Stanhope arms Rodley

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Second request please !Any more info on 'Lancers' please.Lifetime drinker of beer and frequenter of pubs large and smallsince about 1961(Don't mention Youngers No.3 and 'The Hussars)but never ever a Lancer(Hussar yes !)
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Is Paris still going? Last time I went down there all the metal shutters were on it.

liits

Post by liits »

dogduke wrote: Second request please !Any more info on 'Lancers' please.Lifetime drinker of beer and frequenter of pubs large and smallsince about 1961(Don't mention Youngers No.3 and 'The Hussars)but never ever a Lancer(Hussar yes !) This is only a guess but it sounds something like the “Wunderbar” postmix dispense system. I’ve seen a similar thing used for dispensing beer (in the US) so, also another guess, it would have been keg rubbish, not cask – although it is possible to dispense cask beer under pressure
Attachments
__TFMF_zycyc555zplif355ftdx1455_4ba5af7f-718f-49e1-99d2-331db6ff1fed_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zycyc555zplif355ftdx1455_4ba5af7f-718f-49e1-99d2-331db6ff1fed_0_main.jpg (32.13 KiB) Viewed 5531 times

smallships

Post by smallships »

liits wrote: dogduke wrote: Second request please !Any more info on 'Lancers' please.Lifetime drinker of beer and frequenter of pubs large and smallsince about 1961(Don't mention Youngers No.3 and 'The Hussars)but never ever a Lancer(Hussar yes !) This is only a guess but it sounds something like the “Wunderbar” postmix dispense system. I’ve seen a similar thing used for dispensing beer (in the US) so, also another guess, it would have been keg rubbish, not cask – although it is possible to dispense cask beer under pressure Dogduke. Now you have cracked it, Just imagine your photo with no electrics then think about the length of a welders gun with his burner just a press hande piped to a barrel with a pump betwen and eh presto. this was in the 40-50s Maybe it would have been better to just say a lance.     Smallships

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Uno Hoo wrote: I've remembered that Showers wrote an autobiography called "Showers & Bright Intervals" which I read. The only bit I can remember is an account of doing things with a pet monkey that are not for the eyes of the sensitive readers of this forum. But, as I say, he was a complete nutjob.Glad to hear the Railway seems to be surviving and thriving. Hope you have an enjoyable evening, Stutters. Thanks Uno,I'm sure we will. Thats if we dont get stuck in the snow thats forecast! Yes. Paris is still going or some one is decieving us? They even emailed me a menu for Sat, looks good too!Will let you know how we get on!
ex-Armley lad

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I'll have to go have a look for myself as I'm not sure how old this pic is from Google earth. Though it clearly shows the metal shutters and the Paris sign in the left hand side. Please someone confirm if poss for my own sanity!
Attachments
__TFMF_i2fe5nvvitd1zd55fkjwg5vk_ac47c5ef-6a55-41ac-9b60-2216c153b34c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_i2fe5nvvitd1zd55fkjwg5vk_ac47c5ef-6a55-41ac-9b60-2216c153b34c_0_main.jpg (131.51 KiB) Viewed 5531 times

smallships

Post by smallships »

LS1 wrote: I'll have to go have a look for myself as I'm not sure how old this pic is from Google earth. Though it clearly shows the metal shutters and the Paris sign in the left hand side. Please someone confirm if poss for my own sanity! I don't remember all that much, yet I haven't found anyone on this site that new alan modley maybe Iam getting too old.    

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

smallships wrote: LS1 wrote: I'll have to go have a look for myself as I'm not sure how old this pic is from Google earth. Though it clearly shows the metal shutters and the Paris sign in the left hand side. Please someone confirm if poss for my own sanity! I don't remember all that much, yet I haven't found anyone on this site that new alan modley maybe Iam getting too old.     It's hard enough finding anyone these days who remembers Albert Modley!"Ee, in't it grand when yer daft?"
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

LS1 wrote: I'll have to go have a look for myself as I'm not sure how old this pic is from Google earth. Though it clearly shows the metal shutters and the Paris sign in the left hand side. Please someone confirm if poss for my own sanity! Hello LS 1,I'll see if I can find time tomorrow to run down and take a photo, just to put your mind at rest! As I said earlier,I'm going there for dinner on Sat. Night. so it is open for business!
ex-Armley lad

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Uno Hoo wrote: smallships wrote: LS1 wrote: I'll have to go have a look for myself as I'm not sure how old this pic is from Google earth. Though it clearly shows the metal shutters and the Paris sign in the left hand side. Please someone confirm if poss for my own sanity! I don't remember all that much, yet I haven't found anyone on this site that new alan modley maybe Iam getting too old.     It's hard enough finding anyone these days who remembers Albert Modley!"Ee, in't it grand when yer daft?" From the days of steam railway engines:"I always wanted to be an engine driver but me eyes weren't far enough apart".
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?