Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
TABBYCAT

Re: Leeds lost pubs

Post by TABBYCAT »

Excellent Sir many thanks for this. :D

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Fred yes there was, it was on Pottery Fields not far from what is the Motor Bike training center if it is still there this is or was in the old council yard when i was a kid we used to go to the yard on an evening to see all the rats running about. Further down from this was a brick building still standing last time i past thats where the council took all the mattresses to be fumigated prier to people moving to new houses from Hunslet to prevent the transfer of bed bugs.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Thanks Sid.
It would seem way back then there was a pub on every street corner with a lot of them being "house pubs" it would appear.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

They were public houses, offering company,comfortable furniture, warmth and food and drink. Which was often better than their actual houses.

tilly

Post by tilly »

On the subject of how many pubs there were back in the day many of the jobs done were labour intensive after a shift the first thing in a lot of cases was a pint or two.The manual work done was a lot harder than we have today technology has made things a lot better in Hunslet where i come from industry was paramount such a shame it has all but gone now, Hunslet helped put Leeds on the world wide map.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

My dad worked at the Hunslet Engine Company and finished work on a Saturday at noon. When I went to meet him from work I used to sit outside the pub to wait for him. he didn't actually go in the pub, he was in a hurry to get to his allotment on Dewsbury Road. The pub was called Whitehouse Hotel.

jma

Post by jma »

I don't know if anybody has mentioned this before, but in the days when pubs were like corner shops - on many a street corner, the great majority of pubs on Armley Road and beyond to Bradford were on the right-hand side heading out of Leeds. An obvious exception was the White Horse, the first pub on Armley Road. Heading out from Bradford on Leeds Road, the majority were again on the right.

GiddyKipper

Post by GiddyKipper »

jma wrote:
Tue 25 Aug, 2020 10:28 am
I don't know if anybody has mentioned this before, but in the days when pubs were like corner shops - on many a street corner, the great majority of pubs on Armley Road and beyond to Bradford were on the right-hand side heading out of Leeds. An obvious exception was the White Horse, the first pub on Armley Road. Heading out from Bradford on Leeds Road, the majority were again on the right.
If you ignore modern establishments, the A65 out of Leeds is the same. Through Burley, Kirkstall, Horsforth, Rawdon etc. There isn't a pub on the left until you reach Guiseley at the Yorkshire Rose, that's almost 9 miles!

Tassi

Post by Tassi »

An any one remember the name of the pub that was opposite the bus station in Leeds.
It was near the bridge at crossroads, they used to sell horse meat around the corner from it. And you could see Parish Church from it.
My parents were managers around 1963.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Tassi wrote:
Fri 12 Mar, 2021 5:48 pm
An any one remember the name of the pub that was opposite the bus station in Leeds.
It was near the bridge at crossroads, they used to sell horse meat around the corner from it. And you could see Parish Church from it.
My parents were managers around 1963.
Lloyd's Arms ??

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL