Stanhope arms Rodley

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
snotty

Re: Stanhope arms Rodley

Post by snotty »

Hey , I'm browsing this thread ,looking for information about the A35 Pie and Pea van , "Mr Man Sir " ,that used to park up between the Eagle and Torre Rd Bus Garage .
Then I came across The Stanhope & Jack Showers.

My Dad was the resident bandleader there,in the 1950s. I have a photo of me dressed as an elf , letting in the new year ,(1954, I think )... By gum , he could tell some tales !

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

It's now some nightclub aint it?
Come on Leeds United!

smallships

the brinns 4 calverly bridge rodley

Post by smallships »

cass48 if you read this make contact with Small12 ships

rawdon_tyke

Re: Brinn.

Post by rawdon_tyke »

smallships wrote:Uno Hoo wrote: Sort of damned with faint praise then, Stutters. Sorry it wasn't a better experience. Come back Modley & Showers, all is forgiven! Well it seams as though no one remembers Alan Modley at the Stanope Arms. Now is there anyone on the site remembers The Brinns 4 Calverley Bridge Rodley they seam to be lost.    Smallships
Hi Smallships, my wife Grandfather Ralph Brinn lived at 4 Calverley bridge. His Mother and uncle both worked at the Stansfield Arms. Regards.

rawdon_tyke

Post by rawdon_tyke »

Hi Smallships , my wifes Grandfather Ralph Brinn lived at Calveley Bridge with his parents and siblings. His father Patrick Brinn worked at the gas works. Ralphs mother Elizabeth nee Manley worked at The Stanhope arms along with her brother. My father in law John Brinn lives at the side of the river in Newlay, just by Pollards bridge..Regards.

trophy

Post by trophy »

went to C/R to watch a steam train this morning and the stanhope had been demolished.

labrador

Post by labrador »

Jack Showers took over the Stanhope Hotel when it was in a very bad way. His first employee was Jack Brin who had a "Wellingtonesque nose" and played dominoes there and had formerly worked there as a waiter when it was a Railway Hotel. Others were Brenda, Willy and Beryl who became his second wife after Gracie died of Tuberculosis. As well as Allen Modley there was Wilfred Pickles, Irene Johnson, Paul Sange and Bill Turner who performed there. He had pet monkeys, goats, alligators and a cockerel. He got to dislike smoking because of the damage it did with 45% of the pubs chairs showing burn marks due to the carelessness of the smokers. Although he was clearly a very outgoing eccentric he did rescue the pub from oblivion at the time. Strangely my grandfather had a copy of the book and I have just read it.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

labrador wrote:
Thu 26 Sep, 2019 4:59 pm
Jack Showers took over the Stanhope Hotel when it was in a very bad way. His first employee was Jack Brin who had a "Wellingtonesque nose" and played dominoes there and had formerly worked there as a waiter when it was a Railway Hotel. Others were Brenda, Willy and Beryl who became his second wife after Gracie died of Tuberculosis. As well as Allen Modley there was Wilfred Pickles, Irene Johnson, Paul Sange and Bill Turner who performed there. He had pet monkeys, goats, alligators and a cockerel. He got to dislike smoking because of the damage it did with 45% of the pubs chairs showing burn marks due to the carelessness of the smokers. Although he was clearly a very outgoing eccentric he did rescue the pub from oblivion at the time. Strangely my grandfather had a copy of the book and I have just read it.

I think he was the first Landlord to ban smoking on his premises.