lost chippies of leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

wiggy wrote: down here they are known as rolls,in nottingham they are baps.currants in??....sweet rolls,how sad is that.they have only just started selling warburtons inthe supermarkets down 'ere.i used to have to rely on visiting family to bring me some.all the breadcakes here are full of air....no proper ones.i keep trying to educate them in modern ways,but i's like the 1950s down here and thats no joke! In and around Morley, teacakes - are called plain teacakes, teacakes with currants in are called - currant teacakes. Breadcake is larger than a teacake. In Nottinghamshire when I worked there currant teacakes were - Yorkshire Teacakes. In the area of Lancashire where I work now it's "barm cake" for what we call a breadcake which seems to be coming fairly common throughout the Northwest - it used to be muffin in North Manchester. In East Lancashire (Burnley, Blackurn etc) it's "teacake" Not barmcake or breadcake.As for the word "bits" instead of "scrap" you'll find them called this in Kirkless generally - there are two chippies called "Wi'bits"    In Wigan they're called "scratchings" - like pork scratchings I suppose.    
Industria Omnia Vincit

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

what was that chippy called at the back of old grandways,when they were on the old parade?the fish there were the biggest i have seen to this day.then there was the skyliner at seacroft.when i left school,i would go out drinking in the pathfinder,get some chips and bus fare home for a fiver,now i know i sound like mine and every body elses grandad,but beer was forty odd pence a pint,and i was only a light weight then,but its true.if the government dropped the price of beer in pubs,then put up the price in offies,then it would take a lot of drunken kids off the streets and put more bums on seats in the rapidly declining pub industry,but the nanny state knows best!i will NEVER vote labour again and i am seriously off topic now so i will shut up.....rant over.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

stevief wrote: "The Jubilee"Burley Road.It was situated in the centre of a parade of shops close to the junction with St Annes Lane.I think it's a Chinese now.Some years ago they had a fire,the proprietor had just finished damping down when someone opened the door and asked if he had any fish that were"well done".The reply was unprintable! " The Ship " I think it was named on Harehills Lane near the site of the old Brownhill School . It had a wooden model of a galleon in the window . Last time I was around it was still there run by the son and daughter-in-law of the former owner .We called it " Antonio's " after the fish and chip shop from which Alf Tupper " the tough of the track " bought his meals .    
roundhegian

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

wiggy wrote: what was that chippy called at the back of old grandways,when they were on the old parade?the fish there were the biggest i have seen to this day.then there was the skyliner at seacroft.when i left school,i would go out drinking in the pathfinder,get some chips and bus fare home for a fiver,now i know i sound like mine and every body elses grandad,but beer was forty odd pence a pint,and i was only a light weight then,but its true.if the government dropped the price of beer in pubs,then put up the price in offies,then it would take a lot of drunken kids off the streets and put more bums on seats in the rapidly declining pub industry,but the nanny state knows best!i will NEVER vote labour again and i am seriously off topic now so i will shut up.....rant over. Bitter was 1/11 a pint . Four pints for ten bob !    
roundhegian

stevief

Post by stevief »

roundhegian wrote: stevief wrote: "The Jubilee"Burley Road.It was situated in the centre of a parade of shops close to the junction with St Annes Lane.I think it's a Chinese now.Some years ago they had a fire,the proprietor had just finished damping down when someone opened the door and asked if he had any fish that were"well done".The reply was unprintable! " The Ship " I think it was named on Harehills Lane near the site of the old Brownhill School . It had a wooden model of a galleon in the window . Last time I was around it was still there run by the son and daughter-in-law of the former owner .We called it " Antonio's " after the fish and chip shop from which Alf Tupper " the tough of the track " bought his meals .     There was one on Harehills Road called Le Galleon,just above Banstead Park.Don't know if it's still there.Also further up Roundhay Road near the Oakwood clock was a F&C shop with a very distinctive frontage."Alf Tupper" now there's an old school hero! Trained on fish'n'chips or pie'n'peas,spent all night welding before winning gold in the'mile'beating the German into second place.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

wiggy wrote: what was that chippy called at the back of old grandways,when they were on the old parade?the fish there were the biggest i have seen to this day.then there was the skyliner at seacroft.when i left school,i would go out drinking in the pathfinder,get some chips and bus fare home for a fiver,now i know i sound like mine and every body elses grandad,but beer was forty odd pence a pint,and i was only a light weight then,but its true.if the government dropped the price of beer in pubs,then put up the price in offies,then it would take a lot of drunken kids off the streets and put more bums on seats in the rapidly declining pub industry,but the nanny state knows best!i will NEVER vote labour again and i am seriously off topic now so i will shut up.....rant over. good call on the skyliner wiggy, proper nice fishcake buttys from there mate and when i say "fishcake" i mean FISHcake with real FISH and nice crispy brown batter mmmmmmmmmmm nice!!
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

liits

Post by liits »

The following is a cut and paste from my blog. I've posted it here because it covers the subject of chippies but also encompasses the Green Final, which has been covered elsewhere in this forum. It was actually the Green Final bit that had sparked the post originally. Bear in mind that the writing is aimed at Londoners, nd it may make a bit more sense."Being the youngest of a whole troop of older, football mad brothers [and a father], it always fell to me to go out and get the Green Final. Although there were more than a few newsagents in Crossgates, only one, Marsden's, stocked this damn thing and me being sent to get it coincided with them, mybrothers and Dad, coming home from Elland Road, tea being ready and the start of Dr Who.Marsden's was a fairish trek away. I could never figure out why I had to go and get this damn thing when 1. I was never going to read it. 2. One of my brothers could have stayed on the bus an extra stop and gone and gotten it. But, every week, get it I did. It was sort of a tradition.Tradition in our house meant that we had fish & chips on Monday. Going for the fish & chips was my job too. For some reason, which I don't recall, I was sent to get fish & chips on a Monday.We always went to Wood's chippy on Crossgates Road. Dutifully I traipsed to Woods and it was closed. Using my own initiative, I went to Coe's. Now Coe's fish and chips were not a favourite of Mam's. "They use frozen fish" she admonished. The fact that all fish has been frozen at some point passed Mam by, but, Coe's it had to be.Home I trudged, lugging "Six times, wi' scraps"."What the bloody hell is this?" growled Mam"Fish & chips""Why the hell did you get them gift wrapped?" as she stared at the parcels with a mild incredulity.This puzzled me. It turned out that what she meant was that they were wrapped in the previous Saturday's Green Final. I'd never even noticed. They were wrapped [in newspaper] and that was all that mattered. The colour of the wrapping never even being noticed by me.It never occurred to me, although I did know it, that the Green Final had the worst reputation for having the ink come off on your hands and also that the colour came out of the paper when it got damp / wet. Every Saturday had seen me sitting down to tea with hands like Connemara marble, mottled green and black.Although the fish and chips were never put directly onto the newspaper, a sheet of grease-proof paper separated them, some of the colour had tinted a few of the chips. These chips became mine. I won't recount the bollocking I got for getting the fish & chips from Coe's.This is why I've always been safe in the knowledge that whatever football touches, it taints. Basically, the taint amounts to nothing but some people take it far too seriously.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

[Road near the Oakwood clock was a F&C shop with a very distinctive frontage.". That is still there - art deco frontage - on a visit there recently I saw this shell suited figure walk past the entrance and post a letter in the pillar box - it was Jimmy Saville.
Industria Omnia Vincit

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

That Art Deco chippie is a listed building.

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

Well, liits, Coes is still going strong you may (not) be pleased to hear ... that was always my dad's preferred chippy Marsdens Corner is long gone, of course - maybe we need a lost newsagents/sweet shop thread!