Best pub crawls in Leeds from the past

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

We used to start at the Union at the beginning of Dewsbury Rd. the White House opp. and then up the Parkfield, Robert Peel (one nearby can't remember its name), Silver Cross and then the Moorhouse, the Junction, Green Man, New Inn, by this time Dewsbury Rd. was becoming a blur, there was then the Broadway and Tommy Wass.                     Happy days.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

If staying "local":We'd occasionally start in The Pendas Arms, but more often than not it would be The Birch Tree, then The Old Red Lion, The Pathfinder, very occasionally The Sovereign, The Cricketers Arms, The Lion and Lamb and finish in The Travelers Rest.Or if just touring Cross Gates a mini pub crawl of: The Devon, The Station, The Manston and then The Travelers Rest. Often either The Manston or The Devon would be left out as they were out on such a limb and compromised valuable drinking time.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

loinerchris

Post by loinerchris »

Great to hear your feed back guys! I enjoy an occasional pint In cross gates it pretty handy for me, but the majority of the time I just end up going in town, taking in the angel to begin then on to the white locks ,victoria,or even a walk to the grove stopping at the Scarborough and prince of Wales, but this route changes with the wind!

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Apart from the Rising Sun and the Cardigan Arms there must have been a lot more pubs along that bit of Kirkstall Rd. I'm curious: before all the slum clearances, if you were going into town along Kirkstall Rd, what was the first pub on the left after the Rising Sun, and how many pubs were there on that side of the road between that and whatever the Central/Wellington called itself back then?

liits

Post by liits »

mhoulden wrote: Apart from the Rising Sun and the Cardigan Arms there must have been a lot more pubs along that bit of Kirkstall Rd. I'm curious: before all the slum clearances, if you were going into town along Kirkstall Rd, what was the first pub on the left after the Rising Sun, and how many pubs were there on that side of the road between that and whatever the Central/Wellington called itself back then? We've had a similar one to this before - although it was only how many pubs were there on Kirkstall road itself. There is an overlay mosaic of google earth and the 1908 maps from the end of West Street to Kirkstall Hill but I cant find it using the search facility. A link to the Flickr version is herehttps://www.flickr.com/photos/liits/5704726014/in/photolist-but the link will need tricking about to make it work [I don't know how].

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

mhoulden wrote: Apart from the Rising Sun and the Cardigan Arms there must have been a lot more pubs along that bit of Kirkstall Rd. I'm curious: before all the slum clearances, if you were going into town along Kirkstall Rd, what was the first pub on the left after the Rising Sun, and how many pubs were there on that side of the road between that and whatever the Central/Wellington called itself back then? New Inn at the junction with Willow Rd , then just further down same side Lloyd Arms.
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Top thread LoinerChris, can't quite believe this hasn't been covered before. Seems like a quintessentially SL subject!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

The Ship --> Barneys --? Guildford ---> Chaplins ---> The Vic ---> The George ---> The Jubilee ---> Scarborough (near my bus stop) every week for 5 years, with the odd foray into The Conservatory, Bond , Oscars (Opposite the Bond) and The Three Legs/Vine.Then Warehouse/Bali Hai/Phono....

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

[quotenick="dsco"]Top thread LoinerChris, can't quite believe this hasn't been vered before. Seems like a quintessentially SL subject! [/quoteGeorge IV.still there but sadly closed.]