Fforde Greene pub.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
LS1

Post by LS1 »

What do you do though? I'm 26 and my generation dont seem to want to preserve them. there is enough on here (SL) about trying to preserve pubs but literally they close buy the day.Went for a drive today, through Halifax, to (dare I say it) Todmorden and Rochdale, and I must have passed about 8 pubs all closed down for what looked like a considerable amount of time in what looked like busy areas and small villages.If people dont go, they aint gonna stay open. Landlords get older, and younger people dont want to be tied down owning the pub. I'm afraid it is a changing society and as peoples tastes change, pubs close.The sense of community has gone, people work later and cant be bothered to go to the pub after work especially in the winter months tower blocks go up in town and trendy wine bars are becoming the norm selling [edited for content] watered down lager.The amount of times i try to persuade my work mates to go to the town all tavern or horse and trumpet after work and get knocked bak i give up trying. They'd rather go to bloomin Greek Street where everything is 20%+ more expensive. It beggers beleif! Changing world and not necessairily for the better!rant over and apologies for the rubbish punctuation, spelling and grammar!    

LS1

Post by LS1 »

oops, wrong thread!

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

carlosp wrote: Why not put heads together and stop the decay of our natural right of the local pub. i don't want wine bars or Mexican chilli houses. A pint and conversation will do me.After the smoking ban i feel it is only a matter of time before all local establishments will be lost forever. the smoking ban is brilliantyou don't come home stinking like an ashtrayyour eyes and nostrils no longer stingand you aren't goinmg to pick up chest, throat infections, risk cancer and all the other stuff just because some idiot thinks its a good idea to inhale foul smelling poisonous substances and breath the resulting pollution over everyone around them: bliss.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

fevlad wrote: the smoking ban is brilliantyou don't come home stinking like an ashtrayyour eyes and nostrils no longer stingand you aren't goinmg to pick up chest, throat infections, risk cancer and all the other stuff just because some idiot thinks its a good idea to inhale foul smelling poisonous substances and breath the resulting pollution over everyone around them: bliss. They should ban non essential vehicle use on the same basis.    

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

fevlad wrote: the smoking ban is brilliantyou don't come home stinking like an ashtrayyour eyes and nostrils no longer stingand you aren't goinmg to pick up chest, throat infections, risk cancer and all the other stuff just because some idiot thinks its a good idea to inhale foul smelling poisonous substances and breath the resulting pollution over everyone around them: bliss. Here here.Although the smoking ban will undoubtedly contribute to the closure of many traditional pubs, the right's of people being able to enjoy a drink WITHOUT having to inhale other people's dirty tobacco smoke is far more important. It's sad that many people who smoke would rather stay out of pubs and drink at home rather than be willing to not indulge in a bad habit for a few hours, that affects other people's health.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Geordie-exile wrote: fevlad wrote: the smoking ban is brilliantyou don't come home stinking like an ashtrayyour eyes and nostrils no longer stingand you aren't goinmg to pick up chest, throat infections, risk cancer and all the other stuff just because some idiot thinks its a good idea to inhale foul smelling poisonous substances and breath the resulting pollution over everyone around them: bliss. They should ban non essential vehicle use on the same basis.     agree totally

edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

Is the smoking ban brilliant, I was all for it last year when it came in, but since then Ive changed my mind, all the non-smokers were saying they would start going out again because of this, but what have we seen , pub closure after pub closure, where are these nonsmokers now? I think a designated area in the pub would have been fair enough as long at it had decent air conditioning, but lets face facts, the majority of people who for instance go to working mens clubs smoke and have a pint, its the only place many older people would go to to see there mates, they've stopped bothering now because they aren't allowed to do this anymore, Oh by the way Sycamore Hotel, Morley RIP as from yesterday.        

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

edgey2001 wrote: Is the smoking ban brilliant, I was all for it last year when it came in, but since then Ive changed my mind, all the non-smokers were saying they would start going out again because of this, but what have we seen , pub closure after pub closure, where are these nonsmokers now? I think a designated area in the pub would have been fair enough as long at it had decent air conditioning, but lets face facts, the majority of people who for instance go to working mens clubs smoke and have a pint, its the only place many older people would go to to see there mates, they've stopped bothering now because they aren't allowed to do this anymore, Oh by the way Sycamore Hotel, Morley RIP as from yesterday.         yes it is

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

I think pubs were closing down long before the smoking ban came in to force. The licensed trade is getting so it's difficult for anybody to make a living. Before pubs were ruined by the brewers in the sixties, most pubs would have separate rooms, one of which would be a 'Smoke Room'. Originally the only room in the pub where you could smoke. Was that such a bad thing? I approve of pubs being smoke free and enjoy the clean air but I think a complete ban was an ideological over-reaction to a problem that didn't really exist. How many people get ill from passive smoking? Don't all shout 'Roy Castle!' at once.Now that the breweries are limited in the number of pubs they can own and have sold their property portfolios to their own subsidiary companies, there seems to be a large number of landlords charging publicans huge rents and doing two-thirds of five-eighths of very little in return. One of my local publicans had to cease trading and move to a smaller pub because the first £1,200 of his profit every week went on his rent. Yes, that's every week!the government wants to create a continental style cafe society in town centres. They need to look at the continent to see how they do it. A lot of bars and cafes on the continent are family owned and run, not managed by accountants.It's sad to see the number of pubs lying empty but if you look at the asking prices for the rent (or sale price in the few that are for sale) they are way out of reach of the individual entrepreneur and will never generate enough revenue to recoup the cost.Here endeth the rant.
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

edgey2001 wrote: Is the smoking ban brilliant, I was all for it last year when it came in, but since then Ive changed my mind, all the non-smokers were saying they would start going out again because of this, but what have we seen , pub closure after pub closure, where are these nonsmokers now? I think a designated area in the pub would have been fair enough as long at it had decent air conditioning, but lets face facts, the majority of people who for instance go to working mens clubs smoke and have a pint, its the only place many older people would go to to see there mates, they've stopped bothering now because they aren't allowed to do this anymore, Oh by the way Sycamore Hotel, Morley RIP as from yesterday.         Although the smoking ban has contributed to pub closures, it's not the only reason. The competition from supermarkets selling cheaper booze, the increase in duty, drug pushers, the state of the economy, the availability of other forms of entertainment has all had an effect. It's not the non-smokers who stayed away from from pubs who count, they probably wouldn't go in anyway, its the non-smokers who did like to attend pubs for a drink but had to suffer breathing contaminated air that are my concern. There is a greater good here, those who want to smoke can still do so, outside or at home, but therre is no reason why they should need to do it in a crowded room and force the effects of their habits on other people.