The Tetley brewery public house matchbox collection.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Does anyone else remember the time Tetleys did a set of matchboxes of their pub signs? It seems like an ago ago now. I seem to think it wasn't long after the Tetley tee shirt pub hunt in the early 80's.I found a small set of photos of them, sadly It's hard to see which ones they are. They weren't all in Leeds, but across Yorkshire. Can anyone remember which Leeds pubs were featured? They'd be quite a good set to have these days, no one at the time would have thought Tetleys would be in the terrible state they are in today.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Dog and Gun York Road had one!
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

It's a shame that pic isn't a bit bigger.I'm 99.9% certain that both The Pathfinder at Seacroft and The Station at Crossgates featured on them respectively.Daft isn't it, but at the time these matchboxes would have been a very common sight, yet now they are so very rare.Both my dad and uncle were Tetley's drinkers (none of that John Smiths 'rubbish' for them) and they both smoked so these matchboxes - plus my formative drinking years were mainly in Tetley's pubs so these would have been commonplace at the time.    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

raveydavey wrote: It's a shame that pic isn't a bit bigger.I'm 99.9% certain that both The Pathfinder at Seacroft and The Station at Crossgates featured on them respectively.Daft isn't it, but at the time these matchboxes would have been a very common sight, yet now they are so very rare.Both my dad and uncle were Tetley's drinkers (none of that John Smiths 'rubbish' for them) and they both smoked so these matchboxes - plus my formative drinking years were mainly in Tetley's pubs so these would have been commonplace at the time. I know, I used to collect them at the time. Must have had them all, but one day you move on and clear out, the things we wished we'd kept with hindsight!Yes I recall the pathfinder was featured too. I wonder how they chose which pubs to do?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Phill_dvsn wrote: raveydavey wrote: It's a shame that pic isn't a bit bigger.I'm 99.9% certain that both The Pathfinder at Seacroft and The Station at Crossgates featured on them respectively.Daft isn't it, but at the time these matchboxes would have been a very common sight, yet now they are so very rare.Both my dad and uncle were Tetley's drinkers (none of that John Smiths 'rubbish' for them) and they both smoked so these matchboxes - plus my formative drinking years were mainly in Tetley's pubs so these would have been commonplace at the time. I know, I used to collect them at the time. Must have had them all, but one day you move on and clear out, the things we wished we'd kept with hindsight!Yes I recall the pathfinder was featured too. I wonder how they chose which pubs to do? At a guess, those with pub signs that were eyecatching and would look good on a matchbox? The sign for the Pathfinder was quite striking, with a chap with the lantern leading the way to safety (and beer!) if I remember correctly. Much as I enjoyed drinking in there at the time, I can't think of many other reasons to immortalise it!Plus I guess they'd also choose the bigger or more important pubs across the company - I'm almost sure the likes of The Adelphi would feature.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Sorry to go off-topic but the mention of Tetley matchboxes reminded me that I have an unopened pack of Tetley playing cards that were given away during a visit to Tetley's Brewery many years back (it will be well over 30 years back). I suspect the packs are common though, as visits to the Brewery were once common.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Erminman

Post by Erminman »

Interesting, only because whilst perusing through Secret Leeds one time, I came across a photo of a Tetley's matchbox and was instantly reminded of my childhood, where I was fascinated by pubs as I was under age to ever really enjoy them for what they really were about. I collected each of these matchbox series, unfortunately they got lost somewhere in time. But thanks to the magic of Ebay I only recently won series A & C of these. Oh how I miss those halcyon days.. most of those pubs have long gone before I had time to visit them.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Erminman wrote: I only recently won series A & C of these. Oh how I miss those halcyon days.. most of those pubs have long gone before I had time to visit them. Great stuff, I was wondering how many series they did, or if they were just a one off 24 set collection. Can you upload any photos, or what Leeds pubs were featured?

Erminman

Post by Erminman »

I will try and take some photos tomorrow as my webcam is not too good in this light, I'll set up my decent cam and give it a bash, failing that I will write them down..

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Erminman wrote: I will try and take some photos tomorrow as my webcam is not too good in this light, I'll set up my decent cam and give it a bash, failing that I will write them down.. Thanks