The most pivotal pubs for the formation of bands and best pub gigs in Leeds

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
ddeane

The most pivotal pubs for the formation of bands and best pub gigs in Leeds

Post by ddeane »

Hi there,

If anyone can share any thoughts about pub spaces which were important starting points for bands from Leeds please do share, Im writing some research on important pub spaces in Leeds which had such effect, particularly pubs like the Fav and The Fenton were for post punk and goth music scenes.

Id also be interested in some of the highlights in terms of performance from pub spaces within Leeds.

Thanks all!

tyke bhoy

Re: The most pivotal pubs for the formation of bands and best pub gigs in Leeds

Post by tyke bhoy »

I think the Grove(Holbeck) and Fforde Green (Harehills) would have to go on that list. Not exactly in the genres you mention but Glaswegian Mark Knopfler was among those to play the former.. There was a time you had to have played the latter to "have made it" as a Leeds pub band.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Jann

Post by Jann »

There was The Robin Hood pub on Vicar Lane that had live music,it closed down a few years ago ,the Hugo Boss store is situated near where it used to be,the Duck and Drake pub in Kirgate has live music ,at the Fforde Green I once saw Woody Woodmansy -he used to be the drummer for David Bowie ,think Woodys band was called U Boat

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Jann wrote:
Thu 07 Apr, 2022 10:29 pm
There was The Robin Hood pub on Vicar Lane that had live music,it closed down a few years ago ,the Hugo Boss store is situated near where it used to be,the Duck and Drake pub in Kirgate has live music ,at the Fforde Green I once saw Woody Woodmansy -he used to be the drummer for David Bowie ,think Woodys band was called U Boat
Woody's band was called Screen Idol, at least it was in the late 70's when they supported Darts at Leeds Uni.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi Tabbycat ! I’ve found Woody’s official website and he mentions U-Boat but he states it sunk without a trace !

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I was reminded last night at Leeds Arena of a band that had played the Fforde Green. Jim Kerr said he and his bandmates had thought Glasgow was tough (implying until they'd played the Fforde Green)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/