Stanhope arms Rodley

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
LS1

Post by LS1 »

thanks for clearing that one up!

smallships

Post by smallships »

Uno Hoo wrote: Sort of damned with faint praise then, Stutters. Sorry it wasn't a better experience. Come back Modley & Showers, all is forgiven! Well it seams as though no one remembers Alan Modley at the Stanope Arms. Now is there anyone on the site remembers The Brinns 4 Calverley Bridge Rodley they seam to be lost.    Smallships

smallships

Post by smallships »

Uno Hoo wrote: Sort of damned with faint praise then, Stutters. Sorry it wasn't a better experience. Come back Modley & Showers, all is forgiven! Well it seams as though no one remembers Alan Modley at the Stanope Arms. Now is there anyone on the site remembers The Brinns 4 Calverley Bridge Rodley they seam to be lost. And a Happy New Year to all the Members from the cold coast Bridlington

cass48

Post by cass48 »

I've only just joined but I remember the Brinns at 4 Calverley Bridge very well - Mrs Brinn was my Godmother. I was born and brought up in the house next door!

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Uno Hoo wrote: Don't remember lances.The earliest landlord I can remember at the Stanhope was Jack Showers, a complete nutjob. He left to take over the New Inn at Appletreewick which he then turned into Britain's first non-smoking pub in memory of one of his mistresses who'd died of lung cancer. I went there once; he'd managed to make it a most unwelcoming mausoleum. He'd also changed from eccentric to downright unpleasant.At least, as Paris the premises have had a new lease of life. The pub was closed for some considerable time.Is the Railway at Rodley still doing OK? I am pretty sure that the Loony landlord Jack Showers had a no smoking practice at Rodley. seem to remember reading about it in the Y.E.Post.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

j.c.d. wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: Don't remember lances.The earliest landlord I can remember at the Stanhope was Jack Showers, a complete nutjob. He left to take over the New Inn at Appletreewick which he then turned into Britain's first non-smoking pub in memory of one of his mistresses who'd died of lung cancer. I went there once; he'd managed to make it a most unwelcoming mausoleum. He'd also changed from eccentric to downright unpleasant.At least, as Paris the premises have had a new lease of life. The pub was closed for some considerable time.Is the Railway at Rodley still doing OK? I am pretty sure that the Loony landlord Jack Showers had a no smoking practice at Rodley. seem to remember reading about it in the Y.E.Post. I don't think you'r correct here j.c.d. He didn't start that no smoking policy until he'd become licensee of a pub at Appletreewick. I remember him being the first in the county or even the country to ban smoking in his pub! It was featured on Look North,way back!
ex-Armley lad

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

smallships wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: Sort of damned with faint praise then, Stutters. Sorry it wasn't a better experience. Come back Modley & Showers, all is forgiven! Well it seams as though no one remembers Alan Modley at the Stanope Arms. Now is there anyone on the site remembers The Brinns 4 Calverley Bridge Rodley they seam to be lost. And a Happy New Year to all the Members from the cold coast Bridlington Hi Smallships,My wife's best friend's husband 's father - now there's a close connection - was a pub & club entertainer in Bradford and a close friend of Albert Modley. I don't remember Modley myself as I didn't live in Bradford at the relevant time altho' even if I had, it would still have been at the end of his career. I'll ask Mel next time I see him if he can give any further info' but might get my knuckles rapped by the SL moderators for going too far off topic, because apart from the erstwhile landlord at the Stanhope, Albert Modley has no Leeds history.I wonder how many people turned up at the Stanhope, Rodley, having intended to be at the Stanhope, Horsforth, and vice-versa?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

ggbix

Post by ggbix »

LS1 wrote: I'll have to go have a look for myself as I'm not sure how old this pic is from Google earth. Though it clearly shows the metal shutters and the Paris sign in the left hand side. Please someone confirm if poss for my own sanity! There also used to be a pub opposite the Stanhope. You can see the word 'pub' on the orange sign but I just can't think of what it was called for the life of me. Last time I was in there was 1989The stanhope was also a hotel for the nearby Rodley and Calverley railway station.

ggbix

Post by ggbix »

LS1 wrote: I'll have to go have a look for myself as I'm not sure how old this pic is from Google earth. Though it clearly shows the metal shutters and the Paris sign in the left hand side. Please someone confirm if poss for my own sanity! There also used to be a pub opposite the Stanhope. You can see the word 'pub' on the orange sign but I just can't think of what it was called for the life of me. Last time I was in there was 1989The stanhope was also a hotel for the nearby Rodley and Calverley railway station.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

ggbix wrote: LS1 wrote: I'll have to go have a look for myself as I'm not sure how old this pic is from Google earth. Though it clearly shows the metal shutters and the Paris sign in the left hand side. Please someone confirm if poss for my own sanity! There also used to be a pub opposite the Stanhope. You can see the word 'pub' on the orange sign but I just can't think of what it was called for the life of me. Last time I was in there was 1989The stanhope was also a hotel for the nearby Rodley and Calverley railway station. Wasn't this pic the pub? That sign says "rent this pub" of something like that?