lost chippies of leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

arry awk wrote: Goo'on wi'yer, Simon! For one thing,I hate cider. (Long story!)and by the time I can drag me poor old pins all the way up Outgangand Hough Lane,I'm only fit to withdraw a book and toddle back down 'oam!(downhill all the way! Minestew(!), if they had some Leeds Bitter or Riggwelters on tap in<h> libr'y I might be suitably refreshedenough for some scriptwriting! Anyroadup,till such a time,I'll dome level(horizontal?)best to Sluffen'everybody off wi' me Goonishramblings.I still like Bryan's, skin on or off! They do a real good pensioner'sSpecial 3 course meal and pot o'tea for just under £7! They have awonderful 'Harbourside' scene,(tiled wall )down one side of therestaurant. Real atmosphere.I reckon!Another good Fish restaurant in Headingley,is Brett's,Oppositethe Library on North Lane. Bit Spartan inside but the visitingRugby teams all seem to favour it.Arry Bretts is a contender for best in Leeds IMO as is Drakes on Scott Hall Road, as for Ramsdens - the Westfield on the A65 before you get to Guiseley - is it Yeadon? is 1000% better. Hillycroft in Morley is good - but expensive £3.85 for F&C.
Industria Omnia Vincit

stevief

Post by stevief »

There was one on Queenswood Drive,the parade of shops next to the used car place.Supper after a night in the Duttons!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

When I worked in Gildersome there were two pubs at Gildersome Cross Roads - the more famous of the two was the Spread Eagle - but opposite on Gelderd Road was The Kings Arms (they were both Hammonds pubs) and in the car park was a chippy. Half a crown would by you fish chips, tea bread and butter sat down - good value even for those days. The pubs, and the chippy were swept away by the M62 nearly forty years ago
Industria Omnia Vincit

stevief

Post by stevief »

To the right of the Horsforth Hotel there was a street of stone built houses(I'm delving deep into the old memory banks here!) the very top house was a F&C shop and an excellant one.It was above street level,up a flight of stairs.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Trojan wrote: When I worked in Gildersome there were two pubs at Gildersome Cross Roads - the more famous of the two was the Spread Eagle - but opposite on Gelderd Road was The Kings Arms (they were both Hammonds pubs) and in the car park was a chippy. Half a crown would by you fish chips, tea bread and butter sat down - good value even for those days. The pubs, and the chippy were swept away by the M62 nearly forty years ago Picture here of Gildersome X - roads pre motorway days.
Attachments
__TFMF_rreocc45ukb4rdvaokfqtt45_e3e89572-9a81-49e0-bf46-533ef8f95f90_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_rreocc45ukb4rdvaokfqtt45_e3e89572-9a81-49e0-bf46-533ef8f95f90_0_main.jpg (102.19 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Trojan wrote: Croggy wrote: Well, liits, Coes is still going strong you may (not) be pleased to hear ... that was always my dad's preferred chippy Marsdens Corner is long gone, of course - maybe we need a lost newsagents/sweet shop thread! Are there such things as "sweet shops" any more? I mean shops that sell sweets, chocolates, ice cream and lollies, and cigarettes and that's all? I can't think of one round here. (Morley) Get to Skipton opposite the Castle left hand side as you approach the castle then just around the corner.Did some work for Thornes last year who still produce traditional sweets in Heckmondwike.If you sucked it they still have it.......

Si

Post by Si »

stevief wrote: kierentc wrote: chameleon wrote: do you remember Drakes opposite the Station in Crossgates? i wonder if they're the same drakes as the one opposite the scott hall swimming baths? the best fish and chips in leeds...according to the sign outside loli think they have one in harrogate too (unsurprisingly with a notice saying 'the best f&c in harrogate...') 'Drakes' have a shop in Knaresborough,it's a big 'eat-in' or 'take-away'place,and they're pretty good F&Cs.Si,do you ever use the Maypole fisheries in Otley?? They're superb.There was a fishery at the bottom of Horsforth town street.Same side as the Old Kings Arms,bit further up. Yes, Stevie, I know the Maypole well. Used to be called Ballinger's. Nice little caff in the back, too. I like the Cove and Gay Lane Fisheries in Otley, too. My brother reckons the Wooden 'Ut are best - near The Yew Tree.Westfield Fisheries are excellent too, as mentioned above. They seem to win a lot of awards.    

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

simonm wrote: Pashy wrote: small chippy opposite the Gamecock pub.------real f & cs. Still there that one and still giving out decent F+C. Pashy wrote: Even younger I used to go to the cubs in Lower Wortley and after the meet we'd go to Penny's chippy, corner of Branch rd and Cow Close rd to get two penneth of scraps covered in salt and vinegar. This is a great site but I cant get any work done after reading all the threads. The humour has me in stitches particularly from blokes like Sir Harold Hawk.CheersAndy The chippie you mention is now a chinese takeaway and has been for quite a few years now. There is one chippie not to far away from there, over the ring road. As you go up the hill on Lower Wortley Rd and turn left into Granny Lane there is a real small chippie on the left. Not been in for a year or so, but last time I did they were fantastic.Oh, and sir Harold of Hawk is not what you would think either. He has a script writer and sits in the public library most days drinking white lightening. I'm struggling to think which shop would have been the chippy and is a Chinese now near the Gamecock? Which side is is on, the laundrette side or the post office side?I assume Frionor is still going strong on the juntion of the Ring Road and Tong Road?

simonm

Post by simonm »

Squatch_11 wrote: simonm wrote: Pashy wrote: small chippy opposite the Gamecock pub.------real f & cs. Still there that one and still giving out decent F+C. Pashy wrote: Even younger I used to go to the cubs in Lower Wortley and after the meet we'd go to Penny's chippy, corner of Branch rd and Cow Close rd to get two penneth of scraps covered in salt and vinegar. This is a great site but I cant get any work done after reading all the threads. The humour has me in stitches particularly from blokes like Sir Harold Hawk.CheersAndy The chippie you mention is now a chinese takeaway and has been for quite a few years now. There is one chippie not to far away from there, over the ring road. As you go up the hill on Lower Wortley Rd and turn left into Granny Lane there is a real small chippie on the left. Not been in for a year or so, but last time I did they were fantastic.Oh, and sir Harold of Hawk is not what you would think either. He has a script writer and sits in the public library most days drinking white lightening. I'm struggling to think which shop would have been the chippy and is a Chinese now near the Gamecock? Which side is is on, the laundrette side or the post office side?I assume Frionor is still going strong on the juntion of the Ring Road and Tong Road? Pashy was on about the F+C shop on the left hand side of Hennconner lane on the junction with pudsey Rd, so on neither of the row of shops you mention, it's a few yards from the Total garage, right on the roundabout. My reference to the chinese takeaway, that used to be a F+C shop is a mile or so along the ring Rd, near Ringways garage! Hope that helps?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

Arry, now I know where your puddled son gets his sense of humour from (who by the way should be re-instated, along with a couple of others who, I think were unfairly treated some time ago!!!!)
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"