Things you miss about the old Leeds. . .

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Littel shops on the balconies of the arcades. Going shoping to Leeds market every Saturday morning like everyone else did. The little indoor market at the back of the old bus station. The old fruit and veg run in the outdoor market which went from the car park to the market toilets. The "lock up" shops in the middle of the outdoor market and those down George Street. The old bus station, Hagenbachs and the old style newsagents. The Wellington Street coach depot with it's 1950's signage. Boar Lane being run down and having loads of interesting shops like Carstuff and Combat Sports.More recently Ranchburger and Wendy Burger, miles better than anything we have now.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_d wrote: These! I know its a year late,but yes mate,i miss these beauties!Im not a bus or train spotter,but these buses bring back yer childhood like nowt else.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Reginal Perrin wrote: Littel shops on the balconies of the arcades. Going shoping to Leeds market every Saturday morning like everyone else did. The little indoor market at the back of the old bus station. The old fruit and veg run in the outdoor market which went from the car park to the market toilets. The "lock up" shops in the middle of the outdoor market and those down George Street. The old bus station, Hagenbachs and the old style newsagents. The Wellington Street coach depot with it's 1950's signage. Boar Lane being run down and having loads of interesting shops like Carstuff and Combat Sports.More recently Ranchburger and Wendy Burger, miles better than anything we have now. Reggie,i getting the sense you like burgers,especially since you set off the KFC thread.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

The market on a saturday,loved it,got a new matchbox car every saturday morning,kin magic,what a place.One of my earliest memories (in colour of course,unlike Arrys which must be in black and white) was coming back home on the bus up Scott Hall Road from town having been to the market.I found out that we had moved from Scott Hall (which is where mi grandad lived) BEFORE i was 3!!,so it just shows you when you start to make credible memories.My next strong memory is when i was on a bus,late at night (it was dark,so must have been after 6pm!!) on Compton Road,going to check on our new house that we had got in Broughton Avenue.I must have been tired as my memory was looking out of the bus window up to the street lights,head cocked to oneside with my head leaning against the window of the bus,then getting off at the stop which is now outside the nursery.Cant remember owt after that,just that i had become a Leeds 9 lad from then on.Live south of the river now,but Leeds 9 through and through.(Shame its a dump now though)

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Kerchingers

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Cardiarms wrote: Kerchingers I once forged one and I actually think it worked. I added the card back on to the side and the memory is sketchy but I'm sure it worked. And who doesn't like burgers? Good uns anyway. I always reckoned that a top quality burger bar would be great but that Gourmet Burger Kitchen is too restauranty, we need a chrome American diner style place that does proper meaty burgers and bowls of chilli. Quick service like a fast food joint but better quality.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Reginal Perrin wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Kerchingers I once forged one and I actually think it worked. I added the card back on to the side and the memory is sketchy but I'm sure it worked. And who doesn't like burgers? Good uns anyway. I always reckoned that a top quality burger bar would be great but that Gourmet Burger Kitchen is too restauranty, we need a chrome American diner style place that does proper meaty burgers and bowls of chilli. Quick service like a fast food joint but better quality. So have you been in the GBK then Reggie?Was thinking of trying it myself.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Reginal Perrin wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Kerchingers I once forged one and I actually think it worked. I added the card back on to the side and the memory is sketchy but I'm sure it worked.     You weren't on your own there Reggie - believe me when "Kerchingers" were first introduced (1968/9 if my memory serves) the number of forgeries was enormous and, before the advent of "Code strips" on the back of the tickets, they worked perfectly. Perhaps the finest examples were those produced - in quantity - by the enterprising pupils of a certain well known and respected North Leeds secondary school - those forgeries warranted an award for technical excellence, in fact they worked better than the original often troublesome bona fide onesLOL    LOL    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

BLAKEY wrote: Reginal Perrin wrote: Cardiarms wrote: Kerchingers I once forged one and I actually think it worked. I added the card back on to the side and the memory is sketchy but I'm sure it worked.     You weren't on your own there Reggie - believe me when "Kerchingers" were first introduced (1968/9 if my memory serves) the number of forgeries was enormous and, before the advent of "Code strips" on the back of the tickets, they worked perfectly. Perhaps the finest examples were those produced - in quantity - by the enterprising pupils of a certain well known and respected North Leeds secondary school - those forgeries warranted an award for technical excellence, in fact they worked better than the original often troublesome bona fide onesLOL    LOL     Yeah, enterprising little crims. I have to say I worked alone and made no personal gain out of my rime other than the odd free bus ride. It raised images of miniature Donald Pleasances with eye glasses and angle lamps.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

BLAKEY wrote: You weren't on your own there Reggie - believe me when "Kerchingers" were first introduced (1968/9 if my memory serves) the number of forgeries was enormous and, before the advent of "Code strips" on the back of the tickets, they worked perfectly.     Was it reallly as early as that or were they phased out for a while and brought back when security was a bit tighter? I wouldn't have thought there was much need for them while two man services were still the norm as the general idea was to spee up boarding. I don't remember them in use until at least my very late school days (early eighties) and definitely do remember them in use in my early working days probably through to the late eighties.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/