Crown Hotel on Crown Point Road.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

Crown Hotel on Crown Point Road.

Post by Leodian »

Having a general meander around today (Oct 20 2015) in parts of some areas that I may never have been to before I went on Crown Point Road (CPR) and saw the derelict Crown Hotel at the junction of CPR and Hunslet Road. I suspect the pub has likely been the subject of other SL threads but with the current makeover going on it seems the search function is not available. I therefore thought that I would post these 3 photos that I took of the Crown Hotel. Two show the figurines and one is a view showing the old (the pub) and the modern (the building beyond on CPR).

PS. I seem to recall that Hunslet Road was much longer than it is now, which seems to be just a very short stretch.
Crown Hotel on Crown Point Road (Oct 20 2015).
363R.jpg (145.45 KiB) Viewed 9408 times
364R.jpg (112.99 KiB) Viewed 9408 times
366R.jpg (90.48 KiB) Viewed 9408 times
Edited October 23 2015. I originally referred to Crown Point Road in this thread as Crown Point Street but I have now amended that so as not to cause any confusion if anyone does a search of SL. Thanks again to LS1 for pointing out my mistake :).
Last edited by Leodian on Fri 23 Oct, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

LS1

Re: Crown Hotel on Crown Point Street.

Post by LS1 »

It's actually on Crown Point Road Leodian. If you look at the old maps, Hunslet Lane met Hunslet Road as it does now, but continued into and through what was the Tetley's site to meet up with Waterloo Street. Hunslet Lane also ran through the same site to meet with Salem Place though it dog-legs slightly now towards Meadow Lane whereas once it continued straight.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Thanks LS1 for finally inspiring my interest to look up something I have often pondered being why what to all intent and purposes appears to be the same road is Great Wilson Street, then Hunslet Lane, then Hunslet Road then Hunslet Low Road to Thwaite Gate.

So looking at 1962-9 OS Plan on old-maps https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/429961 ... /13/100765 Hunslet Road and Hunslet Lane both originated at a junction with Dock Street and Meadow Lane outside the Adlephi at Bridge End. Hunslet Lane ran pretty much due south to the West of Salem Chapel before bending slightly eastwards to meet the “end” of Great Wilson Street just before Crown Point Road at which point it took almost a 90degree turn to head pretty much easterly before bending towards the south again. Hunslet Road followed the line of the buildings at the Adelphi junction and zig-zagged a bit at junctions with South Brook Street and Crown Point Road before joining and subsuming Hunslet Lane in front of where the new building college is just before Black Bull Street.

Bits of Hunslet Lane and Road still exist in the vicinity of the Adelphi although Hunslet Lane in particular has very little of its original route
https://goo.gl/maps/Nd4qetoHKVt
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

LS1 wrote:It's actually on Crown Point Road Leodian. If you look at the old maps, Hunslet Lane met Hunslet Road as it does now, but continued into and through what was the Tetley's site to meet up with Waterloo Street. Hunslet Lane also ran through the same site to meet with Salem Place though it dog-legs slightly now towards Meadow Lane whereas once it continued straight.
:oops: . I really should know better than to rely on what I think I know of Leeds!

My rubbishness also continued (no :o there!) as during my long meander around I thought I would see a building complex that I have not been to see before. I thought it did not seem as impressive as I had believed it to be. On checking later the Tower Works that I saw was not the Temple Works that I had expected (the differing name should have alerted me!). Not only that but it is on Globe Road not Water Lane that I thought I was on! Temple Works will have to wait another day, if I ever manage to actually get onto Marshall Street!

One thing that was apparent in that and the nearby areas are the vacant plots (some very large) clearly waiting to be developed. Some was recently reported to have been sold for such a purpose.

Cheers also LS1 for the Hunslet Lane/Road info :).

Cheers tyke bhoy for your help and information :).

Edit October 23 2015. I have now amended my incorrect mentions of Crown Point Street in my post at the start of this thread so that they now read the correct Crown Point Road. Thanks to LS1 for pointing out my original mistake :).
Last edited by Leodian on Fri 23 Oct, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Have a look at the NLS Maps website... http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=5& ... 0&layers=1 it's a 1910 map but you can overlay/ change the transparency of the old over the new map.

Leodian

Re: Crown Hotel on Crown Point Road.

Post by Leodian »

Being in the area on June 21 2022 I noticed that the Crown Hotel is still there and derelict. I took this photo which when compared to that I took on October 20 2015 shows much the same scene (apart from some work going on along Crown Point Road). As far as I know the building is not Listed so it surprises me it has not been demolished, so I wonder if there are plans for it. The 2 heads are still there but very dull looking.
CrownHotelCrownPointRoadJune212022..jpg
CrownHotelCrownPointRoadJune212022..jpg (118.71 KiB) Viewed 4912 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Leodian I think with some TLC the building would fit in with the modern surroundings although its old the building could be made to fit in with its neighbours.It does not need any external remodelling to the structure.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tilly wrote:
Fri 01 Jul, 2022 8:15 pm
Hi Leodian I think with some TLC the building would fit in with the modern surroundings although its old the building could be made to fit in with its neighbours.It does not need any external remodelling to the structure.
Hi tilly :).
It's interesting that the Crown Hotel has been vacant since at least August 2008 (from Google Street view) so if it was going to be demolished it would surely have happened by now. There were however some derelict houses opposite on Hunslet Road in at least August 2008 and were still there in July 2021 (Google Street view) but they were not there on June 21 2022 and their site was grown over.
Last edited by Leodian on Sat 02 Jul, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jma

Post by jma »

Bearing in mind the rate of pub closures everywhere, if you could wave a magic wand and turn this place into a fantastic boozer, how long would it stay open? It might as well be on the moon.

I've found a couple of things online whichI don't think have been linked

A bit of recent history

http://grandiosedecay.weebly.com/crown-hotel.html

A planning application

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/ ... d.2282579/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jma wrote:
Sat 02 Jul, 2022 1:13 pm
Bearing in mind the rate of pub closures everywhere, if you could wave a magic wand and turn this place into a fantastic boozer, how long would it stay open? It might as well be on the moon.

I've found a couple of things online whichI don't think have been linked

A bit of recent history

http://grandiosedecay.weebly.com/crown-hotel.html

A planning application

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/ ... d.2282579/
Hi jma :). Thanks for those links.
I notice that the 'Grant of Full Planning Permission' is dated 25 August 2020 and in that it states "The development hereby permitted shall be begun before the expiration of three years from the date of this permission" so there is still time for work to start!