The Bridge Inn, Kirkstall

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
LS13

Post by LS13 »

I heard its late as they were quoted a ridiculous amount for buildings insurance due to the flood risk. Used to be a nice pub mid to late 90's then a succession of bad managers ran it down. Last two visits I made they were fighting in lumps outside. Lets hope KB dispense with the cheap lager and alcopops to deter that crowd...

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

LS13 wrote: I heard its late as they were quoted a ridiculous amount for buildings insurance due to the flood risk. Used to be a nice pub mid to late 90's then a succession of bad managers ran it down. Last two visits I made they were fighting in lumps outside. Lets hope KB dispense with the cheap lager and alcopops to deter that crowd... Some money has been spent in not too distant past (same time as the downstairs bar upgraded?) on flood defence as the wall/gate to the beer garden are of those heavy duty flood defence types.I'm not in the area any more but hopefully it will still open and I'll look forward to making a trip down to sample the ale.

simong

Post by simong »

Local food writer Leigh Linley has written a book called 'Great Yorkshire Beer' and includes a piece on Kirkstall. Their beers are relatively hard to find as they've made a decision to concentrate on cask and keg and they actually want people to track them down, so I think the Bridge will be a great destination when it's ready. I'll be there, lying under the Three Swords pump.    

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

This link was posted by the Kirkstall Bridge Twitter account: http://www.gumtree.com/p/jobs/bartender ... 9Hopefully the proximity to the student halls will mean they've got plenty of customers to keep them going, and educate them in the ways of good beer. The student union bar at my old uni actually had a Cask Marque for the last couple of years that I was there.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Got a sneak preview of the (new) Old Bridge on Wednesday when they had a 'soft launch' night for family and friends (not that I'm either, I'm more of a friend of a friend!) It opens for real next week, I think on Tuesday.I was absolutely blown away by the place - they've done an incredible job on the interior, just beautiful in there and the collection of bar paraphenalia is stunning. And of course the beer is excellent, as you'd expect. Looking forward to many a pint in there in the future Get yourselves down there!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

tilly

Post by tilly »

dsco wrote: Got a sneak preview of the (new) Old Bridge on Wednesday when they had a 'soft launch' night for family and friends (not that I'm either, I'm more of a friend of a friend!) It opens for real next week, I think on Tuesday.I was absolutely blown away by the place - they've done an incredible job on the interior, just beautiful in there and the collection of bar paraphenalia is stunning. And of course the beer is excellent, as you'd expect. Looking forward to many a pint in there in the future Get yourselves down there! Hi dsco What a change to have news of a pub that has been saved thanks for letting us know how thing are going. I must call in and have a drink.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Very happy to see this pub open again although its 6 months late for me - I've left Kirkstall!Will be making a trip down there real soon though, sounds like a stand up job they've done?

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Yup, went to the opening night on Tuesday and had a great time. The beers are fantastic, the interior is beautiful, staff are very friendly, punters are sound. Highly recommended all round.Just about makes up for The Abbey going down the pan of late :..(
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Spud

Post by Spud »

Mrs Spud and myself were tempted out on Tuesday night by rumours of additional quaffing premises in Kirkstall and so attended the Bridge Inn reopening as the Brewery Tap and were highly impressed. I cannot see how it can fail, especially if the rumours that the bars in the hall of accommodation over in studenland at the Old Brewery have closed, are true.Warning the Kirkstall Ruin is 8 or 9 percent and best drunk in half pints.Can only see two minor problems, one is the hike to what is now the only Gents. With the use of the former upstairs facilities as extra bar space the only gents is now at the far end of the downstairs Bar.Only other problem, and this may reflect my tight fisted Northern attitude, is that some of the speciality brews are a bit pricey. Mrs. Spud likes clear fizzy Ciders and lagers of reasonable quality so was drinking a Continental Pilsner of some description that was on draught. When this ran out bar staff directed me to some American import on tap, which,”is like a Pilsner”. This turned out to be an unfiltered Yank IPA which was not really what the good lady wife required. I ended up drinking it and, as a beer bore, I found it mildly interesting. Pleasant enough but not up to the standard of the cask stuff. What was spectacular about it was the price of a pint, substantially north of the fiver a pint mark. This led to a personal record for the price of a two pint round in a conventional Public Bar in the North of Watford category. Eight pounds and sixty new pence!!!!!!!.We also visited Bar 24 which has opened in the old Veggie restaurant next to the traffic lights and we were very pleasantly surprised. Kirstall beer was of good standard from the single hand pump and the bar has a really good ambiance. Mrs Spud had the Draught cider which was some West Country brew I’ve never heard of and pronounced it V good. Rumour is of a Beer Garden, smoking area planned round the back.As a side note when one takes into account the Bridge reopening along with the new Bar 24 and the existing West End, Central Kirkstall now has 3 Quality bars/pubs of differing character. A month ago it had but one. Hopefully this will attract more drinkers into the area. Let’s face it and I may be throwing down a challenge here, most if not all of the Pubs in Horsforth are either bland, or not up to a decent standard in either hygiene or beer quality .This also applies with one or two obvious exceptions to Headingley and the surviving pubs of Bramley.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Nicely put Spud, will have to give Bar 24 a go on your recommendation in that case. Can't say I was exactly convinced by the exterior... Nor by the previous signage for 'La Dolche Vita' (sic).Speaking of misspellings on advertising banners, Gallery FortyOne, the "Meditteranean" bistro over the road, is also really nice (excellent pizzas and all very reasonably priced) and they have opened a new bar area in the next unit - not been into the bar bit yet mind you. Owners/staff are all lovely though.Go Team Kirkstall