The Dolphin Vicar Lane

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Looking at a street plan yesterday I came across The Dolphin on Vicar Lane. This would have been located opposite the Ludgate Hill Entrance to the Market on the West Side of Vicar Lane at the junction with King Edward St. If you look up at high level there is a /molding/sculpture of a fish which my old uncle used to call a dolphin. Just wondering if anyone new if it was related to said pub

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Thanks for that Chris I should have looked before posting, but it doesn't answer the question of the fish moulding, is it a coincidence.

liits

Post by liits »

An Ind Coope house [previously Leeds City Breweries] the Dolphin is mentioned back on page 24 with a Leodis photo and one of Drapesy’s own photos. There was no application for renewal of the license at the Licensing Session on 9/2/61 and as licenses then ran for two years, it could have closed anytime from 10/2/59 until that date.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

To me this is one of those rather sad and frightening memory "blanks." I clearly remember all the shops mentioned in the picture, but have no recollection whatever of the Dolphin even though I passed along there almost daily in the 50s/60s.Can someone comment though on the caption which says that the site of the Dolphin became part of the Empire Arcade - surely not - didn't the Empire Arcade occupy exactly the site of the old theatre, just from Briggate to Cross Arcade (King Edward Street to Victoria Quarter - fomerly Queen Victoria Street) where "Empire Palace" can thankfully still be seen in the red stonework, and not go through to Vicar Lane ??    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

BLAKEY wrote: To me this is one of those rather sad and frightening memory "blanks." I clearly remember all the shops mentioned in the picture, but have no recollection whatever of the Dolphin even though I passed along there almost daily in the 50s/60s.Can someone comment though on the caption which says that the site of the Dolphin became part of the Empire Arcade - surely not - didn't the Empire Arcade occupy exactly the site of the old theatre, just from Briggate to Cross Arcade (King Edward Street to Victoria Quarter - fomerly Queen Victoria Street) where "Empire Palace" can thankfully still be seen in the red stonework, and not go through to Vicar Lane ??     I would have said the same Blakey about the Empire Arcade. My recollection is it was a short arcade running as you say from Briggate to Cross Arcade roughly, if not actually, to where part of Harvey Nichol's is in Cross Arcade.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

liits

Post by liits »

I've tried a couple of old map overlays [but I've had a drink...] using the 1908 and the 1891 map.In the grant of the new license, the Licensing Register notes that the new premises are "Upon land now adjoning the Dolpin Inn upon which stands a chmist's shop and part of the yard of the Leadehall Slaughter House and a clothier's shop" so the new would have been beside the sire of the old.Here's the 1891 version....
Attachments
__TFMF_ky3yvevuaxbcpz45lgcthm3n_87de79aa-43d9-431d-8a18-077de4a3f210_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ky3yvevuaxbcpz45lgcthm3n_87de79aa-43d9-431d-8a18-077de4a3f210_0_main.jpg (300.19 KiB) Viewed 6283 times

liits

Post by liits »

.... and the 1908 A = The Dolphin HotelB = The Robin Hood Inn
Attachments
__TFMF_ky3yvevuaxbcpz45lgcthm3n_0c4f6067-2086-47a6-bb49-fd4c5ea7e5d6_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ky3yvevuaxbcpz45lgcthm3n_0c4f6067-2086-47a6-bb49-fd4c5ea7e5d6_0_main.jpg (315.59 KiB) Viewed 6284 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

liits wrote: .... and the 1908 A = The Dolphin HotelB = The Robin Hood Inn Thanks liits - this does seem to confirm that the Leodis caption is incorrect, and I'm still pretty sure that the Empire Arcade never came right through to Vicar Lane - but there again I have to confess that I'd already completely forgotten that it existed at all
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

BLAKEY wrote: liits wrote: .... and the 1908 A = The Dolphin HotelB = The Robin Hood Inn Thanks liits - this does seem to confirm that the Leodis caption is incorrect, and I'm still pretty sure that the Empire Arcade never came right through to Vicar Lane - but there again I have to confess that I'd already completely forgotten that it existed at all It didn't Blakey - it stopped at Cross Arcade, the rear of Harvey Nics.