tracing Army records

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Si

Post by Si »

Hats Off wrote: Si wrote: At the top is his number, 7054, name (just William Shires) and Corps - "Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry." Where it asks if he already belongs to the forces, it says "Yes, 3rd Bn Yk and Lanc Regiment." For "what corps are you willing to be enlisted?" it says "Yorkshire I. of the Line." I have, what I'm told, is his cap badge - looks just like the one above (The Dukes) but a bit more battered. My dad likes to think it stopped a bullet! It's only made of monkey-metal, so I doubt it - most likely got sat on!     That badge is indeed the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regt, but I'm confused because you make no mention of him being in that regiment ! From what I can make out he was in the K.O.Y.L.I and their badge is a small French horn with a Yorkshire rose in its middle, link here :http://military-genealogy.forcesreunite ... nfantryYou also mention the York & Lancaster Regt, their badge was a tiger with a Yorkshire rose above it, link here :http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0 ... htmRegards. Thanks Hats Off. He was in the York and Lancs previous to 1902 (possibly in South Africa) when he joined the KOYLIs. He did two years at the depot, and twelve years in the reserve. In 1914, he joined the Dukes for the duration of the War. In civvie street, he was a railway guard.PS I think it is a "Tudor" rose on the second badge, signifying both Yorkshire and Lancashire.    

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Si wrote: Hats Off wrote: Si wrote: At the top is his number, 7054, name (just William Shires) and Corps - "Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry." Where it asks if he already belongs to the forces, it says "Yes, 3rd Bn Yk and Lanc Regiment." For "what corps are you willing to be enlisted?" it says "Yorkshire I. of the Line." I have, what I'm told, is his cap badge - looks just like the one above (The Dukes) but a bit more battered. My dad likes to think it stopped a bullet! It's only made of monkey-metal, so I doubt it - most likely got sat on!     That badge is indeed the Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regt, but I'm confused because you make no mention of him being in that regiment ! From what I can make out he was in the K.O.Y.L.I and their badge is a small French horn with a Yorkshire rose in its middle, link here :http://military-genealogy.forcesreunite ... nfantryYou also mention the York & Lancaster Regt, their badge was a tiger with a Yorkshire rose above it, link here :http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0 ... htmRegards. Thanks Hats Off. He was in the York and Lancs previous to 1902 (possibly in South Africa) when he joined the KOYLIs. He did two years at the depot, and twelve years in the reserve. In 1914, he joined the Dukes for the duration of the War. In civvie street, he was a railway guard.PS I think it is a "Tudor" rose on the second badge, signifying both Yorkshire and Lancashire.     You are of course correct, it is a Tudor rose.regards.

kango

Post by kango »

"You also mention the York & Lancaster Regt, their badge was a tiger with a Yorkshire rose above it" My late father was in the 2nd bat' York and Lancs (or cat and cabbage as some called it) and I remember Him telling Me the Tiger on the cap badge , (I still have His), meant the Regiment had served in India. The rose was indeed a Tudor one.    

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: No, Chris. I can't afford to at the moment. Enjoy your trip, though enjoy is probably the wrong word in context with war.Incidentally, amongst my great Auntie May's belongings, I've recently discovered an old photo of a group of Great War soldiers in camp. At first, I assumed one of them must be my great grandad, but on closer examination, the cap badge shows them to be the West Yorkshire Regiment, not The Dukes. May never married, her "beau" was killed in action, so I'm guessing that one of the group is him. We'll never know.     Thats a shame Si,i hope things work out soon.You never know,he could have been with my great uncle at Serre.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

weenie

Post by weenie »

Hi guys i'm trying to find my grandad's service records but with a popular name Robert Owen Jones im having no look, i do not know his regiment number etc all i know is that he served in both WWI and WWII, we do not know much about WWI but know that in WWII his service was spent briefly overseas in France and then later being stationed near to Bishop Aukland in the North East before moving to the Orkney Islands on a Artillery base.Could he be in the Artillery regiment for both or could he have been in a different regiment for each one? my grandad was born sept 1897 Blaenau Ffestiniog, moving to Wrexham Regis, Denbhigshre, wales, then moved to Leeds a little time after, he married Nellie Robinson in Leeds in July 1920 My grandfathers parents are Robert owen Jones and Sarah Annie Elizabeth Smith (quite amusing the surnames lol) just wondered if there is a way i could find them?thankyou in advance

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

weenie wrote: Hi guys i'm trying to find my grandad's service records but with a popular name Robert Owen Jones im having no look, i do not know his regiment number etc all i know is that he served in both WWI and WWII, we do not know much about WWI but know that in WWII his service was spent briefly overseas in France and then later being stationed near to Bishop Aukland in the North East before moving to the Orkney Islands on a Artillery base.Could he be in the Artillery regiment for both or could he have been in a different regiment for each one? my grandad was born sept 1897 Blaenau Ffestiniog, moving to Wrexham Regis, Denbhigshre, wales, then moved to Leeds a little time after, he married Nellie Robinson in Leeds in July 1920 My grandfathers parents are Robert owen Jones and Sarah Annie Elizabeth Smith (quite amusing the surnames lol) just wondered if there is a way i could find them?thankyou in advance Very difficult I would have thought! Jones and Smith being the most common surnames in Britain!
ex-Armley lad

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx ... id=474610I have found thisRobert Owen Jones64 Mansion StreetClydach ValeNumber 4528Corps R79 ?Next of kin was his father Owen Jones

weenie

Post by weenie »

thankyou uncle mick, i also found that one too, but with them living in Leeds, i thought that with that address been in wales wouldnt be the one?.

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Chris (Cnosni), if you're around. I've recently come across these WWI medals, and assumed they were William Shires', as previously discussed in this thread. However, on closer inspection, the name struck into the outside edge is F.F.GLENDINNING (incorrect spelling), his service number, and W.York.R. This means they are my other great grandad's, but there are two "To Commemorate Peace 1919" medals. Why would this be the case, or do they belong to two individuals? The ribbons came in a separate envelope, and look like they've never been threaded onto the medals themselves. The 14-18 medal is still in it's original box, which says Vaughton Ltd Goldsmiths, Medallists. Livery Street, Birmingham.Just thought it might be of interest.Cheers,Si.    
Attachments
__TFMF_25qih1io1erje145zwooudal_dfa68607-b91d-409d-857b-29d2c6fee28b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_25qih1io1erje145zwooudal_dfa68607-b91d-409d-857b-29d2c6fee28b_0_main.jpg (303.46 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

liits

Post by liits »

Si wrote: Hi Chris (Cnosni), if you're around. I've recently come across these WWI medals, and assumed they were William Shires', as previously discussed in this thread. However, on closer inspection, the name struck into the outside edge is F.F.GLENDINNING (incorrect spelling), his service number, and W.York.R. This means they are my other great grandad's, but there are two "To Commemorate Peace 1919" medals. Why would this be the case, or do they belong to two individuals? The ribbons came in a separate envelope, and look like they've never been threaded onto the medals themselves. The 14-18 medal is still in it's original box, which says Vaughton Ltd Goldsmiths, Medallists. Livery Street, Birmingham.Just thought it might be of interest.Cheers,Si.     It is possible to have medals re-issued with the name correctly engraved if there is a spelling mistake, altough the original incorrect ones have to be returned. Replacements [becasue of loss, theft etc] don't have the name on them.I'm guessing that "F.F." is Frederick Firth Glendening. What did he do between leaving the Hopewell Inn [1904] and joining up. Do you know?