lost chippies of leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Si

Post by Si »

jonleeds wrote: Does anyone remember Andy Hills fish and chip shop on Low Lane in Horsforth close to the Bridge Inn, it was only open for a few years and then a new Andy Hills place opened on that retail park where the Marks and Spencer food place is just near the centre of Guiseley, this one shut down in a matter of months, however considering Guiseley is already home to Harry Ramsdens / Westfield chippies amongst other long established firms I dont know what marketing genius thought that Guiseley needed a new kid on the block as far as sit-down fish and chip resteraunts was concerned but it seemed to be the death knell for Mr Andy Hills fish and chip empire. He may still be trading somewhere but I havent seen where. Anyone?P.S - Bryans of Headingley and that place in Whitby - the Magpie cafe are amongst the best fish and chips I have ever eaten. That place in Guiseley has been a bit of a revolving-door, resaurant-wise. It's been a chippie, a Burger King and several curry places. When it was The Silver Spoon Indian Restaurant, they had their own limo service to pick you up and drop you off home after - a kind of takeaway delivery service in reverse!Not keen on Bryan's, but I agree with you about The Magpie - if you don't mind queuing!        

Eric the Red

Post by Eric the Red »

jonleeds wrote: Does anyone remember Andy Hills fish and chip shop on Low Lane in Horsforth close to the Bridge Inn, it was only open for a few years and then a new Andy Hills place opened on that retail park where the Marks and Spencer food place is just near the centre of Guiseley, this one shut down in a matter of months, however considering Guiseley is already home to Harry Ramsdens / Westfield chippies amongst other long established firms I dont know what marketing genius thought that Guiseley needed a new kid on the block as far as sit-down fish and chip resteraunts was concerned but it seemed to be the death knell for Mr Andy Hills fish and chip empire. He may still be trading somewhere but I havent seen where. Anyone?P.S - Bryans of Headingley and that place in Whitby - the Magpie cafe are amongst the best fish and chips I have ever eaten. The Horsforth Andy Hill's was indeed a short lived venture, it was previously a sandwich shop- I worked at MHG practically next door and it was wicked for 'tomato dips'. I've lived in Horsforth since 1969 and it that period, the area has lost at least 5 chippies- all becoming Chinese or Indian or burger/kebab take-aways. There does however remain a little jewel of chippies- 'Regent Fisheries', one of those places that you need to know where it is to find it, tucked away in a back street behind the Horsforth Hotel- you are asked what your order is when you go in and it's cooked fresh- no dried up fish thats been sitting in a 'hot-box' for god knows how long! Give it a go!
A good Loiner is like a savings account- once it matures, it earns money...

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Never mind 'lost chippies' - I know where there's a new chippie opening!!!!! It's true - I'll reveal where its to be 'tout suite' if no one else knows where it is !.    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

jane666

Post by jane666 »

wiggy wrote: Brandy wrote: old captain cook's at coldcoates circus now thats what you called fish!!!!!! i loved captain cooks..later to become the lotus house...think it still is..     not been on for a while, so hello again. captain cooks? my uncle barry had this chippy in the late 70s early 80s. me and my brother used to 'help out' in summer hols when i was about 12. he used to let us eat as much as we liked, which sounds great, but after your 4th fish butty in a row the novelty wore off! nice to hear some have fond memories of it.
Get in the tardis. We're off to Manchester 1973

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Eric the Red wrote: jonleeds wrote: Does anyone remember Andy Hills fish and chip shop on Low Lane in Horsforth close to the Bridge Inn, it was only open for a few years and then a new Andy Hills place opened on that retail park where the Marks and Spencer food place is just near the centre of Guiseley, this one shut down in a matter of months, however considering Guiseley is already home to Harry Ramsdens / Westfield chippies amongst other long established firms I dont know what marketing genius thought that Guiseley needed a new kid on the block as far as sit-down fish and chip resteraunts was concerned but it seemed to be the death knell for Mr Andy Hills fish and chip empire. He may still be trading somewhere but I havent seen where. Anyone?P.S - Bryans of Headingley and that place in Whitby - the Magpie cafe are amongst the best fish and chips I have ever eaten. The Horsforth Andy Hill's was indeed a short lived venture, it was previously a sandwich shop- I worked at MHG practically next door and it was wicked for 'tomato dips'. I've lived in Horsforth since 1969 and it that period, the area has lost at least 5 chippies- all becoming Chinese or Indian or burger/kebab take-aways. There does however remain a little jewel of chippies- 'Regent Fisheries', one of those places that you need to know where it is to find it, tucked away in a back street behind the Horsforth Hotel- you are asked what your order is when you go in and it's cooked fresh- no dried up fish thats been sitting in a 'hot-box' for god knows how long! Give it a go! Regent Fisheries!!! top chippy that is!!!! if we had a choice between Alexandra Road or the Regent it would be Regent every time! Cravens opposite the Grey Horse was not bad either in it's previous incarnation, we just called it "The Grey Horse Chippy" Dunno what it's official name was!!!
Love a Landrover

peterg

Post by peterg »

This thread seems to have gone quiet. My first solid memories of a fishshop date from 1939 when we went to live in Crossgates and a Mr Shaw opened one in the row of shops at the end of Penda's Grove. Fish and chips 6d, fishcakes (two slices of spud, fish in the middle and batter on the outside) 3d. Later on, a long wait at mid-day while he prepared massive orders for Roe's and Barnbow during the war years. Open six days a week. Only one evening closed, if I remember rightly.Can't get the fish 'n chips I would like here. We use olive oil and, since at home we haven'g got a deep frier, done in a frying pan. People don't quite understand why I lace the fish and chips with vinegar, salt and pepper, but that's the way we did it back in Leeds. I miss 'em.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Fish cakes are still going strong in Leeds Peterq!! - you don't have to explain what they are , well not to me anyway!!!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

peterg wrote: This thread seems to have gone quiet. My first solid memories of a fishshop date from 1939 when we went to live in Crossgates and a Mr Shaw opened one in the row of shops at the end of Penda's Grove. Fish and chips 6d, fishcakes (two slices of spud, fish in the middle and batter on the outside) 3d. Later on, a long wait at mid-day while he prepared massive orders for Roe's and Barnbow during the war years. Open six days a week. Only one evening closed, if I remember rightly.Can't get the fish 'n chips I would like here. We use olive oil and, since at home we haven'g got a deep frier, done in a frying pan. People don't quite understand why I lace the fish and chips with vinegar, salt and pepper, but that's the way we did it back in Leeds. I miss 'em. I am pretty sure you can get some Lard or Dripping from a Supermercado,as for a chip pan,well,any old pan thats sturdy(possibly 2 handles) will do for chips and fish.We use an oldCasserole pot.The problem over there might be getting the fat hot,there gas doesn't seem to get hot like ours does.
"always expect the unexpected"

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

peterg wrote: This thread seems to have gone quiet. My first solid memories of a fishshop date from 1939 when we went to live in Crossgates and a Mr Shaw opened one in the row of shops at the end of Penda's Grove. Fish and chips 6d, fishcakes (two slices of spud, fish in the middle and batter on the outside) 3d. Later on, a long wait at mid-day while he prepared massive orders for Roe's and Barnbow during the war years. Open six days a week. Only one evening closed, if I remember rightly.Can't get the fish 'n chips I would like here. We use olive oil and, since at home we haven'g got a deep frier, done in a frying pan. People don't quite understand why I lace the fish and chips with vinegar, salt and pepper, but that's the way we did it back in Leeds. I miss 'em. Possibly mentioned earlier in the thread, but the chippy on the Pendas is now a Chinese takeaway. Shame as they were nice fish and chips.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Bert

Post by Bert »

Croggy wrote: The chippie on Marshall Street, Cossgates finally closed a couple of years ago, supposedly for a re-furb but it is now a private house/flat.     There used to be two chippies on Marshall Street, Croggy. This one and another down at the bottom in a wooden shack next to the then still illegal bookies near the entrance to the railway path. Both served good fish and chips, although at the lower one you sometimes had to blow the ash off them that had dropped from the fag that hung permanently in the mouth of the guy who did the frying.