Leeds Pubs

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

I am compiling a book about Pubs ( Inns Taverns etc not wine bars ) in Leeds 1750 to date, ( hopefully to be published in the near future), some are gone and those that are still openanybody with names of past landlords ( and aprox dates of licence ) or bar staff or indeed any unusual info on establishment please drop me an email, new info always welcomeI have aprox 1000 on my data basejimbo

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Jimbo - please contact me on sjd0907@yahoo.com - i have a lot of info that you might find interesting.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

AngryofMayfair

Post by AngryofMayfair »

I can help you with some detail about The Gamecock Inn in the 60's as posted in the 'lost pubs' thread - you can get in touch with me if you need more info - plantek@ozemail.com.auPS how do we send private messages on this forum?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Jimbo5553 wrote: I am compiling a book about Pubs ( Inns Taverns etc not wine bars ) in Leeds 1750 to date, ( hopefully to be published in the near future), some are gone and those that are still openanybody with names of past landlords ( and aprox dates of licence ) or bar staff or indeed any unusual info on establishment please drop me an email, new info always welcomeI have aprox 1000 on my data basejimbo I cant "drop you an email" Jimbo as you do not display your email address on your profile( probably not a bad idea considering the 'spam' problem we had a few months ago!).so please contact me on my email address sjd0907@yahoo.com.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

caz

Post by caz »

does anyone remember the name of an old pub in hunslet, it was on william street next to ashley st. off pearson street. my granny used to live in ashley st. and i can remember her taking a jug and having it filled up with beer around at the side entrance, this was about 1950

stevief

Post by stevief »

caz wrote: does anyone remember the name of an old pub in hunslet, it was on william street next to ashley st. off pearson street. my granny used to live in ashley st. and i can remember her taking a jug and having it filled up with beer around at the side entrance, this was about 1950 I was in The Crooked Billet on Hunslet Rd.last weekend.They have an excellent collection of photos featuring old pubs from Hunslet and Holbeck area as mentioned in the Lost Pubs thread-and it's a cracking pint of bitter!

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

I know a former landlord of the duck and drake! i'll see if i can get some info!
Love a Landrover

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

liits

Post by liits »

With the name Croggie, this may be a bit closer to home for you [?]. The Manston, now, apparently, the Barnbow, was being refurbished many, many moons ago [mid seventies]. What was being built was the [then] new gents toilets for the lounge & manor bar. This was tacked onto the rear of the [then] tap room. Typical of Tetleys, they had employed two old "paddy's" with a pick, shovel and a wheelbarrow. While chopping away at the ground, one saturday morning, the earth started to shake and there was a loud rumbling. Mick and Paddy had cried out to B'Jesus and done a runner while a large hole had opened up in what was then the beer garden. The taproom had emptied, apparently, with the "reglurs" still holding hands of domminoes and clutching pints of mild. [Next a bit of architectural info / history]Downstairs in the cellar, there were actualt two cold rooms. One where the beer for the lounge was kept [under the lounge], the other where the beer for the tap room and manor bar was kept [under the manor bar]. Under the rear of the building were four long archer rooms. [From right to left or west to east] The glass / beer mat / junk store, the office, the bottle store and lastly the empty bottle store. In the empty bottle stoor was a huge, very old, stone trough sink. Beside this was a bricked up doorway. By all accounts, beyond this was another three long arched rooms. Mick and Paddy had chopped through the keystone of one of these and it and the other two had fallen in.They were outside the outer wall of the [then] existing building and had been under what had been the stables. These had been pulled down in the 1800's when it was still a privaqte house [it didn't become a pub until 1963] and, for whatever reason, didn't show up on any existing plans. Hence PAddy & Mick caused a big hole.It was all back filled and that's why, for years the beer garden and the yard outside the managers back door, had a nice tarmac surface.Now you know.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

I can picture em'both scratching there heads looking down the hole.LoL nice one.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.