Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Here maybe?
Attachments
Google Maps.jpeg
Google Maps.jpeg (119.11 KiB) Viewed 10817 times

simong

Post by simong »

That's certainly plausible. I wonder, if you could find old bus and tram route information, if that stop was known as Horse and Jockey in the past.

whitecoatboy

Post by whitecoatboy »

i used to live in 1 eric st a few years back (falls wood cafe) it never used to be a pub, eric st was built for the quarry workers and there is a big house on the other side of leeds & brad rd which looks down the st to make sure the workers had set off for work. the picture which shows the building is where the bus stop is but not sure if that was ever a pub, but there once was a pub abit further down the road on the opposite side called the old oak tree inn.
if it feels good ......... dig it!

polo

Post by polo »

Anyone able to help with census records?

polos

Re: Horse and jockey ... Bramley ?

Post by polos »

So I know this is an old thread of mine but I was randomly browsing census records for bramley and was googling key words and this showed up I forgot I'd even posted it.
So I may have inadvertently solved this one. This is an educated guess so I'd like to know what other people think.
For starters I think leodis has it wrong that the bridge inn was called the horse and jockey. The thing that caught my eye was an entry called the ship inn which obv I've never heard of. The census goes Kirkstall Bridge then ship inn then Kirkstall Bridge again which made me think that maybe the bridge inn used to be called the ship inn previously.
I looked at later records too and got the address as 42 Kirkstall Bridge which I translated to 42 Bridge Road. So I stuck it into Google maps and look and behold it matches perfectly.
Any thoughts?

As a side note there's a reference to acorn hill which I know doesn't exist today but best guess is could that have been the previous name for pollard lane? I'm guessing the street existed a long time before John pollard. In fact I think.it was very old.

I do enjoy working out how names have changed over time. Like gang house (bramley) is on the 1851 map then in the 1850 census it's called ganous and today it's the ganners estate. There's lots more but I won't bore yous further thanks for any feedback

polos

Post by polos »

Oh here's the census

http://www.calverley.info/cen_bram_1851_e.htm

And the only other thing Google turned up

http://breweryhistory.com/wiki/index.ph ... _Ltd._pubs

Which is also confusing if it,was acquired in 1865 but on an earlier census maybe another brewery had it which means it must be pretty old.

Also somewhere around here was a station inn too wonder where it was maybe on the other side of the river opposite the bridge as Old maps show a station there.

It's really fun googling all the job titles too. Weren't they very specific back then for example coach spring maker.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That's all fascinating stuff polos :).
I wonder how many of the pubs in your link to the 'List of Kirkstall Brewery Co. Ltd. pubs' are still around? Some names got me wondering. For example did the Scott Hall Hotel on Scott Hall Road become the Skinners Arms? Did the 'Cromwell Inn with brewhouse' on Cromwell Street, Burmantofts, become the Harp (which I understand may now be closed). Was the Friendly Inn in Horsforth really friendly! ;)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

The Harp was known as the Duke William.
Don't know what it was before that.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

There is a Leeds Trades Directory 1817 and page 195 shows a pub called the Horse and Jockey at Kirkstall Bridge. The proprietor was W. Scarborough:

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digi ... 4638/rec/3

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Further to my previous post, I have just checked some more photographs of the Bridge Inn, on Leodis, and found this photograph which also has a reference to the Trades Directory that I mentioned earlier:

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL