Cigany Nightclub, Headingley

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
GENERALBEAR

Re: Cigany Nightclub, Headingley

Post by GENERALBEAR »

The Cigany opened in the mid sixties when the Headingley Arndale was built (with a 10 pin bowling alley, the second only one in Leeds after the Merrion).
It was owned by a Hungarian man called Albert Nemeth who ran it with his wife Kat and helped by his son Thomas. The chef was called Kiss (pron. Kish) who was also a true Hungarian.
After The Cigany, Albert opened a cafe/bistro - The Piazza - at the city end of Woodhouse Moor opposite what is today The Library pub. He later opened The Paprika at Hyde Park and eventually The Alpha Grill opposite the university steps.
After he retired Thomas took over the business until he too retired and sold The Alpha, which is now Charco's.
Albert died a few years back, around 2016 I seem to remember, and sadly Thomas also died in May 2018.
They were all quite some characters!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Just slightly off topic.
As a small boy I heard my Dad say"all sigani" or similar,meaning that the job was done or everything o.k.
Actor Kenneth Williams said something similar in an episode of Hi Di Hi when he arrived back from London after seeing Joe Maplin to sort things out.
Any thoughts ?
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Amendment ,
Kenneth CONNER, ot Williams
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

jim

Post by jim »

Possibly an alternative (or faulty) spelling for "Tzigane", another name for Romani people.