lost chippies of leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

And don't forget to take a bit of fish home for your cat arry!!

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Nowt so common as Haddock for our Mog,Lily's Mum!we chuck him another Goldfish when he's hungry!Hang the expense!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

arry awk wrote: Good man Blakey!I agree abt Murgie's service, and it sounds as I remember, a few months back! Thanks for the backup Blakey! By the way,you didn't havea driver called Butler in your bus Company, did you? LOL! ps; If I want a takeway I'll give that one a miss and tryThe Fountain opposite! No 'arry awk we didn't have a Butler at Ledgards in Otley, nor at LCT, but at Pontefract where I did my last 14 years before retiring we did have one, and what a plonker - the "Real" Blakey would have head a field day sorting him out!! LOL
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

LOL! Hope he didn't leave a 'Butler's Revenge' on the bus!Ding Ding!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

There's an old-fashioned chippie on a corner of the Garnet's in Hunslet - a real-throwback but cracking fish and chips!!!!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

arry awk wrote: LOL! Hope he didn't leave a 'Butler's Revenge' on the bus!Ding Ding! I'd prefer not to remember some of the things he left on the bus !! LOL
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

simong

Post by simong »

BLAKEY wrote: Very happy with Murgy's Restaurant ta !! BUT I have to agree with others that the take away is just the opposite - only used it two or three times but found it to be poor service and grotty goods - the comparison above with McDonalds is a good one. Its very strange under the same roof and management isn't it ?? To be fair I've only ever used the takeaway and it always tends to be late on in the evening if I've been working late. Still, the place is popular enough especially when the weather's good so they must be doing something right, so I will make a visit to the sit down side one day and check it out.Have we covered the history of Billy Murg's? I know that it's so called because it was built on the site of William Murgatroyd's Moorfield Mill, but I'm sure that I read somewhere (that I can't find now) that the original cafe opened up when Harrogate Road was expanded to cater for traffic to the airport although I'm not sure if it was before or after the war. The restaurant's own website is rather vague about it too, so does anyone know the details?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

simong wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Very happy with Murgy's Restaurant ta !! BUT I have to agree with others that the take away is just the opposite - only used it two or three times but found it to be poor service and grotty goods - the comparison above with McDonalds is a good one. Its very strange under the same roof and management isn't it ?? To be fair I've only ever used the takeaway and it always tends to be late on in the evening if I've been working late. Still, the place is popular enough especially when the weather's good so they must be doing something right, so I will make a visit to the sit down side one day and check it out.Have we covered the history of Billy Murg's? I know that it's so called because it was built on the site of William Murgatroyd's Moorfield Mill, but I'm sure that I read somewhere (that I can't find now) that the original cafe opened up when Harrogate Road was expanded to cater for traffic to the airport although I'm not sure if it was before or after the war. The restaurant's own website is rather vague about it too, so does anyone know the details? I'm fairly sure that the current Murgatroyds premises are a former motor dealers showrooms - certainly they stand on the site of the former AFG which I seem to recall was a Nissan dealership.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Does anyone remember Andy Hills fish and chip shop on Low Lane in Horsforth close to the Bridge Inn, it was only open for a few years and then a new Andy Hills place opened on that retail park where the Marks and Spencer food place is just near the centre of Guiseley, this one shut down in a matter of months, however considering Guiseley is already home to Harry Ramsdens / Westfield chippies amongst other long established firms I dont know what marketing genius thought that Guiseley needed a new kid on the block as far as sit-down fish and chip resteraunts was concerned but it seemed to be the death knell for Mr Andy Hills fish and chip empire. He may still be trading somewhere but I havent seen where. Anyone?P.S - Bryans of Headingley and that place in Whitby - the Magpie cafe are amongst the best fish and chips I have ever eaten.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Si

Post by Si »

raveydavey wrote: simong wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Very happy with Murgy's Restaurant ta !! BUT I have to agree with others that the take away is just the opposite - only used it two or three times but found it to be poor service and grotty goods - the comparison above with McDonalds is a good one. Its very strange under the same roof and management isn't it ?? To be fair I've only ever used the takeaway and it always tends to be late on in the evening if I've been working late. Still, the place is popular enough especially when the weather's good so they must be doing something right, so I will make a visit to the sit down side one day and check it out.Have we covered the history of Billy Murg's? I know that it's so called because it was built on the site of William Murgatroyd's Moorfield Mill, but I'm sure that I read somewhere (that I can't find now) that the original cafe opened up when Harrogate Road was expanded to cater for traffic to the airport although I'm not sure if it was before or after the war. The restaurant's own website is rather vague about it too, so does anyone know the details? I'm fairly sure that the current Murgatroyds premises are a former motor dealers showrooms - certainly they stand on the site of the former AFG which I seem to recall was a Nissan dealership. Yes, I think you're right, but they didn't use the same building. The showroom was demolished and the restaurant was purpose-built. I seem to remember it opened under a different name (can't recall it) but closed after a short time, re-opening as Murgatroyd's later. Could be wrong.