the Rose and Crown end of Crossgate, hence Sugar Street Bistro, which as far as I know, is currently being refurbed into a bar. Mercury Row continued through to Nelson Street/Walkergate and on to the maypole. Crossgate was built in the 30s (along with the post office and bus station) to create access to Boroughgate/Pool Road from Bondgate. An iron foundry stood where the bus station is now - smack in the middle of town!Hope that clears it up!PS Most of the buildings on the east side of Sugar Street which existed in 1909 are still standing (including the famous Brian Pickles Lawnmowers!) On the west side stood a large house, Grove House, the site of which became a British Restaurant during the Second World War, and is now a Garden of Remembrance. There's also a large house still standing which was at the Sugar Street/Mercury Row/Nelson Street junction. It's now a cafe with a date on a blind window of 1800 (I think.)     Do you know something,i knew for certain that a certain Tetley drinking inhabitant of Otley would know.Does anyone know where Bacon End was in or around Guiseley? Junction of Fried Egg Street and Black Pudding Lane.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: cnosni wrote: Si wrote: Hi Chevin,You're right. Sugar Street was the Rose and Crown end of Crossgate, hence Sugar Street Bistro, which as far as I know, is currently being refurbed into a bar. Mercury Row continued through to Nelson Street/Walkergate and on to the maypole. Crossgate was built in the 30s (along with the post office and bus station) to create access to Boroughgate/Pool Road from Bondgate. An iron foundry stood where the bus station is now - smack in the middle of town!Hope that clears it up!PS Most of the buildings on the east side of Sugar Street which existed in 1909 are still standing (including the famous Brian Pickles Lawnmowers!) On the west side stood a large house, Grove House, the site of which became a British Restaurant during the Second World War, and is now a Garden of Remembrance. There's also a large house still standing which was at the Sugar Street/Mercury Row/Nelson Street junction. It's now a cafe with a date on a blind window of 1800 (I think.)     Do you know something,i knew for certain that a certain Tetley drinking inhabitant of Otley would know.Does anyone know where Bacon End was in or around Guiseley? Junction of Fried Egg Street and Black Pudding Lane. Not the sort of answer i would have expected from a map sage ,such as yourself.Having said that id have done it i suppose
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

Ooops! Sorry. The only Bacon End I can find on Google is in Essex.I don't have an old map of Guiseley. Perhaps Lilysmum can help?    

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Looked on a 1906 map of Guiseley and can find no mention of a Bacon End on that. I have quite a few local history books for the Yeadon/Guiseley area and have no recollection of seeing any reference to it and have never heard of it although I've always lived in this area. There is a Bacon St in Guiseley which has two ends!! And there was a Bacon factory on Park Rd. Guiseley several years ago,other than that??? will do a bit of digging and see if I can find anything out.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Si wrote: Ooops! Sorry. The only Bacon End I can find on Google is in Essex]     Would that be the one at Great Dunmow Si ?? - connected with the annual "Dunmow Flitch" procession.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Si

Post by Si »

BLAKEY wrote: Si wrote: Ooops! Sorry. The only Bacon End I can find on Google is in Essex]     Would that be the one at Great Dunmow Si ?? - connected with the annual "Dunmow Flitch" procession. I've had another look, and it's near Dunmow, north-west of Chelmsford. What's a "Flitch?"

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

A flitch is a side of bacon.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Si wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Si wrote: Ooops! Sorry. The only Bacon End I can find on Google is in Essex]     Would that be the one at Great Dunmow Si ?? - connected with the annual "Dunmow Flitch" procession. I've had another look, and it's near Dunmow, north-west of Chelmsford. What's a "Flitch?" They have a huge parade every year and a "flitch " or, as Lilysmum says, side of bacon is awarded to the couple who can honestly say that they haven't had an argument at all. In the narrow country roads of beautiful Essex on a summer Saturday afternoon this did absolutely nothing for we WA lads, as we tried to get the "Red Carpet" tour passengers to Southend Airport for their continental holidays.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.