lost chippies of leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: You're right Trojan. I've lived all over the country, and I'm really trying not to be biassed, but the fish and chips in this area really cannot be beat. I don't know which are the best spuds for chips, but haddock is the best fish for frying in batter...bar none. The only other place (absolutely no pun intended) where haddock is the fish of choice seems to be central Scotland. Got to be fried in dripping, an'all!The worst fish and chips are in London...they truly are disgusting (skin on, full of bones, species indeterminable, soaked in sunflower oil) and give totally the wrong impression to the rest of the world. Oh yeah you re right Si,and the T*** throw the scraps away!!!!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote: kierentc wrote: Trojan wrote: I suppose the major lost chippy in recent years in the centre of Leeds is Nash's on Merrion Street, which had a a take away and a Tudor restautant. There was another fish and chip restaurant in central Leeds, called Youngmans, it was up a ginnel/snicket (?) near the Odeon just off Upper Briggate.Yorkshire fish and chips take some beating, especially those from the Leeds/Bradford area, but there are far fewer now than there used to be. There's still some good ones left. But fish and chips is fast becoming a luxury meal. How long the traditional Yorkshire chippy can last in anyone's guess. i can't believe they've closed down. they always seemed so busy :-(i used to work near there and you had to go to the little door at the back to get takeaway, but then they opened an actual takeaway shop...and shortly after they were no morei miss kirby's in meanwood (well, yes i know its still there but its not the same since it was bought out a few years ago) I 've live North, South, East and west but you can't beat Fish and Chips from Leeds and Bradford area. In the 50s and 60s Saturday lunch was ALWAYS fish and chips from Fields on Scotthall Road/Potternewton Lane Junction. Then as a teenager on a Friday night in the early 60s a gang of us from Potternewton/Miles Hill, usually after a few pints in the 'Melbourne or the Beckets' then had fish and chips at Kirby's. In the 90s, when my daughter lived in Bradford, when we visited her one of the meals during the visit, apart from a Bradford curry from Naseebs at Lidget Green, was fish and chips and mushy peas from Odsal Top. A bit of a difference from the Cypriot Fish Meze this evening!! Yeah,but i bet it werent raining when you had your meze?Stil,nowt better than rain soaked fish and flips!!,and yer breadcake is like a flannel.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

if you ask for scraps down here they look at you daft,they call them bits...when i first moved down here i was waiting for the cooker to be installed,so i went to the local chippy and asked for chip butties--blank look and silence,so i said chip butties again,he said whats that,so i said chips in a bread cake and was told 'oh!,we don't do anything like that!'.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Si

Post by Si »

wiggy wrote: if you ask for scraps down here they look at you daft,they call them bits...when i first moved down here i was waiting for the cooker to be installed,so i went to the local chippy and asked for chip butties--blank look and silence,so i said chip butties again,he said whats that,so i said chips in a bread cake and was told 'oh!,we don't do anything like that!'. Does anyone have a definitive definition as to the difference between a bread-cake and a tea-cake? Cat-amongst-the-pigeons, anyone?

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote: I 've live North, South, East and west but you can't beat Fish and Chips from Leeds and Bradford area. In the 50s and 60s Saturday lunch was ALWAYS fish and chips from Fields on Scotthall Road/Potternewton Lane Junction. Then as a teenager on a Friday night in the early 60s a gang of us from Potternewton/Miles Hill, usually after a few pints in the 'Melbourne or the Beckets' then had fish and chips at Kirby's. In the 90s, when my daughter lived in Bradford, when we visited her one of the meals during the visit, apart from a Bradford curry from Naseebs at Lidget Green, was fish and chips and mushy peas from Odsal Top. A bit of a difference from the Cypriot Fish Meze this evening!! was fields where drakes is now? that is my favourite chippie and there's always a massive queue. thats no bad thing btw

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

wiggy wrote: if you ask for scraps down here they look at you daft,they call them bits...when i first moved down here i was waiting for the cooker to be installed,so i went to the local chippy and asked for chip butties--blank look and silence,so i said chip butties again,he said whats that,so i said chips in a bread cake and was told 'oh!,we don't do anything like that!'. when i lived in leicester i had the same thing. they called scraps 'bits' <supresses snort> and i got the blank look at chip butty too. ditto when i said chips in a breadcake. they called it a chip cob...we got there in the endleicester fish shop fish is revolting too btw...cooked in veg oil <bleugh>

tomprice2k

Post by tomprice2k »

@kierentcI dunno i lived in Leicestershire before i came up to Leeds to go to Uni and i've always called it a chip butty when i was there. What i don't understand is this calling bread 'Cake' notion

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Si wrote: wiggy wrote: if you ask for scraps down here they look at you daft,they call them bits...when i first moved down here i was waiting for the cooker to be installed,so i went to the local chippy and asked for chip butties--blank look and silence,so i said chip butties again,he said whats that,so i said chips in a bread cake and was told 'oh!,we don't do anything like that!'. Does anyone have a definitive definition as to the difference between a bread-cake and a tea-cake? Cat-amongst-the-pigeons, anyone? Surely a tea cake has currants in it? and a breakcake is plain and savoury

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

LS1 wrote: Si wrote: wiggy wrote: if you ask for scraps down here they look at you daft,they call them bits...when i first moved down here i was waiting for the cooker to be installed,so i went to the local chippy and asked for chip butties--blank look and silence,so i said chip butties again,he said whats that,so i said chips in a bread cake and was told 'oh!,we don't do anything like that!'. Does anyone have a definitive definition as to the difference between a bread-cake and a tea-cake? Cat-amongst-the-pigeons, anyone? Surely a tea cake has currants in it? and a breakcake is plain and savoury yep thats how ive always distinguished between the two
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Si

Post by Si »

What's the difference between a tea-cake and a fruit (or currant)tea-cake, then? I always thought a bread-cake was slightly larger and was dusted with flour, whereas a tea-cake was a tan colour on top? A fruit one had currants in it. Bread-cakes are best for chip/bacon/sausage butties, and tea-cakes are best for cold sarnies or jam. Of course, I may have been deluded all these years!