The Fenton Hotel.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

I've been trying to research the history of this pub for the new management. I've been a regular there for about 20 years. I've not managed to find much online apart from pictures in Leodis and some old maps.Does anyone know the history of this place or could point me in the right direction?No-one seems to know when it was a hotel.I assume it was built in the late 1800's around the time they built the housing estate that was replaced by the university campus.There used to be a barracks nearby.

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

I assume it was called the Fenton because of Fenton Street.

BJF

Post by BJF »

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

dERvXeroX wrote: I assume it was called the Fenton because of Fenton Street. More likely Fenton street was named after the pub.I dont know where the name comes from but I do know there was another' Fenton' in Leeds. It was the Fenton Arms'in Thwaite gate, Hunslet near the Crooked Billet , demolished in the late1950s /early 60shttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... 4_81428165 .I would suspect there was a family of landowners in Leeds called 'Fenton' Try looking in old trade directories    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Si

Post by Si »

drapesy wrote: dERvXeroX wrote: I assume it was called the Fenton because of Fenton Street. More likely Fenton street was named after the pub.I dont know where the name comes from but I do know there was another' Fenton' in Leeds. It was the Fenton Arms'in Thwaite gate, Hunslet near the Crooked Billet , demolished in the late1950s /early 60shttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... 4_81428165 .I would suspect there was a family of landowners in Leeds called 'Fenton' Try looking in old trade directories     Not in Leeds, but not far - anything to do with Church Fenton?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

dERvXeroX wrote: I've been trying to research the history of this pub for the new management. I've been a regular there for about 20 years. I've not managed to find much online apart from pictures in Leodis and some old maps.Does anyone know the history of this place or could point me in the right direction?No-one seems to know when it was a hotel.I assume it was built in the late 1800's around the time they built the housing estate that was replaced by the university campus.There used to be a barracks nearby. I have found The Fenton in Whites Directory of 1872. It is listed as a beerhouse @ 25 Woodhouse Lane. I am assuming it's the same one and the numbering has changed.The best hope for more detailed info is if "Liits" logs in

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I've always known it as just The Fenton, used to be a regular in there right through the 80's. Never heard of it as a hotel, seems a tad small for a hotel too.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Chrism wrote: I've always known it as just The Fenton, used to be a regular in there right through the 80's. Never heard of it as a hotel, seems a tad small for a hotel too. In 1911 it is listed as a hotel on the census
Attachments
__TFMF_vc4tqv45jpcoamea0fhbxcmp_ad43c4f0-0aaa-4992-a625-d0898bbd8700_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_vc4tqv45jpcoamea0fhbxcmp_ad43c4f0-0aaa-4992-a625-d0898bbd8700_0_main.jpg (164.29 KiB) Viewed 5439 times

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

uncle mick wrote: Chrism wrote: I've always known it as just The Fenton, used to be a regular in there right through the 80's. Never heard of it as a hotel, seems a tad small for a hotel too. In 1911 it is listed as a hotel on the census Well ya live & learn, I stand corrected.     
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.