StephenDawson

Re: Leeds lost pubs

Post by StephenDawson »

windmill club 1960s0

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi all
any body remember the 2pubs on this short section of road at the bottom of domestic street,if you came out of water lane
with the volunteer pub on your left go straight forward they were on your left the road ran to the smyths arms.
stay safe
sm1

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

It looks like The Victoria behind the town hall has closed probably due to COVID restrictions and is,guess what,going to be flats/apartments
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

snowman1 wrote:
Tue 12 Oct, 2021 5:41 pm
hi all
any body remember the 2pubs on this short section of road at the bottom of domestic street,if you came out of water lane
with the volunteer pub on your left go straight forward they were on your left the road ran to the smyths arms.
stay safe
sm1
There were a couple of other pubs on Wortley Lane. One was called the St George's Inn at 9 Wortley Lane and the other was called the Alexandra Arms at 19 Wortley Lane. These are, possibly, the pubs that you were thinking of.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

dogduke wrote:
Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:27 am
It looks like The Victoria behind the town hall has closed probably due to COVID restrictions and is,guess what,going to be flats/apartments
It was owned by Milton Inns, the company was dissolved in April this year

https://find-and-update.company-informa ... y/07144492

Jann

Post by Jann »

The Victoria hotel behind the town hall is showing as Permanently Closed on google maps , such a shame it was a good traditional pub

jma

Post by jma »

Once the courts had moved from the Town Hall, I think the Victoria was always vulnerable. It's surprising, in a way, that it survived so long. Having the courtrooms next door converted into a pub cannot have helped.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi iansmithofotley
thanks for the info re the 2 pubs on wortley lane,i worked on springwell rd in the 1960s,the pub we used most of the time was the goodman a great little pup and the pie and peas and mint sauce were very good but for a change we all went to the tetley one i think the other was john smiths house,try as hard as i could i could not remember the road name until you said wortley lane
thanks for the reply
sm1

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

snowman1 wrote:
Fri 15 Oct, 2021 1:16 pm
hi iansmithofotley
thanks for the info re the 2 pubs on wortley lane,i worked on springwell rd in the 1960s,the pub we used most of the time was the goodman a great little pup and the pie and peas and mint sauce were very good but for a change we all went to the tetley one i think the other was john smiths house,try as hard as i could i could not remember the road name until you said wortley lane
thanks for the reply
sm1
Thank you. The St George’s Inn was a John Smith’s pub. The Alexandra Arms was a Tetley’s pub.