Does anyone remember when Sweet Street looked like this? (Crytal Palace pub)

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Information from British Phone Books.1968 Works Dept (Head Office) - Sweet Street1978 Public Works Dept - Sweet StreetI don't know if this helps    

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

uncle mick wrote: Information from British Phone Books.1968 Works Dept (Head Office) - Sweet Street1978 Public Works Dept - Sweet StreetI don't know if this helps     Thanks Uncle Mick it does. "Public Works" is the phrase that my brain refused to remember and I believe it was still Public Works up to the closure of the site. Part of Leisure Services also occupied part of the site for at least some of the 90's as I was twice interviewed for Leisure Services positions at Sweet Street.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

pablo leeds

Post by pablo leeds »

just a few more thoughts/questions...is the gas canister structure on the first picture still there?what is the white building behind the wall on the left here?http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... LAY=FULLis it a pub?thanks

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

pablo leeds wrote: what a mess it was then. i work round here near Beweleys Hotel. *shocked* http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 420_168866 Yes,wow....big change to nowadays.I remember the white buildings on the right of the picture as we had dealings with a company in some premises in among them.They were into engineering/steel fabrication and were very run down premises indeed.They closed down when the old guy in charge died(late 70's I think).My mate worked in the council offices in public works dept.Further back down the road was the Midland Bank which was my first account in the 70's.We would often pass the C.Palace as we walked from town towards Elland Rd on match days,usually starting in The Crown,Hunslet Rd(where they caught the fugitive the other day).There were plenty of other "fugitives" in there way back then !
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

pablo leeds

Post by pablo leeds »

whereabouts was the bank then? demolised i assume

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

pablo leeds wrote: whereabouts was the bank then? demolised i assume Yes,fraid so....was just before the Commercial on the same side of the road(actually on sweet st)...very handy it was too at the time.Kays was just around the corner and their"shop" too where you could pick up end of season/line goods or stuff unboxed etc etc fairly cheap.Their warehouse dominated the local skyline for many years prior to demolition.

pablo leeds

Post by pablo leeds »

so the bank was closer to the crystal palace pub than the commercial pub then?possible where there is a bit of grass infront of the mosaic church nowadays then where cars park?

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

pablo leeds wrote: so the bank was closer to the crystal palace pub than the commercial pub then?possible where there is a bit of grass infront of the mosaic church nowadays then where cars park? It was IIRC marginally closer to the pub but I suspect there wasn't much in it.It was just set back from the main rd(i.e. sweet st).

fredfullst0p

Post by fredfullst0p »

I went in the Crystal Palace in the 70s, hard to see on the Leodis shot but it was surrounded by a small motor rewind company called Ingleby Motors.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

fredfullst0p wrote: I went in the Crystal Palace in the 70s, hard to see on the Leodis shot but it was surrounded by a small motor rewind company called Ingleby Motors. Aye,the pub was a favourite match day watering hole on way from town to ER.