Help save the Summercross, Otley

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
sosotley

Post by sosotley »

Save Our SummercrossPlease help save our pub, visit:http://www.sosotley.org.ukAny information you may have (including Si & stevief) would be helpful.Thankssosotley
Save our Summercross

Si

Post by Si »

What info do you have in mind?Si

stevief

Post by stevief »

I'm afraid all I can offer is a 20 year old anecdote.I looked at the photos on your website and realised I'd never seen the vast beergarden.Unfortunately a property developer would see it as land to build on and car parking space.

sosotley

Post by sosotley »

We are looking for ANYTHING which would add to our case that the Summercross should reopen as a pub:(1) The (unique?) pub name: “Si” has said “The name comes from the times when livestock was driven to Otley market across the river near there. The ford was only passable in the summer, hence The Summercross.” We think this is the case but have no proof. “steief” has said “I believe they had a plaque inside explaining the origin of the name.” We now have another reference to the plaque but it appears to have been removed a significant number of years ago.When was it last seen? What did it say? Has anyone a photo?(2) The possibility that cider or perry might have brewed there in the distant past (because of the linkage to the adjacent large orchards shown on older maps).Does anyone know anything about this?(3) Information and/or photos about events at the pub (particularly older and early photographs).Many thankssosotley
Save our Summercross

Si

Post by Si »

I believe there used to be several orchards to the east of the town (think Orchard Street) and many pubs used to brew their own concoctions. The Summercross is marked by name on the 1909 OS map. Apart from Elm Terrace and a row of six cottages opposite Gallows Hill, it's the most easterly building in Otley at that time. I'm afraid that exhausts my knowledge of the pub!Good luck and keep us informed of developments!Si

Si

Post by Si »

PS I've just seen your article in Full Measure.Si

stevief

Post by stevief »

There was a story in the EP this week saying the Summercross had won an award from CAMRA (was it most improved pub??).They managed to get the owners to accept the award on the steps of the boarded-up pub,followed by some vigourous lobbying to re-open.    

Si

Post by Si »

stevief wrote: There was a story in the EP this week saying the Summercross had won an award from CAMRA (was it most improved pub??).They managed to get the owners to accept the award on the steps of the boarded-up pub,followed by some vigourous lobbying to re-open.     Yeah, crazy, innit?

sosotley

Post by sosotley »

Now is your chance to help fight the planning application to demolish the Summercross pub in Otley (and build fourteen houses). Many and varied concerns have been raised about this proposal, including the recent discovery that on the plans the trees in the adjacent park are drawn in the wrong location (for example one tree is drawn as being located in the footpath on Pool Road).Please object to this proposal now as the closing date for the receipt of comments is Thursday 21 February. For further guidance on how to object (including a simple form to print, sign and post) please visit www.sosotley.org.uk/applications.htm
Save our Summercross

Si

Post by Si »

sosotley wrote: Save Our SummercrossPlease help save our pub, visit:http://www.sosotley.org.ukAny information you may have (including Si & stevief) would be helpful.Thankssosotley The planning application for the Summercross pub has been refused. Congratulations to the SOS campaigners! Please see their website above.On a personal note, I hope the pub is re-opened because one of their quiz teams have moved into my local, making it harder to win!!! ;-)