Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
LeedsGloyt

Re: name of pub

Post by LeedsGloyt »

I followed through in it on many an occasion

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Most Irish lads, when arriving in Leeds headed for the Roscoe as they were sure to be offered a job or someone who could find them work. there was even a board on the pub wall offering lodgings. The landlord Noel Squires was a friend of mine and used to hold music events outside the back of the pub in a marquee. When Noel left the pub,for a short while he took over The White Stag on North St. but when The Foresters premises became available on Brookfield St, he bought it. This was behind Thrifty Van Hire.

He named his premises "The New Roscoe" and this became an overnight success with bands and music events each week.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Are you sure about it being Brookfield street? In Hunslet?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

The New Roscoe was situated in the old Foresters Club in Sheepscar Street South, but the access was from behind via Roseville Road, because of the road lay-out.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Thanks Ian. I didn't think the New Roscoe had a second location and am aware of the road layout around the location.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

The New Roscoe closed several months ago.
Don't think anything has been done with the building.
Seem to remember the"urbex" people dong a film after it closed.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

having had another look at the map of Leeds i realise i have made a cobblers of the address, another lad i knew at that time was Edward Kats. the manager of Thrifty Van Hire which was in front of the property, he said it could be worth a lot of money if it ever came up for sale. Not having lived in Leeds for some years i have lost touch with Noel.
So apologies Tyke bhoy

MELBOURNE

Post by MELBOURNE »

The white stag was the pub with all the graffiti in the toilets. Many faces were added to the stones in the wall as well. Great Tetley house in its day. Used to be down an Alley to get to it.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

The White Stag was on Whitelock St. off North Street with frontage hidden by Number 146
and 148 (Two Lock up shops) that was made it very hard to see by passing trade. The shops are gone now and the space now is used for pub. parking. Don't think it was ever a busy house, certainly not in the 50s or 60s From memory the short Street behind the shops was Cross Stamford St.

Tassi

Post by Tassi »

Hi There new to site.
Does anyone remember the Fairway at Gipton my parents were managers there during the late 1950’s Early 60’s