The Dolphin Vicar Lane

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
volvojack

Re: The Dolphin Vicar Lane

Post by volvojack »

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Yes Volvojack that's the same pub as Brunel posted.

The General Eliott was a dump and a fleapit (and that's been polite) just like the Duncan is on Boar Lane
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tomq

Post by tomq »

I'm old enough to remember when the Duncan was one of the smarter pubs in town. One you could take a date to. Also old enough to remember Nova Scotia before the Manor Farms!
Tom

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

General Elliot...Same Pub .... Different time, I did mention that i frequented it only now and then upstairs.
Never went into the Duncan ... it had a nickname "Mothers" ... something or other. I will a friend of mine in Leeds later and find out

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Some pubs in Leeds were quite good, lunch time or evening as the Landlords kept an eye out for any drunks or possible trouble makers. The Viaduct, Regent, Whitelocks, The Templar, The Three Legs, Horse and Trumpet, Town Hall Tavern and
The Ship were always a pleasure to drink in. I am thinking of these in the 1960s guess many will have changed, closed down etc.
Last edited by volvojack on Mon 07 Dec, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Ones to avoid in my day.
White Swan.
Nags Head, Robin Hood, Market Tavern (Mad House) The Scotsman, Dolphin (West Indians mainly) The Admiral. Marquis of Granby was mainly men spending time after signing on at the Dole Office round the corner, some in toilets putting on overalls after signing on then going back to work.

There were more but can't recollect at the moment.
Pubs like King Edward, and Yorkshire Hussars were o.k. upstairs in the evenings