Things you dont see anymore

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Can anyone remember the showers of ash that used to fall on us when there was no wind to blow all the rubbish from Skelton Grange power station away from Leeds,I can remember the panic to get the washing in off the line,If you also happened to live in Hunslet(In the good Bad old days) a company called Laporte Acids,located at the Balm road,pepper road junction, Used to pump out off loads of foul smoke(you could not walk past that place on foot without choking to death),I think the fact that all the houses in the local area had yellow roofs was a bit of a give away as to how bad they were,as one smoke stack pumped a yellow cloud,(sulphur),No health and safety boys looking after us kids then,Fog in winter so bad you could only see a couple of yards in front of you,and if it stayed for a few days it got thicker and you choked to death,Always a bit of fun for us kids was watching TA guys jumping from a basket hanging from barrage ballon on Miggy clearing,(Nice to know the tusky fields of leeds would be defended)This one is rather something you dont hear anymore,The constant clang,clang,of BR shunting yards,24hrs of clang,clang(for me it was stourton) now long gone.I know we all had a gill of milk given to us at school in my days,but can anyone tell me if all children born around the early 40s had the same treatment as me and my sister did, were you given a regular dose of cod liver oil,and malt,orange concentrate,And did go to hospital and sit under an ultra violet lamp (nude wearing goggles) free sun tan    

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Phil W wrote: Can anyone remember the showers of ash that used to fall on us when there was no wind to blow all the rubbish from Skelton Grange power station away from Leeds,I can remember the panic to get the washing in off the line,If you also happened to live in Hunslet(In the good Bad old days) a company called Laporte Acids,located at the Balm road,pepper road junction, Used to pump out off loads of foul smoke(you could not walk past that place on foot without choking to death),I think the fact that all the houses in the local area had yellow roofs was a bit of a give away as to how bad they were,as one smoke stack pumped a yellow cloud,(sulphur),No health and safety boys looking after us kids then,Fog in winter so bad you could only see a couple of yards in front of you,and if it stayed for a few days it got thicker and you choked to death,Always a bit of fun for us kids was watching TA guys jumping from a basket hanging from barrage ballon on Miggy clearing,(Nice to know the tusky fields of leeds would be defended)This one is rather something you dont hear anymore,The constant clang,clang,of BR shunting yards,24hrs of clang,clang(for me it was stourton) now long gone.I know we all had a gill of milk given to us at school in my days,but can anyone tell me if all children born around the early 40s had the same treatment as me and my sister did, were you given a regular dose of cod liver oil,and malt,orange concentrate,And did go to hospital and sit under an ultra violet lamp (nude wearing goggles) free sun tan     Born 1947, got Cod Liver Oil + Concentrated orange juice at the baby clinic.Fresh (?) Milk left out in the sun and served warm at school.I seem to remember getting Malt at school, but not for long, maybe only in the infants.Those not thriving according to the approved charts got Malt at school for a few more years, about 20 in a line side by side and they only had one spoon.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

That baby-clinic orange juice was wonderful, can taste it now just thinking about it. Warm milk, yuck. The y stopped giving me that the day my tummy decided it didn't want any more and promptly returned it to the poor teacher!

Jak

Post by Jak »

I loved the malt it was kept in acuboard at back of the classroom sorry to say i once nicked a jar.lllllovly.
Jack Lambert ex giptoner

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I used to be milk monitor at Spring Bank in the early 70s, but by then it was milk only in the old 1/4 pint bottles (?).My family came from Consett where everything was painted red to hide the red dust from the steel works, even the roofs.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Jak wrote: I loved the malt it was kept in acuboard at back of the classroom sorry to say i once nicked a jar.lllllovly. I can perectly understand why you "acquired" the jar of malt. We didn't have it at school, but at home I used to have some fabulous stuff called "VIMALTOL" - honestly it was so gorgeous, in taste and in texture, that I could have scoffed a full jar any day     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Nowadays we are so used to super safe electric ring circuits, appropriately fused plugs, trip fuse boxes and so forth that its easy to forget the lethal items in everyday use even until the 1960s or so. I can remember my mother plugging her primitive electric iron, complete with "push on" rubber and fabric two core wire, into the electric light socket. Providing there was a shilling in the meter this life threatening and terrifying arrangement ensured that we looked tidy at least. So much for electricity - now what about the nice cheery little free standing gas fires - loosely attached to an unprotected tap at the side of the fireplace or wherever by a rubber pipe in various stages of "perishment." Better have a quick roll call and see how many of us are still here !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Bramley4woods wrote: Born 1947, got Cod Liver Oil + Concentrated orange juice at the baby clinic.Fresh (?) Milk left out in the sun and served warm at school.I seem to remember getting Malt at school, but not for long, maybe only in the infants.Those not thriving according to the approved charts got Malt at school for a few more years, about 20 in a line side by side and they only had one spoon. I was born in 1946. At that time Morley was not in Leeds but under the West Riding County Council Education Dept. I went to Queen Street Infants in Morley. (Wesleyans) In the first class, we had the orange juice, we also had 1/3 pint milk hadthe cod liver oil capusules but in the afternoons we also had a sleep. I can't remember before afternoon play or after but there were camp style bed set out in the classroom with red blankets and we were expected to sleep for a prescibed time. I don't ever remember falling asleep - just being bored silly and told to stop shuffling and talking
Industria Omnia Vincit

Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Did anyone ever take part in childrens day at Rounhay park,Maypole dancing with the infants school or the mass PT display from the junior school,They always gave you a free lunch,I think it was a potted meat sarny and a bun,

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Phil W wrote: Did anyone ever take part in childrens day at Rounhay park,Maypole dancing with the infants school or the mass PT display from the junior school,They always gave you a free lunch,I think it was a potted meat sarny and a bun, I won a silver spoon in the Bonny Baby competition of 1958, they'd want it back if they saw me now!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.