lost chippies of leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
liits

Post by liits »

Croggy wrote: Well, liits, Coes is still going strong you may (not) be pleased to hear ... that was always my dad's preferred chippy Marsdens Corner is long gone, of course - maybe we need a lost newsagents/sweet shop thread! I never had any objection to where the fish and chips came from [other than Marshall St, they had crinkle cut chips and really small fish] but my preference, in later years, were those from "Greasy Joe's" on Austhorpe Rd. Massive, massive fish and lovley soggy batter. Needless to say, Mam would never have them in the house!News agents: Jack Russels on Station Rd an Hydes at the end of Crossgates Lane / Ring Rd. Both of which I had paper rounds at.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Croggy wrote: Well, liits, Coes is still going strong you may (not) be pleased to hear ... that was always my dad's preferred chippy Marsdens Corner is long gone, of course - maybe we need a lost newsagents/sweet shop thread! Are there such things as "sweet shops" any more? I mean shops that sell sweets, chocolates, ice cream and lollies, and cigarettes and that's all? I can't think of one round here. (Morley)
Industria Omnia Vincit

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

roundhegian wrote: wiggy wrote: what was that chippy called at the back of old grandways,when they were on the old parade?the fish there were the biggest i have seen to this day.then there was the skyliner at seacroft.when i left school,i would go out drinking in the pathfinder,get some chips and bus fare home for a fiver,now i know i sound like mine and every body elses grandad,but beer was forty odd pence a pint,and i was only a light weight then,but its true.if the government dropped the price of beer in pubs,then put up the price in offies,then it would take a lot of drunken kids off the streets and put more bums on seats in the rapidly declining pub industry,but the nanny state knows best!i will NEVER vote labour again and i am seriously off topic now so i will shut up.....rant over. Bitter was 1/11 a pint . Four pints for ten bob !     On a pint of order with bitter at 1/11 a pint, it was 5 pints for ten bob and a bit of change

simonm

Post by simonm »

aye up Arry. your right about the chinger on Armley Rd. Cracking meals from there. However, we have also use the new one on Town street, seems to be not bad at all.Back to chippies. I alwasy remember with fondness using one directly opposite the Barley mow whenever I came out of scouts. It used to be where the William hill betting shop is now, at the end of a small road leading to 2nd Bramley scout hut. Not sure if they were any real good, cos as a kid you don't really look to deep into quality, just scran it down wi plenty of salt and vinegar! Mmmmm.    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Shurrup Si,yer mekkin me slavver!Glad you like that chino! It's our regular Sat'dytea apart from the odd week when the wifeallows me to have an Indian, (NOT Shilpa Shetty!),from Mother India up Stannila' Road!One chippy not mentioned yet(?) is The Daisy Fisheries.Next to the pub. Dunno if it's still going,but they were gorgeousespecially after a few jars next door!Don't remember a chippy opposite the 'Mow' Our doctor'sis just behind the Scout Hut, on Highfield Rd.Thanks for the advice re me fone no! waiting actionfrom above!CheersArry

stevief

Post by stevief »

In the '70s,when Wolseley Road ran all the way through to Burley Road,about half way up on the right was a superb chippy.Known simply as 'Wilfs' and with nothing more than a solitary light bulb hanging above the door to advertise that they were 'Frying Tonight'

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

stevief wrote: In the '70s,when Wolseley Road ran all the way through to Burley Road,about half way up on the right was a superb chippy.Known simply as 'Wilfs' and with nothing more than a solitary light bulb hanging above the door to advertise that they were 'Frying Tonight' There was a good one on Greenhow road too - about half way up where the 'sheltered' housing' or whatever it is is now.On the subject of chippies - am I the only one who's puzzled when people rave about ' Bryan's' at Headingley????I've heard people say there the best you can get and how people travel for miles to get them!I think they're rubbish/inedible - they leave the skin on the fish for pities sake! ughhh
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

drapesy wrote: On the subject of chippies - am I the only one who's puzzled when people rave about ' Bryan's' at Headingley????I've heard people say there the best you can get and how people travel for miles to get them!I think they're rubbish/inedible - they leave the skin on the fish for pities sake! ughhh i used to work there as a teen. the pay is rubbish too loli agree with the skin thing. revolting. although the queue is normally quite long, so you can nip to the little gate bit and ask them to de-skin one for youexpensive too

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

liits, you mentioned Woods chippie and Coes, (flat thin fish, greasy dark batter!), do you remember Drakes opposite the Station in Crossgates?btw Si, I always thought breadcakes were a basic bread-dough, whilst tea-cakes would contain sugar, more fat and milk rather than water (sorry!).

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

chameleon wrote: do you remember Drakes opposite the Station in Crossgates? i wonder if they're the same drakes as the one opposite the scott hall swimming baths? the best fish and chips in leeds...according to the sign outside loli think they have one in harrogate too (unsurprisingly with a notice saying 'the best f&c in harrogate...')