Never beena KFC!!

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
simonm

Post by simonm »

I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

simonm wrote: Nowt to do with peeps on here.http://www.citymayors.com/gratis/uk_topcities.html An interesting list, Simon. I wonder what the people of Manchester think about not only Leeds being bigger, but also Bradford!And the Geordies being from a smaller town than Sunderland!!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

simonm wrote: Nowt to do with peeps on here.http://www.citymayors.com/gratis/uk_topcities.html This mirrors my original point. The City of Leeds was expanded in 1974 to include the towns of Pudsey, Horsforth (I think), Otley, Wetherby, Garforth, Rothwell and Morley and various villages in that expanded circumference including East and West Ardsley, Farnley, Poole, Bramhope, Bramham, Kippax, Swillington, Woodlesford. It became at the time Leeds MDC within the Metropolitan County of West Yorkshire.At some stage, probably with the demise of WYCC, MDC became City again. At the same time the Metropolitan County of Greater Manchester was created but the MDC of Manchester was not an expansion of the previous City and therfore was still the same size when it reverted to being a city.That list really compares a region called Leeds (note Kirklees without a city at all is in the list) with a city called Manchester. It also gives a region called London prominence because of the office Boris Johnson holds. The actual City of London is not much more than the "square mile" famed for its Financial Insitutions.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

simonm

Post by simonm »

So your comparing Leeds as is now to Manchester? Is that greater manchester or the city itself? Neither is made clear on that list. Blurred lines me thinks
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

simonm wrote: So your comparing Leeds as is now to Manchester? Is that greater manchester or the city itself? Neither is made clear on that list. Blurred lines me thinks Manchester on that list is the City of Manchester as it was pre 1974 and ever since. Note that the Borough of Trafford and the City of Salford are not that far behind Manchester on the list as are Rochdale, Oldham and Blackburn all part of the County of Greater Manchester.Leeds on that list is the City of Leeds as it was pre 1974 plus all the additional towns, villages and countryside that was added in 1974. If the pre 1974 City of Leeds boundaries were used only about 2 thirds of that 726,000 would be in Leeds (about 500,000) the other third (approaching 250,000) are from the surrounding towns and villages.    
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

simonm

Post by simonm »

So what about the small villages that Manchester "looks after". Salford, Rochdale etc, part of the GM boundray are all much bigger than Pudsey, rothwell, otley etc. Surely there are villages of that ilk that manchester is part of??

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The equivalent of the County of Greater Manchester is the County of West Yorkshire which consists of 5 City/District Councils namely Wakefield, Leeds, Bradford, Calderdale and Kirklees. The make up of Greater Manchester was slightly more complicated in that it included 10 Metropolitan Boroughs and 2 Cities or 12 councils to West Yorkshire's 5. West Yorkshire axed many of its Town councils which could have been similar in size to the smaller boroughs in Greater ManchesterThe Wikipedia page on Greater Manchester might help.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_ManchesterWhile there are some rural areas in Greater Manchester I don't think much of it ,if any, will be in the Cities of Manchester and Salford but mainly in the boroughs towards the edges of the county and in between the boroughs. Note that if I recall correctly the boundary of the City of Manchester (1 on the Map) on the outside of the county will be roughly where the airport is and with the large Cheshire town of Sale immediately to the south. The borough of Stockport (2 on the map) was mainly grabbed from Cheshire in 1974. Most of the rest of greater Manchester was of course South/East Lancashire.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

tyke bhoy wrote: The equivalent of the County of Greater Manchester is the County of West Yorkshire which consists of 5 City/District Councils namely Wakefield, Leeds, Bradford, Calderdale and Kirklees. The make up of Greater Manchester was slightly more complicated in that it included 10 Metropolitan Boroughs and 2 Cities or 12 councils to West Yorkshire's 5. West Yorkshire axed many of its Town councils which could have been similar in size to the smaller boroughs in Greater ManchesterThe Wikipedia page on Greater Manchester might help.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_ManchesterWhile there are some rural areas in Greater Manchester I don't think much of it ,if any, will be in the Cities of Manchester and Salford but mainly in the boroughs towards the edges of the county and in between the boroughs. Note that if I recall correctly the boundary of the City of Manchester (1 on the Map) on the outside of the county will be roughly where the airport is and with the large Cheshire town of Sale immediately to the south. The borough of Stockport (2 on the map) was mainly grabbed from Cheshire in 1974. Most of the rest of greater Manchester was of course South/East Lancashire. Most of the really rural areas of Greater Manchester are in Oldham, Rochdale, and Tameside - particularly Tameside which is Ashton U Lyne, Hyde, Dukinfield, Mossely etc, and Oldham which has Saddleworth, an area that still has a white rose on its badge and recently enquired about relocating back into Yorkshire.As for Kirklees - since Preston became a city Huddersfield is the biggest "town" in England.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

eerrrrrrrrrrm i wonder why there's no KFC in Leeds town centre?
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

simong

Post by simong »

Brandy wrote: eerrrrrrrrrrm i wonder why there's no KFC in Leeds town centre? No idea mate, you should probably ask on a message board.