Leeds lost pubs

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Philt

Post by Philt »

Here's one maybe someone out there can help with.Between 1969 - 1972 I worked at Tetley's Brewery in the computer room. I used to live at Beeston so I would get the Number 8 or 52 bus opposite the Adelphi to go up Meadow Lane towards what is now the end of the M621.Sometimes I used to call into a pub that was a Tetley Pub just up Meadow Lane around about where the ASDA HeadOffice is now. I cannot for the life of me remember it's name. I do recall that it was one of the Pubs which had it's beer still delivered by the horse drawn dray. Incidentally I used to get off the bus at the football ground and walk up Wesley street towards Beeston.This brings other Pubs into memory - The New Peacock which was further down Elland Road from the Old Peacock and on the other side of the road before all the redevelopment of the Lowfields Road area.Also at Beeston , the Punchbowl which was a great meeting place for the beeston lads. Finally ( forgetting the White Hart - never liked it ) the Railway which stood on the corner of Millshaw Road opposite where the Whistlestop is now. - Happy days !! Does anyone remember the Highfield on Southridge Street in Beeston. it had the Melbourne signs and was covered on the outside with those garish green tiles that Melbourne seemed to like

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Philt - I've just had a fascinating time searching leodis.Meadow lane seems to have been wall-to wall pubs over the years In addition to the Red Lion, which survives there has been aSpread EagleEagle and ChildOld Red HouseUnion TavernSouth Market HotelOld GeorgeJacob's Well There was also a 'Fleece Lane' off meadow Lane, suggesting there was once a 'Fleece' and a Brewery - McQuats who supplied the Red Lion, amongst others ( I think there was a pub on Briggate/duncan street nicknamed ' McQuats' for many years)Of these some closed many years ago - my guess is that the pub you remember is Jacob's well - Leodis has a very good picture of it taken in 1964, and it shows it to be a Tetley pub.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

How's this for service !Leodis(http://www.leodis.net) comes up trumps again.This picture was taken in 1964 , so after Tetley's took over melbourne, but you can see the typical Melbourne windows with 'courtiers'.Its well worth a look at this link which has some fascinating posts from people who remember the Highfieldhttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... =FULLPhilt, I dont remember the pub - North Leeds was more my stamping ground - where exactly was it and whats there now?
Attachments
__TFMF_esudvo45yfsgggfpp2k2dg45_882f80d7-a407-40da-9ec2-59bc63849021_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_esudvo45yfsgggfpp2k2dg45_882f80d7-a407-40da-9ec2-59bc63849021_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I've updated my post on page1 of this thread re the Goodman in Hunslet. Compare then and now with my pic to the link on Leodis

stevief

Post by stevief »

drapesy wrote: munki wrote: drapesy wrote: Was this Chaplins? or the wayfinder? or maybe both at different times. I've had more than one pint in here but cant remember - I always get it confused with the other pub on the opposite corner of the Merrion centre - which is still open.Signs on the window say the pub was in the 'good beer guide' in 1996, 97 and 98.Is it just me but this doesn't look like a real building at all - more like some overblown lego-type construction?!?! It was 'The Tap & Spile' in 1991, when I came to Leeds. It certainly was'nt the 'tap and spile' originallythough - I think it had a few names over the years. In the 70's it was called The Highlander and sold Camerons beer.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

You're right Highlander - not 'wayfinder'!!. I knew it was something like that.I would tentatively put forward that it was the Highlander, then Chaplins then the 'Tap and Spile'

rikj

Post by rikj »

I don't think I'd have recognised this from the photo, but it was quite a Leeds landmark until not so very long ago.Photo from Leodis - a photographic archive of Leeds

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Now this is really obscure. This photo (from Leodis)was taken in 1982 at the Stocks hill end of Armley Town street, the Malt Shovel at the right hand side.I remember seeing the old building at the left when it was derelict -as it is in the photo. On a whim I had a closer look one day - the old sign in the centre of this building (above the white 'K.T.' sign )said "Union Cross Inn".searching on Leodis I find that this was an old coaching Inn that dated from the early 1700's - (1707 possibly). There was also a Union Cross Brewery adjacent - You can see the chimney on the left.It ceased to be a pub in 1937 and, sadly, was demolished in 1992 having been derelict for many years.
Attachments
__TFMF_zgqwli55n1e3bz55bnbux345_c83cc764-6f2e-4c48-82da-08f5aab111d8_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_zgqwli55n1e3bz55bnbux345_c83cc764-6f2e-4c48-82da-08f5aab111d8_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 2456 times

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

An even better pic of the derelict Union Cross from Leodis - taken just before demolition.
Attachments
__TFMF_kvxnso553ebdkqeunulw1j55_e3ffbf55-f9f7-4148-b0b4-a7d7e4a0d66a_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_kvxnso553ebdkqeunulw1j55_e3ffbf55-f9f7-4148-b0b4-a7d7e4a0d66a_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (40.53 KiB) Viewed 2456 times

Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

drapesy wrote: You're right Highlander - not 'wayfinder'!!. I knew it was something like that.I would tentatively put forward that it was the Highlander, then Chaplins then the 'Tap and Spile' Yeah, that sounds right. I remember it as Chaplins and a mate said it used to be the Highlander. The other pub in the Merrion was Woosters, Next door to the terrible TC's nightclub.My old route used to be The Bond (gone), Oscars (now the Mixing Tin), Conservatory (still hanging on), The Bank (gone), Stumps (gone) The Boulevard (now the Red Leopard) then home (pissed).The area around Beeston/Hunslet used to have loads of Little pubs on various corners only living room sized.My step dad lived near one called The Whitehouse on Beeston Hill. He says it was an Irish pub. Anyone know it?