street location .Otley.1908.Anyone help?

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

My Dad was born 1908 at Jennings Yard. Otley. Wharfedale. Can anyone help me with this location please?
ex-Armley lad

Si

Post by Si »

stutterdog wrote: My Dad was born 1908 at Jennings Yard. Otley. Wharfedale. Can anyone help me with this location please? Hi Stutterdog. I live in Otley, but I'm afraid I don't know Jenning's Yard, though the name rings a bell. I'm guessing it's one of the many "yards" which run behind the town's main streets of Bondgate, Kirkgate and Boroughgate. These yards were originally made up of basic dwellings and small businesses, such as butchers, brewers, rope makers, farriers, etc.    

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Si wrote: stutterdog wrote: My Dad was born 1908 at Jennings Yard. Otley. Wharfedale. Can anyone help me with this location please? Hi Stutterdog. I live in Otley, but I'm afraid I don't know Jenning's Yard, though the name rings a bell. I'm guessing it's one of the many "yards" which run behind the town's main streets of Bondgate, Kirkgate and Boroughgate. These yards were originally made up of basic dwellings and small businesses, such as butchers, brewers, rope makers, farriers, etc.     Thanks Nick.I've looked at the old maps link but it's not marked or named on that site. I've been in Otley today and walked all round the market place and the streets you mention but I could not find it.I understand that Jennings in Otley was quite a prominent name .My Grandad was a blacksmiths assistant so maybe the family lived at the workshop or property attached?
ex-Armley lad

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Another resident, unfortunately on the war memorial:Bartle:http://www.flickr.com/photos/seant_25/2430449277/

Si

Post by Si »

stutterdog wrote: Si wrote: stutterdog wrote: My Dad was born 1908 at Jennings Yard. Otley. Wharfedale. Can anyone help me with this location please? Hi Stutterdog. I live in Otley, but I'm afraid I don't know Jenning's Yard, though the name rings a bell. I'm guessing it's one of the many "yards" which run behind the town's main streets of Bondgate, Kirkgate and Boroughgate. These yards were originally made up of basic dwellings and small businesses, such as butchers, brewers, rope makers, farriers, etc.     Thanks Nick.I've looked at the old maps link but it's not marked or named on that site. I've been in Otley today and walked all round the market place and the streets you mention but I could not find it.I understand that Jennings in Otley was quite a prominent name .My Grandad was a blacksmiths assistant so maybe the family lived at the workshop or property attached? Errr...who's Nick?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

You know Nick Si, Nick Wassisname.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

quote nick ="Si"nick being an abbreviation for nickname when using the quote facility
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Cardiarms wrote: Another resident, unfortunately on the war memorial:Bartle:http://www.flickr.com/photos/seant_25/2430449277/ Thanks Cardiarms for the link. How did those Dibb parents cope with the loss of 3 sons? And why were they all permitted to join up?The last one alive should have been sent back home. I am appalled!
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Chrism wrote: You know Nick Si, Nick Wassisname. Sorry Si.I must have been looking in the wrong place for the poster.
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Nother one for you! where was the workhouse in Otley located? My Grandad finished up in there in the 1911 census?
ex-Armley lad