Outside Loo

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
TABBYCAT

Re: Outside Loo

Post by TABBYCAT »

liits wrote:
sparky415 wrote:The Queens in Horsforth have an outside loo i think........
I had problems replying too.
thanks for the replies, it was a Tetley's pub so possibly Whip or the Mucky Duck.

Re outside toilets, the madhouse and the mucky duck were my boozers of choice in the past and can confirm the facilities were indeed outside.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Old Pubs for example like The Woolpack and The Imperial in Holbeck only had a yard with a channel for the urine to run away, just a brick wall.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

TABBYCAT wrote:
liits wrote:
sparky415 wrote:The Queens in Horsforth have an outside loo i think........
I had problems replying too.
thanks for the replies, it was a Tetley's pub so possibly Whip or the Mucky Duck.

Re outside toilets, the madhouse and the mucky duck were my boozers of choice in the past and can confirm the facilities were indeed outside.

As don't imagine this has much more mileage in it and there seems to be a lack of new subjects at the moment how about some of the characters that used to haunt the town pubs, i'll start with Harry Bendon, the 6 ft. Scotch singer / comedian whose outrageous antics around the two pubs mentioned above are legendary. Harry and his accordion were a familiar sight around Leeds centre for many years before he became a down and out sitting on the Corn Exchange steps.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

The man himself Harry Bendon
Attachments
Harry Bendon.jpg
Harry Bendon.jpg (79.84 KiB) Viewed 4075 times

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

As j.c.d. mentioned, many pubs had outside WCs, usually at the rear of the premises. Nowadays, irrespective of where the loo is I still sometimes say "I'm just going to the back" when I need to use the "facilities"

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

uncle mick wrote:The man himself Harry Bendon

Brilliant picture Uncle Mick, probably Harry in his prime. looks like its taken near his old stamping ground the King Edward pub. don't like the look of his "Groupie" on his right

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

j.c.d. wrote: Brilliant picture Uncle Mick, probably Harry in his prime. looks like its taken near his old stamping ground the King Edward pub. don't like the look of his "Groupie" on his right
I hope you mean the one on the left :roll:

:idea:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

jdbythesea wrote:As j.c.d. mentioned, many pubs had outside WCs, usually at the rear of the premises. Nowadays, irrespective of where the loo is I still sometimes say "I'm just going to the back" when I need to use the "facilities"
Or, as a famous son of Leeds once said, " I'm going outside. I may be some time..." ;)
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

A few years back some portable urinals were to be placed around the centre of Leeds to stop men using the streets as toilets. I don't recall if any were ever put into use but if they were I wonder what eventually happened to them?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

raveydavey wrote:
jdbythesea wrote:As j.c.d. mentioned, many pubs had outside WCs, usually at the rear of the premises. Nowadays, irrespective of where the loo is I still sometimes say "I'm just going to the back" when I need to use the "facilities"
Or, as a famous son of Leeds once said, " I'm going outside. I may be some time..." ;)
I don't wish to be pernickety Ravey but if you are referring to Capt. Lawrence Edward Grace "Titus" Oates (1880-1912) I have always understood he was born in Putney, London. I would however be pleased to be proved wrong.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?