Things you miss about the old Leeds. . .

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I miss the 1970's feel to stuff. The cafe's with the floating plastic oranges, Wimpey bars, Christmas at Lewis's, Old buses & conductors, Quarry hill. and were did all the old women go from the Market, with big coats, head scaves laden down with heavy bags and had bow legs?        
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I miss the Central Station with its short platforms. You could stand on the bridge over the river opposite the railway and see an A3 or A4 at the head of the morning departure of the White Rose or West Riding. The short trains raced up the hill and added three more coaches from Bradford at Wakey,    
Industria Omnia Vincit

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Phill_d wrote: I miss the 1970's feel to stuff. The cafe's with the floating plastic oranges, Wimpey bars, Christmas at Lewis's, Old buses & conductors, Quarry hill. and were did all the old women go from the Market, with big coats, head scaves laden down with heavy bags and had bow legs?         you got some of mine phil,especially quarry hill flats.....no no all of yours are mine,plus rounday park waterfall,joseph street bathes and saturday morning matinee's....should this thread be amalgamated with 'THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE'...I think so....MUNKIIIIIII....put in a takeover bid please!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Si

Post by Si »

Trojan wrote: Si wrote: Tetley Mild. The Commercial in Churwell sold it last time I was in there, so did the Gardeners on Wide Lane Morley. I know, Trojan, but it's pretty rare. I had some in the Bay Horse, Otley on Christmas Day night, but I'm sure it doesn't taste the same. Could be older taste-buds or dodgy memory! In the White Cross, Pudsey, in the 70s, it was superb, and 2p cheaper in the tap-room!

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

The old green Leeds City Highways Department lorries that would always be seen with a full load of asphelt on their way to some road or pavement resurfacing job. Bus inspectors who would get on the bus and check that everyone had a valid ticket, whatever happened to those guys ?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Si wrote: Trojan wrote: Si wrote: Tetley Mild. The Commercial in Churwell sold it last time I was in there, so did the Gardeners on Wide Lane Morley. I know, Trojan, but it's pretty rare. I had some in the Bay Horse, Otley on Christmas Day night, but I'm sure it doesn't taste the same. Could be older taste-buds or dodgy memory! In the White Cross, Pudsey, in the 70s, it was superb, and 2p cheaper in the tap-room! At one point Tetleys were awarding a "Masters of Mild" certificate to pubs that sold the handpulled variety - not sure if this is still the case.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Si

Post by Si »

Dunno, Troj. In the pubs I frequented in the 70s, I'd guess the drinkers could be roughly split 50% bitter, 30% mild and 20% lager. It's odd how such a seemingly popular drink virtually disappeared so quickly. I guess it's because mild was a stepping-stone to the "aquired" taste of bitter for younger drinkers, a role taken over by lager. Of course, less people now make the step to bitter! (Or even to lager, viz. alcopops.)

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Si wrote: Tetley Mild. I used to love mild!!! And I'm a laydeee!!! lol

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Phill_d wrote: I miss the 1970's feel to stuff. The cafe's with the floating plastic oranges, Wimpey bars, Christmas at Lewis's, Old buses & conductors, Quarry hill. and were did all the old women go from the Market, with big coats, head scaves laden down with heavy bags and had bow legs?         Yeah I'm with you on that one Phill! Mind you, have you tried a Wimpy lately? We were unfortunate enough to have to stop at a services on a day trip recently. My hubby kept banging on about Wimpeys, so we had one. UGH! Wholemeal bread bun (!!!) without being asked and as dry as buggery! It was that dry, it was hard to swallow!!! And don't get me started about the price of 2 burgers!!!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Rose tinted glasses I admit, but I miss practically everything about the traditional and long established shops, cinemas and theatres - and the thriving heavy industry everywhere. Of course we tend to forget the poverty, disease, thick fogs and so forth but, wonderful though Leeds is said to be today, their is a "plastic" air about the place and all modern cities and definitely no real atmosphere. New inventions and developments these days are no longer awesome or exciting - in a sense we've "seen it all" now and there's nothing spectacular to come.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.