Long shot re: Childrens days

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Sorry, I'll be there a week on Monday and will try to find out what's going on. I posted the address in good faith and don't like to waste people's time. The good news is they won't sell out of books any time soon!

Bucaneer Rigger

Re:

Post by Bucaneer Rigger »

Patexpat wrote:I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to Newsman for delving in to his archives and pulling out this photo of me as page boy back in 1963 ...     
Dear Patexpat It's been quite a while since your original post, but I've just come across it and this pic; so a huge thank-you Newsman.
I'm the Crown Bearer, well remembered!! I also remember the Queen, a super girl, she was from Intake School I think.
We were all (the three boys) picked from Stanningley Juniors, her previous school.
I'll have to dig deep to see if I've got any other pics.
All the best for now

tilly

Re: Long shot re: Childrens days

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L Bucaneer Rigger.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

blackprince

Re:

Post by blackprince »

stutterdog wrote:Patexpat wrote: Yes Samson, that was without doubt the same childrens day I was page boy - it rained so much that all the official stuff was hurriedly transferred to the Mansion House and the day came to a very damp halt very quickly .... and I seem to remember my mams new outfit being ruined! Are you sure it wasn't Printers Sports Day at Roundhay? The same thing happened on that day too! A huge cloudburst caught everyone out and the crowds all ran for the buse and any cover they could find!
I have just read this old post and I remember the huge downpour which wiped out an event at Roundhay Park I attended in summer 1963. It sent everyone running for the buses at the same time and caused huge queues. I'm not sure whether it was children's day or the printer's sports day but it was in the school summer holidays. It's one of the few cloudbursts which stand out in my memory. Fortunately for me I had my trusty pacamac with me and I shared it with 2 girls. ( Who said chivalry was dead!). Probably the only time it got used in anger. Pakamacs not very "cool", I know, but it was a few years before Kagouls and anoraks became fashionable outdoor rainwear.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!