lost chippies of leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
snowman1

Re: lost chippies of leeds

Post by snowman1 »

hi volvo jack
i live just around the corner from the skyliner special and chips are our favorite,was there a chippy on theodore street? when i lived at beeston we used the one in cross flatts grove.
happy days
regards
tony :D

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hi. There Tony,
The Fish Oil in Theodore Street was opposite Cross Flatts W.M.C., as for the one you refer to that was on the corner of one of the Dalton's (?) and when I went in there in the 1960s / 70s the owner a very big guy, nice fish and dirks.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There used to be a Fish & Chips shop on Osmondthorpe Lane about where there is now a Rani Superstore opposite the East Leeds Health Centre according to Google Street View. There was probably a Fish & Chips shop there from at least the early 1950s but if I remember correctly it had closed and was part of a Leonard's (?) Off Licence by at least the early 1970's. I recall keenly waiting (along with many others) for the shop to open so that we could place an order, so it must have been cheap and good quality. An occasional order for a 'special' fish (dearer but larger and fried on demand) was always particularly looked forward to! ;)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

That is the one , If the owners are still Sugdens ( as over the door) then they have been many many years.

Back in the early 1950s when this shop was "Knights" they had a girl evacuee from Cardiff who had stayed on after the War .we strolled in Cross Flatts Park and Myfanwy Knight was the First girl I ever kissed and as it has turned out I am married to a Welsh girl and she has made sure she is the Last girl I will ever kiss.

totherone

Post by totherone »

I used to attend Green Road School back in the sixties(1966/1970),and there used to be an old corner shop chippy simply called "Green Road Fish an Chips" just a long the road,i can taste them now,the best chips in Meanwood(there were five),..can i have a six penny bag of chips please?,can i have a threepenny one?,sometimes if you had know money the owner would give you them for free knowing you'd be back,brilliant,those were the days

totherone

Post by totherone »

"Green Road Fish n Chips"along the road leading to the school(which i attended 1966/70)was the best fish and chips in Meanwood(there being five altogether),it was only a little corner shop,five people would full up the place,...can i have a sixpenny bag of chips please?,can i have a threepenny bag?...brilliant,can taste them now.