lost chippies of leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
dogduke

Re: lost chippies of leeds

Post by dogduke »

blackprince wrote:My childhood chippy in the 1950s was on the corner of Clifton Avenue ( or possibly Grove ) with Sutherland Rd , Harehills. I expect it has long gone. I remember the owner peeling his spuds in a machine outside in the yard. Anyone else remember this chippy?
A peculiarity of buying fish and chips elsewhere in the country is that the salt and vinegar tends to be kept on the server's side of the counter and when they ask if you want salt and vinegar they sprinkle it themselves. In Yorkshire I always sprinkled my own salt & vinegar before the server wrapped it, in newspaper in the good old days!
Clifton fish shop still doing a good trade - use them myself.
I think the current owners father used to run it.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Regarding my altercation with Mrs. Tat's and my abdication without paying the bill from her fish shop, if any of her descendants are looking in I would be happy to settle the account, (approximately ) 18 bob (90p) for the four of us plus accruing interests from the mid 1950s

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

volvojack wrote:Regarding my altercation with Mrs. Tat's and my abdication without paying the bill from her fish shop, if any of her descendants are looking in I would be happy to settle the account, (approximately ) 18 bob (90p) for the four of us plus accruing interests from the mid 1950s
Hiya volvojack :)

Call it 20 bob (£1, or 240 old pennies for the young folk ;) ) then using the Bank of England (BoE) inflation calculator £1 in 1950 would now be £30.90 and £1 in 1955 would now be £23.66 (an average inflation rate of 5.4% was assumed by the BoE for both). :o
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

dogduke wrote:
blackprince wrote:My childhood chippy in the 1950s was on the corner of Clifton Avenue ( or possibly Grove ) with Sutherland Rd , Harehills. I expect it has long gone. I remember the owner peeling his spuds in a machine outside in the yard. Anyone else remember this chippy?
A peculiarity of buying fish and chips elsewhere in the country is that the salt and vinegar tends to be kept on the server's side of the counter and when they ask if you want salt and vinegar they sprinkle it themselves. In Yorkshire I always sprinkled my own salt & vinegar before the server wrapped it, in newspaper in the good old days!
Clifton fish shop still doing a good trade - use them myself.
I think the current owners father used to run it.
That's good to know. Thanks, Dogduke.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Leodian wrote:
volvojack wrote:Regarding my altercation with Mrs. Tat's and my abdication without paying the bill from her fish shop, if any of her descendants are looking in I would be happy to settle the account, (approximately ) 18 bob (90p) for the four of us plus accruing interests from the mid 1950s

Call it 20 bob (£1, or 240 old pennies for the young folk ;) ) then using the Bank of England (BoE) inflation calculator £1 in 1950 would now be £30.90 and £1 in 1955 would now be £23.66 (an average inflation rate of 5.4% was assumed by the BoE for both). :o
Thanks for that info, at the time the Bobbies from Dewsbury Road Nick could have charged me with a "Salt amd Batter y"

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

volvojack wrote:
Leodian wrote:

Thanks for that info, at the time the Bobbies from Dewsbury Road Nick could have charged me with a "Salt amd Batter y"
That made me :) volvojack. I would have got off lighter as I always preferred my fish lightly battered. ;)

It's probably blasphemy to say it but I liked (and still do) the very soft almost liquid batter that stuck to the paper and had to be wiped off by a finger to eat it. Also nowadays I've got so used to fries at burger places that I no longer like traditional chips. Of the few times I've used Fish & Chips shops in recent years it irritates me that with the traditional thick chips there are also large amounts of dry small bits of chips.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

At least you (still) have soemn fish and chips shops in leeds that cook in proper animal fat and don't produce those awful thin things that go with the even worse lumps of pre-chewed meat called burgers. (Sorry Leodian ). I live in Reading and the nearest place I know that you can get really decent fish and chips is the Black Country museum in dudley ( 107 miles away ), and probably the next nearest would be around Barnsley

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Here in the Gloucester areas good fish and chips are extremely rare, they are mainly shops that seem to cook everything in , burgers etc inall the same pans. They did open a branch, much heralded, of Harry Ramsdens in Bristol which turned out to be just average and quite expensive. First thing I do when returning for a visit to leeds is to the Skyliner up at Crossgates and guzzle "Special and Chips" sat in the car. (Heaven)

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

On our weekly visit to Leeds yesterday, we bought Fish and Chips at Key fish shop on Inglewood Drive,
we ate them when they had cooled enough sat on Templenewsam Road.
My son lives 200yards from the Skyliner, he thinks I go to Austhorpe to see him :D

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I did think that was very funny Rhino.

I can't do with the effort they call Fish and Chips down where I live and the Oriental behind the counter asking you if you want "Sore Finger ??" on them.