Where is Sugar Street, Otley?

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
chevin

Post by chevin »

Hi,After living in many places I now live in Otley and have found that an ancestor used to live in Sugar Street in Otley! I presume it is somewhere near the bus station... please could some kind soul tell me where exactly? Or has it gone?Thanks!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Google earth doesn't show anything, unless someone knows better.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

simong

Post by simong »

It's mentioned in this thread: http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/messag ... eadID=1906 which seems to place it where you suggest.

chevin

Post by chevin »

Thanks, I saw that thread; that's what made me post on here (what a brilliant forum, I never knew it existed before!)I know it must be near the Rose & Crown because it's next to that in the 1901 census. I wonder if it's one of the little yards nearby where the blacksmith and various repair shops are. It would be fantastic if it was, because the ancestor in question was a blacksmith!It's occurred to me that what was the Curlew Cafe changed into Sugar Street Bistro a few years ago - is that the corner of Sugar Street and Crossgate? Or maybe it's been flattened by the Post Office.

simong

Post by simong »

That post suggests that it was a bit more substantial than a yard. I was thinking that it must have been around the post office.

chevin

Post by chevin »

I've been looking at old maps on GENUKI (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WR ... index.html) and it seems that Crossgate is a new road (built some time between 1909 and 1948 ). I suspect that Sugar Street is part of it, at the Rose and Crown end.It's intriguing!    

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Chevin,You're right. Sugar Street was the Rose and Crown end of Crossgate, hence Sugar Street Bistro, which as far as I know, is currently being refurbed into a bar. Mercury Row continued through to Nelson Street/Walkergate and on to the maypole. Crossgate was built in the 30s (along with the post office and bus station) to create access to Boroughgate/Pool Road from Bondgate. An iron foundry stood where the bus station is now - smack in the middle of town!Hope that clears it up!PS Most of the buildings on the east side of Sugar Street which existed in 1909 are still standing (including the famous Brian Pickles Lawnmowers!) On the west side stood a large house, Grove House, the site of which became a British Restaurant during the Second World War, and is now a Garden of Remembrance. There's also a large house still standing which was at the Sugar Street/Mercury Row/Nelson Street junction. It's now a cafe with a date on a blind window of 1800 (I think.)    

chevin

Post by chevin »

That's fantastic, thanks Si and everyone for your help!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: Hi Chevin,You're right. Sugar Street was the Rose and Crown end of Crossgate, hence Sugar Street Bistro, which as far as I know, is currently being refurbed into a bar. Mercury Row continued through to Nelson Street/Walkergate and on to the maypole. Crossgate was built in the 30s (along with the post office and bus station) to create access to Boroughgate/Pool Road from Bondgate. An iron foundry stood where the bus station is now - smack in the middle of town!Hope that clears it up!PS Most of the buildings on the east side of Sugar Street which existed in 1909 are still standing (including the famous Brian Pickles Lawnmowers!) On the west side stood a large house, Grove House, the site of which became a British Restaurant during the Second World War, and is now a Garden of Remembrance. There's also a large house still standing which was at the Sugar Street/Mercury Row/Nelson Street junction. It's now a cafe with a date on a blind window of 1800 (I think.)     Do you know something,i knew for certain that a certain Tetley drinking inhabitant of Otley would know.Does anyone know where Bacon End was in or around Guiseley?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

chevin wrote: That's fantastic, thanks Si and everyone for your help! Nil problemski.