Leeds lost pubs

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

Re: Leeds lost pubs

Post by Leodian »

It may not yet be a lost pub but is the White Horse on York Road still operating? Passing by on a bus recently I noticed the pub looked very run down.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

+Don't think the White Horse pub has been open for some time. as you say the frontage looks rundown, the extension they had built is boarded up and has been for some time. Shame, although large pubs packed with drinkers and music playing are sadly a thing of the past. unless you like rap (c)

The mention of the "British Queen" pub reminds me of the times in the 60s when it was a bit run down owing to the lack of customers, no houses left around there. we used to have a drink in the afternoons as i think the Landlord was clad of the custom. the nice thing was when a beer delivery came it with the dray horses and wagon. They were mainly used for shows etc. and deliveries local and on flat roads
The exception to that was they used to go up Dewsbury Road past "Tommy Wass" as a driver lived up there and popped home for a cup of tea? maybe.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

the white horse on york road is still open,i dont no how as it looks very run down.
sm1

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

During the week we used to go the rounds in Beeston. the Punch bowl was our favourite, having made our way down Lady Pit Lane to the pubs in that area, there was a quaint little pub called the Kasooth.( has been mentioned on here before ) We only went in once as it was used by Lads from Shaftsbury House which was a large boarding house for Labourers and some dubious characters. and this Boozer only being small i heard that trouble was always bubbling just below the surface. Like i said earlier we only went in once.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

There you go Jack, pictures courtesy of Leodis.
Attachments
200378_56460208.jpg
200378_56460208.jpg (20.66 KiB) Viewed 10450 times
200377_22591799.jpg
200377_22591799.jpg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 10450 times

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thanks for that Tabby Cat, there is Shaftesbury peeping in the back ground. thank goodness i was never as low as that to warrent sleeping there.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Jack and snowman1 for your comments about the White Horse :).
I've just looked at the Old Maps UK website and found a White Horse Inn there in at least 1854, so it's been the location of an inn/pub for a very long time.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

One pub i remember is the Union Inn on Pearson Street i lived two streets from it but when i left Hunslet i was only sixteen i managed to go back once before it was demolished, for a legal drink this would have been about 1961 happy days.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

tilly wrote:
Sun 23 Aug, 2020 7:17 pm
One pub i remember is the Union Inn on Pearson Street i lived two streets from it but when i left Hunslet i was only sixteen i managed to go back once before it was demolished, for a legal drink this would have been about 1961 happy days.
Although it was before my time Sid was there a pub in the area called the Pineapple? Near Leathly Rd perhaps. It's just something my dad once mentioned years ago.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?