Leeds lost pubs

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Halfway House at Morley has had a 'for sale' sign up for the last couple of weeks or so, after a long period of repeatedly opening and closing etc etc. On reflection, that should really read closing and opening.Anyway, I went past there on Saturday morning and although there has been no change to the 'for sale' sign - i.e. a diagonal 'sold' across it - another elongated sign has appeared on the wall of the pub which faces Bruntcliffe Road.......'BUDDHA THAI RESTAURANT OPENING SOON'

loinerchris

Post by loinerchris »

jim wrote: loinerchris wrote: ive just passed the albion at armley and someone in their wisdom has decided to box in the old sign with plywood. A travesty!! It's not boarded up loinerchris, they removed the old sign first. I posted on this at the time/s (it was removed in two goes, widely separated) on the "Signs of Old Leodis" thread.Hopefully it will return, as the plans (also on that thread) include a statement that it would be retained.     Ah right i was on the train at the time so couldnt properly. Hopefully it will be returned soon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

loinerchris wrote: Hi leodian as far as i know the duncan still is open i past on friday and the were the usual clientelle having a cig in the doorway! On another point ive just passed the albion at armley and someone in their wisdom has decided to box in the old sign with plywood. A travesty!! Cheers Chris. That made me as I've long noticed whenever I pass by the Duncan (during daylight) that the same blokes always seem to be outside at the doorway, but nobody was when I passed on Monday!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

salt 'n pepper wrote: Halfway House at Morley has had a 'for sale' sign up for the last couple of weeks or so, after a long period of repeatedly opening and closing etc etc. On reflection, that should really read closing and opening.Anyway, I went past there on Saturday morning and although there has been no change to the 'for sale' sign - i.e. a diagonal 'sold' across it - another elongated sign has appeared on the wall of the pub which faces Bruntcliffe Road.......'BUDDHA THAI RESTAURANT OPENING SOON' Hi salt n pepper Looks like there will be a dress code you wont be allowed in unless you are wearing a buddha thai. Im off. He He.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

tilly wrote: salt 'n pepper wrote: Halfway House at Morley has had a 'for sale' sign up for the last couple of weeks or so, after a long period of repeatedly opening and closing etc etc. On reflection, that should really read closing and opening.Anyway, I went past there on Saturday morning and although there has been no change to the 'for sale' sign - i.e. a diagonal 'sold' across it - another elongated sign has appeared on the wall of the pub which faces Bruntcliffe Road.......'BUDDHA THAI RESTAURANT OPENING SOON' Hi salt n pepper Looks like there will be a dress code you wont be allowed in unless you are wearing a buddha thai. Im off. He He. Very good Tilly. HaHaHoHo!! You forgot to get your coat!

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

And when you come back for your coat Tilly, you'd be well advised to wear a tie designed like the one at the attachment!Also, the Morley branch won't be the only Buddha Halfway House. I found.....Buddhist Halfway HouseGreen Haven770 Jurong Road 19.7kmSingapore 576507Tel: 6565 6880/6489 8161Fax: 6562 5016Email: [email protected]
Attachments
__TFMF_tqwictyyad5ctzupktkc1a45_c347b6b8-ac06-43b5-b8f4-d756c6afdd6f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_tqwictyyad5ctzupktkc1a45_c347b6b8-ac06-43b5-b8f4-d756c6afdd6f_0_main.jpg (29.42 KiB) Viewed 6022 times

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

drapesy wrote: The Crooked Billet at Thwaite gate is closed, although there is a 'Sold' sign outside. Whether this means it will reopen as a pub I dont know. I also noticed, and I dont think it has been reported here, that the Punch Clock on the opposite side of the road has reopened after a long time closed. Bizarrely it has been renamed as the 'Crooked Clock' !?! The Crooked Billet has been sold to DM Keith, they are going to demolish it to expand their Skoda dealership premises.The former landlord of the Crooked Billet has indeed moved over the road to what was the Punch Clock, now renamed.
The older I get, the better I was.

billy the buffalo

Post by billy the buffalo »

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

salt 'n pepper wrote: I reported on the fate of the Pointer (Sheepscar) before during the period of refurbishment. It's fate was unknown although there was a planning application on the appropriate Leeds City Council website for a number of residential flats above licensed premises.This morning I noticed that a sign has appeared on the frontage of the building. The sign is best described as small, grubby, unprofessional and not immediately noticeable - certainly to any interested parties.It says simply 'TO LET. RETAIL. RESTAURANT' and lists a mobile telephone number. The 'To Let' sign is long gone but today there is an A4 copy of licensing application stuck to the front door with sellotape.This is it on the Council website...New application Punjabi Sizzler Ltd, 3 Sheepscar Street South, Sheepscar, Leeds, LS7 1AD, Ref. No: PREM/03291/001 Expiry date: 28 February 2013The piece of paper stuck to the door says....Sale of alcohol on the premises, provision of regulated entertainment, provision of late night refreshmentsMon-Sun1200-0200

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Leodian wrote: Passing on Duncan Street today I noticed there was scaffolding at the Duncan pub, which did not look to be open (though it could have been). I was on a bus and could not look well enough to see if it was related to work on the pub or if it was a sign that it may have closed and work was going on for new use. Does anyone know? Passing today (Feb 9 2013) I noticed the scaffolding has gone since I passed by the Duncan on February 4 2013 and it now looks like there has been an attempt to improve some of the external appearance of the Duncan pub.One thing that caught my eye today was a board stating 'Duncan. Ward Room and Lounge'. That or a similar worded board may have long been there but if so I don't recall seeing it. What is a Ward Room?    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.